Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Main differences between 2008 and 2010/2011 versions?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

calif

Aug 20, 2011
Planning to buy a used roadster.

The 2008 models are quite a bit less expensive - however I've been told that the interior is not as refined as the 2010/2011 2.0 and 2.5 versions.

Is there anybody here who has owned/driven both and can talk about what the main advantages of 2.0/2.5 version would be? Anything you wouldn't miss in the newer version/anything that is really annoying about the 2008 version?

2008: No sport model available.
2008: Somewhat more noisy on bumpy roads and at high speeds.
2008: No double-DIN NAV/Radio option (as could be ordered on later 2.5s).
2008: No power meter (just has a tachometer that is in lock-step with the speedo)

Under the surface there are more profound differences as they redesigned a lot of stuff.
Some of the parts in the 2008s were more expensive, but that doesn't necessarily mean that they worked better.
(Usual discussions include mention of some carbon fiber being changed to plastic, and aerospace grade connectors on some components being replaced.)

The VDS screen is by your left knee instead of the center console, which is more convenient. It has a shift lever instead of push-buttons. In later models air conditioner was improved, as was the power electronics, the sound deadening, and the seats. Lots of little things. Starting in mid 2010 they modestly changed the external styling as well.

Tesla tended to put in upgrades as soon as they were available, so in some cases there are modest differences between early and later cars that are nominally the same version.

Reactions: AtAge19
The dash on the 1.5 (2008) looks even closer to the Lotus models. I actually sort of wish I had that aspect of the 1.5 interior. There is a large, aluminum tray underneath the dash for storing things. I have the impression that it can be annoying because things slide around, or at least I assume that's why early owners fabricated dividers to keep things in place. However, the 2.x models fill that entire space with HVAC controls and a tiny glove box that's barely one quarter the size of the original.

All other aspects of the interior seem like an improvement, but something about that Lotus-style dash tray makes me jealous.

I recommend that you sit in a 1.5 and a 2.x, just to see what your personal opinion might be. No sense disregarding the used 1.5 models out there if you actually prefer the look.

The trunk "box" was changed from carbon fiber to plastic between 1.x and 2.x - but note that the trunk lid is carbon fiber on all models. You can confirm this by looking under the lid where it's not painted body color. The "box" is barely visible anyway, even when the lid is open, so it's no great loss in my opinion.

I have been told that the bumpers have been plastic on all shipping models. Only the prototypes had full carbon fiber body panels from front to rear.

I assume you're aware of the aesthetic differences in the front bumper design. To me, it's a toss-up between the two designs - I would be totally happy with either one. The original has a minimalist aesthetic that I do somewhat prefer to the needlessly ornate 2.x design.

Last edited:
I lined the aluminum tray with Handstand StickyPads, cut to fit. Looks nice, nothing slides, my sunglasses and company badge stay quiet. I find the wide open space quite zen.

The 2008's could get a sound-deadening upgrade. Steve came by and we did a back to back between mine (which had it) and his (he was thinking about it). There was a difference, though a bit subtle. I also had the window seal fix put in last year. I haven't been in a 2010 to know if my car is anywhere close to that now, but before the fixes I couldn't really do 70 with the soft top on and be able to hear the radio. Now I can easily do 90 without things getting annoying.

I like the single-DIN JVC - it talks to the iPod I've got (160GB classic in black, sitting on a cut-down sticky pad in the tray below, pretty much invisible) better than most head units, I don't use the Nav on the JVC anymore (I've got Steve's bracket that I put a ProClip quick change adapter on and I use my phone). My Galaxy Nexus talks audio and phone quite nicely with the JVC.

I agree, you need to sit in both if you can to see which you like better. I'm still happy with the carbon fiber center w/ the hipster-ironic stick 'shift'.

Is there anybody here who has owned/driven both and can talk about what the main advantages of 2.0/2.5 version would be? Anything you wouldn't miss in the newer version/anything that is really annoying about the 2008 version?
Indeed I have owned (not wholly by choice: Tree Hugs Roadster Owner ) both a 2008 & 2010 model.
On both models I did not feel that the interior was "luxed" to where I wanted it; I would tell you that I am in the minority in that regard.
That being said, my trials and tribulations "luxing" up each of my Roadsters have been well chronicled here:
http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/show...-Roadsters/page4?p=35006&viewfull=1#post35006

I agree with everyone who says you should sit in each to get your own opinion.
If I had to choose ONE thing that irked me the most about the 2008 was no glove box.
I had a glove box (amongst other things :wink: ) put in by Al & Ed's http://al-eds.com/store/west-hollywood/category/tesla-motors/

One big difference is that they added cooling to the PEM in the 2.0. I test drove a 1.5 up Page Mill Road in Palo Alto. It's a narrow-ish road with a ton of steeply ascending curves--heaven for sports cars. The 1.5 kept oveheating the PEM and cutting power, which was a real bummer.

I've never seen the 2.0 overheat the PEM. When you push it too hard (in my case on a track) it overheats the motor, but my impression is that that takes a good bit more effort than it did to get the 1.5 to its limit. I've never had the 2.0 have overheating problems anywhere but at the track, though, and I have engaged in some, um, spirited driving from time to time.

Is there anybody here who has owned/driven both and can talk about what the main advantages of

2.0/2.5 version would be? Anything you wouldn't miss in the newer version/anything that is really annoying about the 2008 version?

I've owned a 1.5 (34K miles), spent a good amount of time when I was developing the tattler in a 2.0 sport and now I have a 2.5 sport(10k miles)

More fun to drive than the 2.x non-sport. The 1.5 seems to give full torque in both standard and performance modes. IMHO, the 1.5 seems like it gives max torque right at the start, the 2.x seems to soft start and then give full torque after the car is moving. I switched from the cast gray wheels to the forged silver after I bent a rim. Noticeable difference in the feel of the car. Traction control recovers quickly. TPMS always works.

2.x
VDS moved to the center. It's cool for the passenger, but it's a pain when you need to change the charge mode from outside the car. Key remote changed from a long press to two short presses to open trunk. AC seems to be a bit better than 1.5. One nice thing is that the car remembers the heater setting. (the 1.5 turns it off every time the car is off). More padding added to quiet the cabin. TMPS is buggy.

even quieter. Seats have more padding and cause the driver to sit about 1-2" higher. It was a problem for me so I
switched out the seats from my 1.5

Overall, I switched from the 1.5 because the 2.0 was so much quieter. Every time I would borrow Richard's 2.0 sport, I would think "It's so much quieter than my 1.5" The coolant pump in a 1.5 is much louder. Once I got the 2.5 sport, I was a little disappointed in the performance because (IMHO) the 1.5 seemed to have more torque in standard mode than the 2.5 sport in standard. I solved this by leaving the car in performance mode whenever I can. (from the vds screen, a 1.5 will peak at 281 in standard, whereas the 2.x will only hit 265 ftlbs). The fit and finish on the 2.x is better.

Based on what I know now. If I was buying a used roadster, I would buy a 1.5 and use the cash I saved to send the car to Ed & Al for 1) more sound proofing, 2) double din radio. and possibly 3) suspension upgrade. 4) replace cast gray wheels if needed.

If you don't want a 1.5. The I would get a 2.x sport. The 2.x non-sport is not that much cheaper, and the sport ride is significantly better

YMMV

Reactions: AtAge19
Tru dat! I remember when I got my 2nd Roadster and was pissed-off that the key remote would not open the trunk...
When I called Tesla and they informed me... duh... NEVER MIND!

Don't feel bad... they didn't write the manual very well. The double-click only mentioned in one place, and that's buried in the section about the key fob's programmable button. Everyone misses that.