Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Potential battery pack upgrade for Roadster using Model S cells

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

dsm363

Roadster + Sig Model S
May 17, 2009
Nevada
If Tesla offered an upgraded battery pack for the current Roadster using the 3.4A Model S cells (I think I have the correct number), would that also lead to faster acceleration as well as longer range? I think this would be a great upgrade offer from Tesla (even though many people wouldn't take them up on it for a few years until warranties start running out) and provide great, free advertising pushing the range to around 350 miles I think if the number of cells are kept the same.

I think acceleration is limited by the PEM, not the pack?

In a couple of years we'll start seeing Roadsters who need a new pack. It would indeed be great if they were able give the range a boost!

The acceleration rate is limited by the discharge rate of the cells.

For example, a 20C rate battery pack will push out more than 36A from a hobby pack. A 40C rate one will push out 72A.

They could offer 2 options:
1)Same weight w/ greater range (350 Miles)
2)Less weight w/ same range (245 Miles)

I'd like 1 the best.

For example, a 20C rate battery pack will push out more than 36A from a hobby pack. A 40C rate one will push out 72A.

I'd like 1 the best.

I guess option 1 will be the easyest to implement! (no change to the suspension)
The second will implement some R&D, + less cells = lower endurance of the batterypack (note the garantie in Model S depending on batterypack)

I'd like 1 the best.

What about option 3?
Same weight, same range w/ faster acceleration (Quarter Mile 11.4)

I'll take 3...

Not likely. They'd have to upgrade the motor to do that.

Software and PEM maybe but motor not likely. The motor is unlikely receiving maximum current all the way up to 14,000 RPM. They battery has a max output based on the number and arrangement of cells, a denser configuration can increase that power output. The Model S goes quicker/faster based on battery pack for just this reason.

range means speed ;-). we with more than 30 others tesla to geneva - end distance was 333km and i had 56km left in geneva - you can do this if you drive about 100km/h. if you have a battery with more capacitiy, you just can drive faster... and play transformerss with other evel cars...
424811_3455358273601_1819835674_n.jpg

I just had a visit from my Ranger and he said they are working on a battery pack with Model S cells. Unfortunately he did not know any more details. The price will likely be under $40,000 as we know that is the current price of a battery replacement and I think it is safe to assume it will not be under $12,000 as that was the price of the battery warranty.

I just had a visit from my Ranger and he said they are working on a battery pack with Model S cells. Unfortunately he did not know any more details. The price will likely be under $40,000 as we know that is the current price of a battery replacement and I think it is safe to assume it will not be under $12,000 as that was the price of the battery warranty.

That should be exciting. Given the Model S uses 3100mah vs the 2400mah cells in the Roadster, they can either:
1) Keep the same number of cells and get 1.29x the capacity (72kWh) and power (only useful if they upgrade the firmware/motor/power electronics to use it).
2) Keep the same capacity and use less cells, shaving 22.6% the cell weight (~150lbs) and volume (plus whatever overhead).

I wish Tesla would wait another couple of years, so that battery technology can improve even more. Right now there aren't many Roadsters that need new packs.

I would hope that Tesla would have two options:
1) More Range, same pack size/weight
2) Same Range, less weight and that weight set as low as possible in the car.

I wish Tesla would wait another couple of years, so that battery technology can improve even more. Right now there aren't many Roadsters that need new packs.

I would hope that Tesla would have two options:
1) More Range, same pack size/weight
2) Same Range, less weight and that weight set as low as possible in the car.

I agree. Once the Model X is launched in 2014 the 3.4A cells in the 85kWh pack will longer be new tech and should be slightly cheaper. Would be a good option I think. I'd vote for more range if there was only one option.