Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Decoding Tesla Model S VINs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Thread Summary

Member Generated Post Wiki
Aug 14, 2012
VIN Decoding Table for all years of Model S

Note: Some values were only used in certain years and some digits changed how they were used.

Digits 1-3, WMI: 5YJ = Tesla
Digit 4, Line/Series: S = Model S
Digit 5, Body Type:
A = 5 Door Hatchback LHD​
B = 5 Door Hatchback RHD​
Digit 6, Restraint System:
1 =​
Manual Type 2 USA Seat Belts, Dual Front Airbags, Front/Rear Side Airbags, Knee Airbags [from the 2012-2013 NHTSA filing]​
Manual Type 2 Seat Belts (FR, SR*3) with front Airbags, PODS, side Inflatable restraints, Knee Airbags (FR) [from the 2014 NHTSA filing]​
Manual Type 2 Seat Belts (FR, SR*3) With Front Airbags, Side Inflatable restraints. [from the 2015 NHTSA filing]​

3 = Manual Type 2 Seat Belts (FR, SR*2) with front Airbags, side Inflatable restraints, Knee Airbags (FR) [from the 2014 NHTSA filing]​
4 = Manual Type 2 Seat Belts (FR, SR*2) With Front Airbags, Side Inflatable restraints. [from the 2015 NHTSA filing]​
6 = exact meaning unknown used in non-US orders.​
7 = exact meaning unknown used in non-US orders.​
8 = exact meaning unkown used in non-US executive rear seat orders.​
Digit 7, Charger Type (2012-2013) / Battery Type (2014-2015) / Fuel Type (2015+):
A = 10kw Charger​
B = 20kw Charger​
C = 10kw Charger, w/DC Fast Charge​
D = 20kw Charger, w/DC Fast Charge​
H = Lithium - Ion Battery - High Capacity (85 kWh)​
S = Lithium - Ion Battery - Standard Capacity (60 kWh until retired and replaced with 70 kWh battery in mid 2015)​
V = Lithium - Ion Battery - Very High Capacity (90 kWh)​
E = Lithium - Ion Battery - Extended Capacity (90 kWh) P90D Ludicrous​
For all models, effective 1 August 2015:
E = Electric​
Digit 8, Motor/Drive Unit (2012+) & Battery Type (2012-2013):
C = Base A/C Motor, Tier 2 Battery (31-40kWh)​
G = Base A/C Motor, Tier 4 Battery (51-60 kWh)​
N = Base A/C Motor, Tier 7 Battery (81-90 kWh)​
P = Performance A/C Motor, Tier 7 Battery (81-90 kWh)​
1 = Single Motor - Standard​
2 = Dual Motor - Standard​
4 = Dual Motor - Performance​
5 = Dual Motor - Long Range (2021+ refresh)​
6 = Tri Motor - Plaid​
Digit 9, Check Digit: Variable
Digit 10, Model Year:
C = 2012​
D = 2013​
E = 2014​
F = 2015​
G = 2016​
H = 2017​
Digit 11, Manufacture:
F = Fremont, CA (FRE)​
P = Palo Alto, CA (PAO)​
Digit 12, Production Series:
A = Alpha Prototype​
B = Beta Prototype​
R = Release Candidate Vehicle​
P = Production Vehicle​
S = Signature Series Vehicle​
F = Founder Series Vehicle​
0-9 = Production Vehicle (replaces P to allow 6 digit sequence numbers)​
Digits 13-17, Production Sequence

Sources

2012-2013

Model S VINs from 2012-2013 are encoded according to these rules for the US:
ftp://ftp.nhtsa.dot.gov/mfrmail/ORG8047.pdf

Model S VINs for 2014 are encoded according to these rules for the US:
ftp://ftp.nhtsa.dot.gov/mfrmail/ORG9130.pdf

The 2014 encoding made some changes to the use of some fields. A new restraint system encoding of digit 6 was added to allow for a non-bench backseat. It dropped the inclusion of the built-in charger from being included in the VIN in digit 7 to be replaced with a new indication of the battery size (Standard or High Capacity). It also changed the combined motor/battery size digit 8 into a Dual or Single motor indicator. The net effect of these changes makes it impossible to distinguish a S85, P85, or P85+ from each other. Nor can the P85D or S85D be distinguished from each other.

Model S VINs for 2015 through July 31st are encoded according to these rules for the US:
ftp://ftp.nhtsa.dot.gov/mfrmail/ORG10373.pdf

Effective August 1, 2015, Model S VINs for the U.S. are encoded according to these rules:
ftp://ftp.nhtsa.dot.gov/mfrmail/ORG11229.pdf

Very little changed from the 2014 format. The restraint system digit (digit 6), retired the value of 3 for the split backseats (Executive Backseats) and replaced it with 4. It's unclear if 3 was ever actually used since the Executive Backseats weren't announced until January 12th, 2015.

Looks like Tesla is ceasing to use digit 12 as a production series indicator and starting to just use it as part of the sequence number. This is necessary to deal with sequence numbers larger than 100k which Tesla is approaching. There isn't a new NHTSA filing yet but I'd expect that to show up soonish though NHTSA takes their time posting sometimes. Initial reports here:
Tracking Model S 85D Delivery Thread

Effective August 1, Digit 7 is now always E, for "Fuel type = Electric". Digit 8 is in the range 1-4 based on single motor vs. dual motor, and standard vs. performance (though in practice it isn't possible to order a single motor performance version).

Differences for cars sold outside the US

It was observed during late 2014 that Digit 6 for European and Australian orders could have a value or 6 or 7. It's not entirely clear what the difference that value means, but it seems likely now that 6 is equivalent to the US 1 and 7 is equivalent to the US 3 but with fewer airbags (knee airbags are required in the US but not in other regions and aren't necessary for safety since the Model S does not have an engine). 2015 orders destined for Europe with the Executive Rear Seat option appear to have 8 in the 6th digit, which probably is the equivalent to the 4 found in the 2015 NHTSA filing but again without the front knee airbags.

Right Hand Drive vehicles have a B instead of an A in digit 5 (the body type digit). Though as you can see below the old beta cars also had a B in this position even though they were all Left Hand Drive.

Finding NHTSA Filings

You can find filings that Tesla Motors has made with the NHTSA (National Nighway Transportation Safety Administration) regarding the encoding of their VINs by going to:
NHTSA Product Information Catalog and Vehicle Listing
Put "Tesla Motors" in the Manufacturer Name field or "5YJ" in the WMI field. The Part 565 data is the filings they have made for VIN decoding.

The following information is preserved for historical reasons.

We'll collect any Model S VINs here. Feel free to contribute. 😄

5YJSB1A24C2B00014 Beta #14 Pearl White
5YJSB1A28C1B00023 Beta #23
5YJSB1A29C1B00029 Beta #29, Silver
5YJSB1A23C1B00043 Beta #43, Pearl White
5YJSB1A25C1B00044 Beta #44, Sig Red
5YJSB1A22C1B00048 Beta #48
5YJSB1A2XC1B00048 Beta #55, Silver

5YJSA1AP7CFR00049 Release Candidate?, Black
5YJSA1AN5CFR00050 Get Amped @ Palo Alto, Non-performance, Silver
5YJSA1AP0CFR00104 Get Amped @ New York, Black
5YJSA1AN4CFR00105 Get Amped @ New York, Sunset Red
5YJSA1AN6CFR00106 Get Amped @ New York, Brown
5YJSA1AP6CFR00107 Get Amped @ Scottsdale, Performance, Dolphin Grey
5YJSA1ANXCFR00108 Get Amped @ New York, Green
5YJSA1AN1CFR00109 Get Amped @ Palo Alto, Catalina white
5YJSA1AN1CFR00112 Get Amped @ Scottsdale, Non-performance, Silver
5YJSA1AP3CFR00114 Performance, Black
5YJSA1AP5CFR00115 Performance, Signature Red
5YJSA1AP7CFR00116 Get Amped @ New York, Performance, Silver
5YJSA1AN9CFR00102 Get Amped @ Toronto, Non-performance, Blue

5YJSA1DP6CFP01201 Get Amped @ Palo Alto, Blue
5YJSA1DP9CFP01208 Get Amped @ Palo Alto, Black
5YJSA1DPXCFP01203 Performance, Brown, Pano roof, test drive car for Washington Square Showroom (Portland, OR)

Customer cars:

5YJSA1DP8CFF00001 Founders' #1, Performance version, 85 kWh battery, Signature Red
5YJSA1DPXCFF00002 Founders' #2, Performance version, 85 kWh battery, Black
5YJSA1DP3CFF00004 Founders' #4, Signature Red
5YJSA1DN3CFF00017 Founders' #17, 85 Non-performance, Signature Red
5YJSA1DP6CFF00028 Performance, Signature Red
5YJSA1DPXCFF00033 Founders' #33, Performance, Silver
5YJSA1DP3CFF00035 Founders' #35, Performance, Silver

5YJSA1DP2CFS00001 SSL #1, JasonC, Black
5YJSA1DP2CFS00029 SSL #32, ggr, Performance, custom color
5YJSA1DN6CFS00064 Non Performance, SSL #77, not standard color, black interior, pano roof
5YJSA1E44GF120000 P90D Ludicrous

Last edited by a moderator:
VIN plate of the Model S at the Bellevue Store:

attachment.php?attachmentid=3748.png
5YJSB1A28C1B00023

Probably a safe assumption that the "B" in the 12 digit is for Beta. Anyone get any Alpha VINs?

Good work, Doug. Didn't know anybody had snagged any Model S VINs yet. Collecting them might prove to be prohibitive if it's built in the volumes they are aiming for! But cool to see nonetheless.

I haven't seen any info on the Model S on the NHTSA site yet, but I imagine you're on the right track. 11th plant digit of 1 apparently represents the NUMMI plant (I guess we can stop calling it that now, can't we?). Restraint system will be some representation of however many airbags they put in, motor type is anyone's guess, unless someone has any insider tech info on it.

Interesting to see the Beta as a MY2012; I snapped a MY2010 VIN on a prototype Volt back at the 2010 Chicago Auto Show. Regular production Model S units are going to be MY2013, correct?

By this I would logically assume the 4th digit of Model X VINs to be X. ; )

Well we don't need (or want to) collect them all. Just enough to be able to decipher what each digit means. Would also be cool to see how Tesla handles the prototype VINs. Back when we saw the Alphas, they were referred to by VIN, but only the last 3 digits or so. I think the Model S they showed at the March 2009 unveiling was a converted Mercedes CLS with a Roadster drivetrain. So it would be interesting to see what VIN it has.

The NAIIS VIN (14, mlascano's post) has a plant code of 2.
The Bellevue VIN (23, doug's post) has a plant code of 1.

The linked Roadster thread shows 3 (in SFZ VINs) or 1 (in 5YJ VINs) for that slot.

Do you expect the Roadster and Model S use the same IDs for plant code?

Let me rephrase my question to try to be clearer...

Should we expect Tesla to use 1 to mean the same thing across product models, 2 to be consistent across product models, etc? Or should we expect that a "plant M" for model S and "plant M" for model Q don't necessarily mean the same thing?

Should we expect Tesla to use 1 to mean the same thing across product models, 2 to be consistent across product models, etc?
I think you got your answer, but I'll try. I would expect for the Model S on, yes. But no if you include the Roadster (unless you think Beta023 was built in Menlo Park).

I think you got your answer, but I'll try. I would expect for the Model S on, yes. But no if you include the Roadster (unless you think Beta023 was built in Menlo Park).
So I think you're saying "consistent nomenclature within model" but "non-consistent nomenclature across models". So "no" to my question then.

So I think you're saying "consistent nomenclature within model" but "non-consistent nomenclature across models". So "no" to my question then.
No, I'm saying that it will likely be consistent across models going forward with the Model S, Model X, and whatever Tesla builds in the future.
I don't expect the Model S and the Roadster to be the same.
Just my guess, though.

Should we expect Tesla to use 1 to mean the same thing across product models, 2 to be consistent across product models, etc? Or should we expect that a "plant M" for model S and "plant M" for model Q don't necessarily mean the same thing?

Based on what I have seen, a manufacturer desginates a plant code over all of its product lines. The plant code will not vary even if different models are built there.