Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Quantifying the wait...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Seeing that it seems like forever before I'll be able to take delivery of my S (P2747), I thought it might make the wait easier if I could cross off on a calendar the not-so-fun things that I will have to do between now and the end of November:

189 more work days (minus about 14 days of vacations and holidays)
23 more trips to the gas station...
Take the trash and recyclables out to the curb 38 more times...

I think I'll focus on the last one and keep a tear off sheet with #'s printed on them in the garage, and rip off one every Tuesday evening.

Not going to the gas station felt kind of odd at first (I still have to go a few times a year now since I drive my Jetta now and then) but you get over it pretty quickly. Owning an EV is great, even if it doesn't clean the air like biodiesel does:smile:

I kept thinking something was wrong after the first few weeks.
I'm not a fulltime Roadster driver. But for these two weeks the Roadster is at my house and it feels odd.

I've driven multiple gas stations thinking: "No, this car can't do anything with gas, stupid!"

@ TS: With P2747 you are lucky. I'm P178 (EU) and I'll probably have to wait until the beginning of 2013 :(

That is:
- About 1000km of commuter traffic on my bicycle
- Burn some 1500 Liter of fuel
- 48 weekends to spent without my Model S

To further quantify my wait, I dropped off my Audi S4 to the dealer this morning for what I assumed would be a relatively inexpensive coolant leak repair bill. Just got the call from the service writer that it needs a new water pump and the valve cover is leaking oil. $2,500 to repair. On a car that has 25,000 miles.

Two lessons: Never assume repairing a German automobile will be inexpensive. And damn I hate ICE components...

To further quantify my wait, I dropped off my Audi S4 to the dealer this morning for what I assumed would be a relatively inexpensive coolant leak repair bill. Just got the call from the service writer that it needs a new water pump and the valve cover is leaking oil. $2,500 to repair. On a car that has 25,000 miles.

Two lessons: Never assume repairing a German automobile will be inexpensive. And damn I hate ICE components...

At 25k miles, that must be under warranty, right?

I wonder what it costs to repair the cooling mechanism on the battery pack of an S.

At 25k miles, that must be under warranty, right?

I wonder what it costs to repair the cooling mechanism on the battery pack of an S.
Don't start about Audi here! I had a Audi A3 2.0TDI which had a broken cilinderhead after <100.000km (60k miles). They refused warranty and the repair was EUR 6.000,00

That's why I switched to Toyota :)

Gives me another reason for wanting the Model S!

That's what I have as a loaner. Not quite as fun as my S4, but having fun trying to hypermile...

Don't start about Audi here! I had a Audi A3 2.0TDI which had a broken cilinderhead after <100.000km (60k miles). They refused warranty and the repair was EUR 6.000,00

That's why I switched to Toyota :)

Gives me another reason for wanting the Model S!

I wish. Only 25,000 miles, but just turned 8 years old... Also had a wheel bearing go out a few thousand miles ago, that was like $700.

You have an S4 and in eight years have only driven 25,000 miles? That's less than nine miles a day on average. Why spend a helluva lot of money for a car like an S4 if you hardly use it? Nine miles a day - that's hardly worth buying a bike for ;-P

You have an S4 and in eight years have only driven 25,000 miles? That's less than nine miles a day on average. Why spend a helluva lot of money for a car like an S4 if you hardly use it? Nine miles a day - that's hardly worth buying a bike for ;-P

My "fun" car does about that many miles a year, maybe about 30% more. It's not my daily car, I use it on nice weekends in the country and a few track weekends (road courses) a year. That's what fun cars are for. Nothing wrong with that, right?

My "fun" car does about that many miles a year, maybe about 30% more. It's not my daily car, I use it on nice weekends in the country and a few track weekends (road courses) a year. That's what fun cars are for. Nothing wrong with that, right?

Right. But that's the US for you. If you lived in Germany you would think twice about buying (and especially owning) a car just for fun. Because running costs for cars in Germany aren't any fun at all - especially with those cars that would normally provide most fun, i.e. fast cars with big engines. Of course that is the whole point our lovely government is trying to make. They would prefer it if we all drove Nissan Micras or the like...