Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Range and cost calculator

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's an awesome tool. They need to put it online as well.

They need to let the user select MPH over 65 MPH, I think 80MPH at the least.

Yes the range gets hammered at 80 MPH but people need to know what they're getting into up front.

Yes, this pretty much answers many questions about range. The 160 pack is better than I expected. Makes the leaf range look bad.
Yeah, but the highway range also seems great!

65mph is a speed you drive here on highways between crowded cities like Amsterdam and Rotterdam. That would still give about 270m (~400km) of range, that is impressive! I always thought that the 300 miles was hypothetical like it is with the Roadster.

I'm still counting on 320 ~ 350km of real world range on a 85kWh pack.

Agreed that this needs to go online. Presumably with YOUR MILEAGE MAY VARY, THESE ARE JUST PREDICTIONS, NOT PROMISES warnings. Agreed that it needs options for higher speeds, and lower temperatures (and higher temperatures too, perhaps)?

I think practically anyone would like to be able to see how much range they'll get using their personal driving pattern.

If you floor it, you'd be looking at a 80 ~ 100km range.

A Roadster for example is empty after just 60km.

That has nothing to do with EV's being crappy, it's just pure math :)

Works the same for ICE also. I can Get about 6 mpg while running on the track with my BMW M6. It has about a 330 mile highway range, but about 100 miles at track speeds. Why is this any different?

Works the same for ICE also. I can Get about 6 mpg while running on the track with my BMW M6. It has about a 330 mile highway range, but about 100 miles at track speeds. Why is this any different?
The only difference of course is that the BMW or any ICE can go off and refuel in 5 min so people don't even think about it. Maybe they'll place superchargers at racetracks someday for EVs to race and still be able to get home.

An ICE starts to run more and more efficiently as you put more load on it. You might see the efficiency go from 18% to 25% when driving fast, but since an EV always has around 90% efficiency you see your range decline very fast.

The only difference of course is that the BMW or any ICE can go off and refuel in 5 min so people don't even think about it. Maybe they'll place superchargers at racetracks someday for EVs to race and still be able to get home.

When I was at the California Motor Speedway, they had installed a number of 14-50's, possibly for RV's, but there was a roadster charging there while I was there last year.

I am hoping that we see the Range Calculator software that Tesla showed at the Model X reveal soon. I know that this quote from the 10-K published yesterday isn't new news, but it's still troubling that we don't have a better read on actual range:
We plan to offer Model S with a variety of battery pack options—40 kWh, 60 kWh and 85 kWh—which we estimate will offer a range on a single charge of 160 miles, 230 miles, and 300 miles, respectively, while traveling at a steady speed of 55 miles per hour. The EPA’s new fuel economy requirements will require us to label Model S utilizing new and different energy efficiency testing methodologies. These methodologies differ from the one we have used to estimate the range of the vehicles at a steady speed of 55 miles per hour and could reduce the range reported on the required labeling of our vehicles by up to 30% as compared to our current estimates.