Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Canadian International Auto Show - Green Tech

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Doug_G

Lead Moderator
Global Moderator
Apr 2, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
Tesla isn't exhibiting, but that doesn't mean they don't have a presence at the Canadian International Auto Show. This year the show has an Eco Drive section.

Sun Country Highway is a start-up company that plans to install EV infrastructure across Canada. The owner's Tesla Roadster has been located in the Exotics section, and they're using that to draw people to the Eco Drive section.

Kent.JPG

They wanted another Tesla in their main exhibit in the Eco Drive section itself. The idea was to feature a car driving to the auto show from another city, via one of their charge points. They tracked me down and got Tesla to arrange an introduction, and I agreed to help.

It was quite an adventure going to the show. Spenser from Sun Country Highway followed me in a Chevy Volt and recorded my trip from Ottawa to Peterborough, where I charged at Berc's Steakhouse, and on to Toronto where we were featured on CTV News.

The next step was to get the car into the conference center. It was very strange driving into an elevator and down hallways inside a building. The conference center staff found it very strange that the car was completely silent. My Roadster was totally covered in salt from the trip so we first got it cleaned and then detailed. Part of my rear Tesla logo came off in the process, so Mark from Tesla came out and fixed that. Here's a view after the car was detailed (shinier than brand new!), but not yet put in final position (yes all the carpets on the entire level were covered in plastic during this process):

tessievia.JPG

Yes, that's a Ford Transit Connect behind my car; it's part of Sun Country Highway's exhibit, which includes a Volt and a Via plug-in hybrid pickup truck (quite the beast!):

via.JPG

Outside the room is one of several Fisker Karmas (there are more in the Exotics section)

Karma.JPG

I'll be sure to get some more photos of green vehicles, and some better shots of our exhibit, when I have time. Things are very busy!

Last edited:
Here's a picture of the exhibit. (Just part of it - also includes Via pick-up, Volt, and a couple of huge touchscreens for showing fuel savings etc.)

exhibit.JPG

The movie showing above the car depicts my voyage from Ottawa to Toronto, via a Sun Country Highway charger at Berc's Steakhouse in Peterborough. This illustrates how the charging infrastructure is being rolled out.

Some interesting experiences at the show...

Today I sat down at lunch across from a fellow from Mazda. We introduced ourselves and then he immediately said, "I'm personally offended that my tax dollars are going to subsidies for electric vehicles". I immediately shot back, "I'm personally offended at the billions of dollars in subsidies going to oil and gas companies". He looked shocked for a moment, and then agreed with me! What followed was a wide ranging debate including whether batteries were practical, hydrogen, the whole gamut. I've done my homework - quite a bit of that thanks to this forum - and had a pretty convincing answer at hand for every single point he raised. In the end he said, "okay, you've not convinced me, but you got me thinking." WIN!

Many people were very disappointed that the Model S isn't here - people ask about it all the time - but luckily I can give detailed answers to many of their questions. And in the course of that, I've been netting quite a few Model S reservations. I'll never know how many will actually do it, but I'm very confident of at least half a dozen. One fellow told me today that he's definitely getting a Model X.

Today one fellow got very enthusiastic and told me he was heading straight home to make a Signature reservation (yes some are still available in Canada). One of the Sun Country Highway guys was talking to another couple at the same time, and he said they were going to get a Sig also.

The local Tesla people are very happy. They've been getting loads of press attention, and they're not even officially at the show! So they've been helping as much as they can - which has been quite a bit.

For my part, this is all on a volunteer basis. Yes, I'm helping a commercial venture - not to mention Tesla - but my motivation was to spread the word that EVs are here, are practical, and really work. And it directly led to the installation of a charge point that makes year-round Ottawa-to-Toronto travel possible. Although it's been somewhat grueling I've had a blast doing it. Just three days to go!

Unfortunately Tesla doesn't offer commissions. :frown::biggrin: I've told them, "will work for swag!"

Unfortunately Tesla doesn't offer commissions. :frown::biggrin: I've told them, "will work for swag!"
Doug, Maybe they can pay you in Credits towards .... Tires, Car Washes & Detailing, and - drum Roll - Battery Credits towards your next battery (with the newest Cells at the time, of course!) :rolleyes: :love: :biggrin:

Nice how you handled the Mazda Guy - and opened his head to some new ideas, and countered his mis-information!

As a Past 1983 Mazda RX7 Owner with Aftermarket Turbo added Doubling the HP, I have a bit of an idea of what both Fast and Quick mean with Red line available in all 5 gears, but I would still like to see Mazda Corp. do a marketable Hybrid Wankel Power Unit, and they could make their RX9 version with that - and an All Electric Model at the same time and see which one out sold the other!

Kudos on the Great Presentation, Video, and overall presence at the Auto Show Doug!

More news... Sun Country Highway will be installing J1772 - 70A - at a hotel near the 401 in Kingston, Ontario! Perfect for Ottawa/Montreal to Toronto trips, not to mention upstate New York. Details will be forthcoming once it's up and running

Great to meet you too Doug! I have to give you credit for spending the entire week at the Auto Show sharing your experiences and knowledge with the public. It was very nice to see that EVs have a strong foothold at this year's show.. I'm looking forward to the day when Tesla rivals the BMW and Mercedes booths!

More news... Sun Country Highway will be installing J1772 - 70A - at a hotel near the 401 in Kingston, Ontario! Perfect for Ottawa/Montreal to Toronto trips, not to mention upstate New York. Details will be forthcoming once it's up and running

That is great news and gives justification for getting the second charger to take advantage of the 70A EVSE(s hoping there will be more than one along the various routes in Quebec and Ontario).