Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 38

Thread: Potential battery pack upgrade for Roadster using Model S cells

  1. #21
    EU Model S P-37 VolkerP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    2,345
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Sharpe View Post
    Sorry but I disagree... I want Tesla to give us lots options... some wealthy early adopters will buy on day one and others will buy later.
    Yup. Give a 320+ mile range pack to Hans-Jörg von Gemmingen and he will complete the 200k miles within the next 3 months -- he's already beyond 150k miles with his Roadster / 125k miles on the battery pack.

    Source: Tesla-Fahrer und -Freunde Forum Forumskilometerzähler...

  2. #22
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Long Beach, CA & Taos, NM
    Posts
    198
    Quote Originally Posted by smorgasbord View Post

    I would hope that Tesla would have two options:
    1) More Range, same pack size/weight
    2) Same Range, less weight and that weight set as low as possible in the car.
    I thought I read that the new cells, while the same size, weigh more - so "More Range, same pack size..." gets you MORE weight. "Same Range..." gets you slightly less weight but does/should get you a lower COG.

    Can't have your cake and eat it too - at least not at this time.

  3. #23
    Senior Member stopcrazypp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    3,499
    Quote Originally Posted by Tesla 940 View Post
    I thought I read that the new cells, while the same size, weigh more - so "More Range, same pack size..." gets you MORE weight. "Same Range..." gets you slightly less weight but does/should get you a lower COG.

    Can't have your cake and eat it too - at least not at this time.
    The new cells only weigh 1.5 grams more than the standard lower capacity versions. For 6831 cells, that's 10.2kg/22.5lbs more weight. Hardly noticeable.

    On the other hand, a pack with the same capacity as the old Roadster will save ~150lbs in cell weight alone (plus whatever overhead that is removed from having less cells).
    Because there are tons of crazy people in this world...

  4. #24
    Roadster #1144 + Sig 114 dsm363's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    12,863
    Would people really pay $20k or more for same battery pack capacity but 150lb less weight? You'd be slightly quicker but sounds like they are addressing that with better motor...etc. I think the added range with the other speed upgrades will be a nice upgrade.

  5. #25
    Model S R231 EU widodh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Middelburg, The Netherlands
    Posts
    3,508
    Quote Originally Posted by dsm363 View Post
    Would people really pay $20k or more for same battery pack capacity but 150lb less weight? You'd be slightly quicker but sounds like they are addressing that with better motor...etc. I think the added range with the other speed upgrades will be a nice upgrade.
    You never know, I doubt it however.

    More range is always better, so yes, that would be nice.

    Interesting though, if new packs come out, how long will the car itself survive? Will we see Roadsters driving around in 25 years?

    Wonder how the interior and all holds out, I think that will wear out first.
    BMW M5 E39 - Kawasaki Z750R - 3-phase power - Not a Roadster owner, but the co-owner of my/our company is

    85kWh - 19" Cyclone grey - Pearl White - Tech Package - PDC - Sunroof - Twin-Chargers - Light package - Nappa Leather

  6. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by dsm363 View Post
    Would people really pay $20k or more for same battery pack capacity but 150lb less weight? You'd be slightly quicker but sounds like they are addressing that with better motor...etc. I think the added range with the other speed upgrades will be a nice upgrade.
    A pack made with 3400 mAh cells vs 2200 mAh cells but using 1/3 less will make a pack with about 3% more capacity.
    It should weigh 210 pounds less in pure cell weight - but about 250 - 300 pounds less depending on how much they can save by eliminating interconnects and all the other stuff to support connecting, cooling and holding the 2277 missing cells.
    ( Saving 250-300 pounds will add some range - maybe 5% but likely much more during high performance driving with lots of accelerating )

    I assume that an 85+kWh Roadster pack ( made with 6831 of the 3400mAh cells ) would offer more range, but very little additional performance with the current PEM and motor because they can't handle more power.

    If they offered the new lighter same power pack today for $20k it would be likely be a no for me, because my pack is within about 2 or 3% of new right now - and that would feel like wasting $20k.

    However if my pack needed to be replaced today I would want the lighter one for sure - because I want more performance, not range. My Model S will be my long distance drive car. If you take your Roadster to the racetrack, your time on the track is not limited by your battery size, it is limited by your recharge rate ( ignoring the motor heat issue ). With 85kWh you'd get longer sessions, but then you would be plugged in longer.

    From another angle:
    If Tesla gave me two options that had the exact same acceleration:
    a) 300 pounds lighter
    b) same weight, enough additional power to be the same as (a)
    But option b was longer range and cost more, I would absolutely choose option a - because 300 pounds lighter will be faster around the track because it will brake better and corner better.

    Lastly:
    All of this could change if I have a more powerful water cooled PEM and motor in my Roadster. Then additional battery power would not be wasted and I would have to weigh the options again.

  7. #27
    Roadster #1144 + Sig 114 dsm363's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    12,863
    I think a big battery upgrade is really only worth it (for me that is) if it comes with upgraded motor/liquid cooled PEM. Some additional range would be nice too (maybe 225 miles driving at 65mph with AC on) and the added acceleration would be a bonus. Everyone is going to want different things so if two options existed, that would be idea.

  8. #28
    mod squad TEG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Silicon Valley
    Posts
    15,263
    With my old Ford Ranger EV, a battery refurbishment business would take old/half-dead packs from out of service vehicles, and "remanufacture" refurbished packs from what cells could be salvaged.
    I suppose they could do something like that for Roadster too... Getting bits from various packs that were replaced (for whatever reason) and making some cheap replacement packs that don't have the full capacity of a brand new pack.
    That would be useful in the long term for people who are trying to keep a Roadster going on a limited budget.
    Moderator - Roadster, and Future Cars forums

  9. #29
    Roadster #1144 + Sig 114 dsm363's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    12,863
    A 'price per battery brick' update. That might work too.

  10. #30
    Senior Member strider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Bay Area, CA
    Posts
    2,470
    I'd like more range and performance vs weight savings. I don't track my car and it handles just fine for my driving. But more range and acceleration will always be welcome. But I'll wait until this battery wears down. Have to absorb the cost of a Perf Model S into the vehicle budget soon (and possibly an electric motorcycle) and will need some time to recover :P
    Twilight Blue Roadster 2.5 - #1098 / Grey Model S Performance - #1459

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 256
    Last Post: 2014-05-31, 07:09 PM
  2. Model S Battery Pack Charging Protocols
    By gkalexdc in forum Charging Standards and Infrastructure
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 2012-07-12, 04:33 PM
  3. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 2011-11-16, 01:08 PM
  4. Roadster battery pack specs?
    By iisjsmith in forum Roadster: Technical
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: 2007-06-24, 09:00 PM
  5. Roadster battery pack specs?
    By iisjsmith in forum Roadster
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: 2007-06-24, 09:00 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •