Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Attempting to estimate total cash cost of purchase....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

neroden

Model S Owner and Frustrated Tesla Fan
Apr 25, 2011
Ithaca, NY, USA
So, I'm still trying to estimate what my final "out the door" price is going to be for the model S. I'm looking to overestimate, since this is a cash flow estimation.

I have numbers for:
- price of the car
- sales tax rate
- registration & inspection fees

I can get estimates for
- charging point installation
- price of 4 winter tires

What I am missing estimates for is:
- delivery and destination fees
- extra fees charged by Tesla to handle the registration and inspection
- cost of an extra UMC
- cost of an extra set of wheels for winter tires
- extended warranty costs
- paint protectant
- insurance in NY, clean driving record (I can't even get agents to give me a quote this long before the car is manufactured... maybe soon)
- any extra fees I'm not thinking of

I'm trying to get reasonable but high-side estimates for these so I can figure my unencumbered cash level (so that I can figure out how much I can afford to invest in Tesla stock :wink:) Any assistance on any of these?

The delivery for the Roadster was $1950 so will hopefully be a little less for the Model S.
There weren't any extra fees for inspection that I can remember.
Extra UMC should be less than $1,200 since that's what they are charging for the HPC.
Roadster extended warranty was $5,000 so I would expect it to be less for the Model S again.
The 21" rims look to be $3,500 from Tesla.

Why would you need an extra UMC? You could always take it with you when you travel.

Why would you need an extra UMC? You could always take it with you when you travel.
I think it was Mycroft that turned me onto the idea that the HPC might be a better choice than a second UMC.

For me at least, the desire for a second UMC comes from the notion of having an "anchored" charging location in my garage where I only need to connect one end of the cable -- to the car. The second UMC stays permanently in the frunk for the relatively rare remote-charging need.

I think it was Mycroft that turned me onto the idea that the HPC might be a better choice than a second UMC.
I am going to have two different potential charging locations at home: one in the garage, one outdoors (for when I'm using my garage for painting / craft projects, for instance). 90% of the time I'll charge in the garage, but maybe for one continuous month a year I may wish to park outside.

For me at least, the desire for a second UMC comes from the notion of having an "anchored" charging location in my garage where I only need to connect one end of the cable -- to the car. The second UMC stays permanently in the frunk for the relatively rare remote-charging need.

Exactly the same thought from me. I want one charger permanently in the car, and one at home permanently; if the travel one gets damaged, I'll still be able to charge at home. However, one UMC for home is gonna be way cheaper than TWO HPCs!

Exactly the same thought from me. I want one charger permanently in the car, and one at home permanently; if the travel one gets damaged, I'll still be able to charge at home. However, one UMC for home is gonna be way cheaper than TWO HPCs!

I may be suffering from acronym overload (or forum overload), but why would you want two HPCs? Or did I miss something?

Not sure where that came from. In my post at least, I was referring to { UPC travel, UPC home } vs. { UPC travel, HPC home }.

That's what I thought. Then we're on the same page.

I'm inclined to get two UPCs as well, for the reasons already stated. If the price is the same, UPC+UPC still beats UPC+HPC in my mind, since if you lose one UPC, you have a spare at home.

I may be suffering from acronym overload (or forum overload), but why would you want two HPCs? Or did I miss something?

I'm installing charging at two separate locations at home. Suppose my UMC breaks on a trip. I still want to be able to charge at home at *either* location (one may be in use for painting).

What do I keep at home for this purpose? Answer: a second UMC. The only other alternative is two HPCs! Got it?

Edit: obviously, either way I have to run the 50 amp wire to two locations at home, but it still seems to save a bundle to get a UMC rather than one-or-more HPCs.