Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Second-hand price higher than new price?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In the earnings call today, Elon suggested that anyone with a Model S reservation should take delivery whether they want the car or not. He posited that the demand will be so high that the cars will increase in value at least for a while and you might be able to sell it for more than the purchase price!

I'd be very surprised, but who knows?

Federal Tax rebate only applies if the car was not purchased for resale.

CA state tax rebate only applies if the car stays in CA.

Don't forget, depending on your state's vehicle sales tax laws, the second purchaser may be paying sales tax twice. And, that's all before the original purchaser's profit is factored in. In CA I figure the second purchaser needs to spend about $15K more.

Federal Tax rebate only applies if the car was not purchased for resale.

CA state tax rebate only applies if the car stays in CA.

Don't forget, depending on your state's vehicle sales tax laws, the second purchaser may be paying sales tax twice. And, that's all before the original purchaser's profit is factored in. In CA I figure the second purchaser needs to spend about $15K more.

The $2500 State Tax rebate is expected to run out of funds 6/12 from what I remember, and due to the state budget concerns, it may not be replenished.

In California, if the Vehicle transfers twice within two weeks, the 2nd owner is not required to pay tax. Called a 'Dual Transfer'

Also many people do not know that tax is not due between parent and son/daughter, or son/daughter to parent. Tax is due brother to brother. So you can figure a way around this tax!

Last edited:
In the earnings call today, Elon suggested that anyone with a Model S reservation should take delivery whether they want the car or not. He posited that the demand will be so high that the cars will increase in value at least for a while and you might be able to sell it for more than the purchase price!

I think he said that to balance this: Delivery without test drive

The $2500 State Tax rebate is expected to run out of funds 6/12 from what I remember, and due to the state budget concerns, it may not be replenished.

In California, if the Vehicle transfers twice within two weeks, the 2nd owner is not required to pay tax. Called a 'Dual Transfer'

Also many people do not know that tax is not due between parent and son/daughter, or son/daughter to parent. Tax is due brother to brother. So you can figure a way around this tax!

Adopt the buyer?

I wouldn't be surprised at all if this were (initially) the case...the Model S will have a far wider appeal to most (from both a practicality and cost standpoint than the Roadster) and by delivery time, the cost of gas will probably have hit the summertime peak...lots of folks may start to consider electric and lots of these folks will have the means to secure an S (but like us, will want it now!) :wink:

Still, I'm not the least bit interested in flipping...

Yeah, at 100K profit, you'd have to think about it...you could probably get another order through for yourself for 2013 delivery..."everything's for sale...you just have to negotiate the price!" :wink::biggrin:
Yup. In that other thread, IIRC, someone put his/her number at $50k. I'm sure there's wiggle room among all the reservations to get that profit number down to $20k or so.

Can you point to any evidence of this? A quick Google search didn't yield anything.

Double checking, the two week transfer allowance to a 2nd owner only applies to a lease payoff. If two separate buyers are involved, and two sales have ocurred then all the paperwork must be submitted at the same time (no two week allowance) and only one tax will be due. Reference: I called AAA