Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Google Chrome

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've found that this site loads much slower on Google Chrome than on Firefox. It's mostly on loading actual threads rather than the menus. I've tested this on two separate computers. I think it all started around the time the "Tweet" option was added to the bottom of each post, which was a few months ago.

Has anyone else noticed this?

I've found that this site loads much slower on Google Chrome than on Firefox. It's mostly on loading actual threads rather than the menus. I've tested this on two separate computers. I think it all started around the time the "Tweet" option was added to the bottom of each post, which was a few months ago.

Yep, the Tweet also started a holdup when posting. That is, after typing, the "Post Quick Reply"does not load and the workaround has to be go to the "Go Advanced" and post from there.

Wow I first tried using IE8 (work computer is XP) and it was unusable. Then started using chrome, and is mostly ok. If FF is indeed faster I may have to install it.

Yes, I noticed a big slowdown when Twitter and Facebook links were added. I could see my browser spending more time sending those sites link visit data then actually loading content from here. I made a fuss to the forum operator, who then removed the Facebook links but left the Twitter links. So it is still somewhat slow, but not as bad as it was for a while.

In response to the slowdown I changed my forum settings to show less posts per page which helped, but means I am doing more page stepping than I used to do.

Last edited:

But how long does firefox take to open? It's the slowest browser to open, slower that IE, Chrome is the fastest. I could load the TM.com site 10 times before firefox opens.

Last edited:
No speed or functionality problems here.

I'm using Chrome on an ancient laptop on XP too.

So it seems like Me, vfx, TEG and maybe ElSupreme are having problems with Google Chrome. NigelM and dpeilow aren't having problems with Chrome.

Do you think it has to do with OS? I'm just trying to narrow it down (software testing is part of my job description at work). I've tested with Vista and Windows 7 and had problems with Chrome. dpeilow tested with XP and had no problems with Chrome.

For those of you that use Chrome, can you post your OS and whether you're having problems or not? Maybe we can get this figured out.

I don't use Chrome. I had noticed the slowdown using Firefox.
It was unusable for me with Facebook+Twitter links.
Now that it has just Twitter, and I have less posts per page it is usable, but not as quick to load as it was before this "social network integration."
If the Twitter links are not doing much good I hope they get removed to speed up loading again.

There must be some other factor in the variability of the slowdown from person to person... Java version? Internet connection speed? Virus scanners? Free memory? Speed of the Twitter cache server local to that user?

For those of you that use Chrome, can you post your OS and whether you're having problems or not? Maybe we can get this figured out.

I have Chrome on Windows 7, am using 20 posts per page, with no problems. HOWEVER, I also use my Kindle Fire sometimes for hanging out surfing from the couch and I've had not problems there either. As far as Internet connection I'm using Verizon Fios 25MBits up and down....

This site is much faster redirecting the following to 127.0.0.1 via etc/hosts:

doubleclick.net
doubleclick.com
googleads.g.doubleclick.net
platform.twitter.com
connect.facebook.net

If you don't understand this message, don't ask how to do it. It can be dangerous.

This site is much faster redirecting the following to 127.0.0.1 via etc/hosts:

doubleclick.net
doubleclick.com
googleads.g.doubleclick.net
platform.twitter.com
connect.facebook.net

I also saw a large slow down on Chrome (on the Mac) back when the twitter stuff was added, so I did the above for just platform.twitter.com. Made a very large difference. Chrome still seems to 'stall' if I open 5 or more tabs from this site at a time. Never bothered to investigate further...just don't do that anymore. I'll add the other sites above and see if that helps.

[Edit] Nope. Still stalls.

Last edited:
I have NoScript blocking Twitter and Facebook (among other things I don't care for) and therefore don't even see the links. I temporarily allowed scripts from all domains and was shocked by the difference.

If you're using Firefox, don't want to muck with your hosts file or a local caching DNS server, and don't care about Twitter et al, you can grab NoScript and just blacklist twitter.com.

Wow I first tried using IE8 (work computer is XP) and it was unusable. Then started using chrome, and is mostly ok. If FF is indeed faster I may have to install it.

So it seems like Me, vfx, TEG and maybe ElSupreme are having problems with Google Chrome. NigelM and dpeilow aren't having problems with Chrome.

I don't think it is really a Chrome problem, more so my crappy work computer. IE is unuseable on my work computer though. And pretty bad on my home laptop. My desktop can power through anything so I don't notice.

I also saw a large slow down on Chrome (on the Mac) back when the twitter stuff was added, so I did the above for just platform.twitter.com. Made a very large difference. Chrome still seems to 'stall' if I open 5 or more tabs from this site at a time. Never bothered to investigate further...just don't do that anymore. I'll add the other sites above and see if that helps.

[Edit] Nope. Still stalls.

Yeah, mine stalls after 4 or 5 too :(