Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Martin Eberhard no Longer Part of Tesla Motors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In response in Martin's post, I did not sign non-disparagement agreement.:smile:

Carolyn

Wow. I think I probably speak for most people here when we convey our surprise and disappointment that Martin isn't to play an integral part in Tesla (in the short term) and not by choice. As a day job I play a lawyer, so here's some advice that you didn't ask for. Keep it close to the vest until things shake down a little--I'd hate to see your family get hit with some sort of penalty. Non-disparagements can be far-reaching. But broadly speaking, we'd love to hear what the game plan is for Martin's next venture.

:frown:

I found this really sad and disturbing.

Martin, thank you for inspiring all of us and giving us hope into better automotive tomorrow. You managed to convert lots of nonbelievers into EV advocats.

It must be really painfull for you to loose the company you created. It is painful for me just thinking about it. I hate it but I do not trust Tesla Motors any more. I cannot trust them to produce anything worth thinking about anymore. Why? Because if people in charge cannot recognize the gem of Marting personality how can I believe they are capable of anything at all? They will throw money at problems, take shortcuts and loose vision and goal. Hybrid whitestar? Whatfor? Whofor?

Interesting thing is also that Marc Tarpenning is still with Tesla Motors. I guess he keeps low enough and doesn't get in the way of the bigwits. I lost ALL respect for Elon.

I echo most of what people are saying here. Martin was THE personality most associated with the Tesla vision. With him out, their future seems murky now.

Now, I am not sure it is fair for people to start finger pointing at Elon. Do we really know what went on? Elon, as the board chairman, was the one who would be in the role to make high level changes like this, but I doubt he could affect such changes without having others on the board (and beyond) telling him that this was a correct course of action. Again, I really don't know anything about what went on, but I think it is likely that it involves a lot more than just the two of them.

I do imagine it is hard for Martin to move on from this particular venture given all the amazing talent they hired, and all the special customers they have on their waiting list. This isn't just a typical company, but one that you could really sink yourself into.

Over time I suspect some will wonder if this was the result of some sort of external 'sabotage' or just a normal part of the internal business happenings of this company. There certainly is a 'theory' that some big interests have it in for EVs. There also are some journalists and bloggers who seemed to be on a mission to spread criticism of Martin's goals and actions. It is hard to know if they just have it in for EVs in general, or Martin in particular. He was certainly in the "hot seat" there with what Tesla has been trying to do.

Yes Martin, I'm also very sorry to hear that you are out. I do hope that your vision will live on with Tesla. I would really like to get a Whitestar here in Norway in a few years. I will be following your further work in your new ventures and rooting for you.

Sindre aka Cobos

I have lurked around this forum for quite awhile, but have only now registered to express my condolences --and appreciation-- to Martin and Carolyn.

We'll probably never know the full story of this second so-called "transition," due to the usual non-disparagement agreement, but something sure smells rotten in Denmark, er... South Africa.

Martin: I want you to know how very much I admire your vision and the years of effort you have put into making Tesla a reality. I seriously doubt that anyone else could have brought the Roadster from a mere idea to actual validation prototypes in such record time, especially with its cutting-edge technology.

You are, in fact, the "face" of Tesla, its creator and "evangelist." You have always been open, honest, and forthright with the public, something that more CEOs should emulate. The difference, I perceive, is that you are a true leader, while those other yokels are mere managers. Do you think they have ever read "Dilbert"? Well... what we desperately need in this world are more leaders like you, and fewer managers like them. I frankly wouldn't be surprised if many customers now demand a refund upon learning what has happened.

There is only one consolation I can offer. As Chelsea Sexton remarked to me, if that is the kind of people they are, who would want to continue working with them anyway? In the long run, you're probably better off slamming the door behind you, despite the pain you're likely feeling. Let them rot in their own managerial juices.

I sincerely wish you, Carolyn, and crew the very best in the future!

Say it ain't so.......

I am extremely disappointed to hear that Martin is no longer at TM. I should first offer my condolences to Martin and his family. I can hardly imagine the way he must be feeling right now.
I don't want to speculate as to what might have precipitated this event, but I suspect that it involved a clash between idealism and greed. I also would not be too surprised to hear in the near future that Tesla is being sold to an incumbent auto manufacturer. It would fit a pattern that most of us have seen before.
I would like to take this opportunity to thank Martin for his vision and his passionate advocacy of EVs up to this point. I hope that this experience has not dampened his determination to bring a viable EV to the masses.
The Board at TM has squandered a great resource and a great deal of goodwill with this heavy handed power move. Shame on them.

Martin,

When one door closes another opens. I suspect you will have trouble answering the phone with all the job offers. But I would hate to lose the talents of one of America's great entrepreneurs to a "normal" job.

I would love to see an affordable family sedan using Firefly batteries and Maxwell ultracapacitors. Any ideas who might make this happen?

My very best wishes to you and your family.

Martin Eberhard says more to Tech Confidential

For those of you following Tesla Motors founder Martin Eberhard's exit from the company he created, please see my post, with quotes from an email exchange Eberhard and I had earlier today:

http://www.techconfidential.com/beh...-the-money/teslar-motors-founder-martin-e.php

I'm eager to see what Eberhard's next venture is. :)

Cheers,
Mary Kathleen Flynn
Senior Editor
The Deal & Tech Confidential

When I reach Musk on his cell phone and put the question to him, he pauses and laughs a bit nervously. "I don’t know what to say without being negative," ... "It did not make sense for him to be at the company. Of course, if the board thought if it would be better for him to stay he would still be there."

"I don’t think its ideological, it was more operational, I suppose," he adds. "There wasn’t an obvious role for Martin."
Am I the only one who sees this as a pile of b*llsh*t?

It's not unusual that the creative genius is not the best operational manager. I'm not even convinced he was such a bad manager, maybe made a couple of bad decisions, but then, who doesn't from time to time.?

Often what happens is that the founder is placed into some non-managerial role where they can do what they do best, be creative and visionary maybe be a public advocate for the company. It's too bad they couldn't come up with some sort of position like that for Martin.

I hope we can put this behind us soon, and get back to thinking more about the cars. Getting Roadster production started will help a lot. An announcement about the Whitestar would be nice too.

We all feel bad for Martin, but really there's not a lot to be gained by continuing to dwell on his ouster.

The launch has been delayed on a few occasions, there is an outstanding transmission issue, the PR relating to the car motivated the competition to act sooner than later, the investors are getting impatient.

How do you buy time? You throw "somebody" under the bus.

Then make statements of a realigment and fine tuning of strategy with improved decisions that will expedite the project, and establishing a task force to look at other possibilities and potential cooperative efforts.

At the LA show every manufacturer with a track record of building and delivering vehicles with a dealer network was talking green, and getting closer to walking green.

Electric vehicles have an inherent credibility issue which Tesla initially dispelled.