Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Poll for the 40 kw buyers vs alternative cars

Are 40 kw reservation holders staying with the Model S

• Alternatives do not have the range, performance or space I need

Votes: 16 53.3%
  • Like the Model S design better

Votes: 10 33.3%
  • Considering going with another company

Votes: 3 10.0%
  • Getting 1 and the Model S

Votes: 1 3.3%
  • Cancelling to get another EV sooner

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm curious about the 40 kw battery buyers. With the alternative EVs coming out this year and next year, will you still be getting the Tesla, or going with another car?

Please, only those planning on the 40 kw battery answer the poll so the results aren't skewed

Last edited:
I have a spreadsheet going logging how many miles I drive a day. I would have to change my driving habits to be able to get a Leaf and still make it home. Well over half my days I travel over 60 miles. And with my habits I would be right at Leaf range. Plus the Leaf is not very big and I wouldn't be able to put my dogs in there.

I my case, there are simply no other alternatives that meet my needs. Once day a week I drive about 100 miles, and the other days I drive about 80 miles. Charging at work is simply not an option, unfortunately, so I need to be able to make these trips without topping off. I also need a vehicle large enough to hold myself, my wife, my daughter (in a rear facing child seat) her stroller, and the dog. The Model S is a major reach for us financially, as it literally twice the cost of any vehicle we have purchased before, and while I absolutely love the design of the Model S, if there was a cheaper option that met the range and storage requirements, I would have to look at it.

The options we have now are :

Leaf : Simply not enough range to grantee that I will never not make it home from work (most days would be stretching it, and the one 100 mile day would only be possible under perfect conditions.
Volt : Would get me through the day, but only by burning T-Rex and friends. Space is also an issue, as the trunk is not large enough to fit the stroller.
Coda : Might work, but not available in my market. It's also butt ugly. The price is much more attractive than the Model S, however.
MiEV : Way to small, not nearly enough range. I'm sure someone likes this thing, but I view it as only slightly more practical than a golf cart.
Rav4 EV : Few details, may have enough range (but may not was well). Should have plenty of room. Not available in my market.
Focus EV : Few solid details, sounds like it will not have enough range. Space inside may be ok.
Fisker : If I cant afford a Model S, I definitely cant afford a Karma.

Other than that, there really are no other options (I am not counting the countless plug in hybrids coming to market like the prius or the energi's, or the rumored sonata plug in, as they will not have the EV range that I am looking for)

The only real choice I have is to save my pennies and buy a 40 KW Model S.

Common misconception :smile: - T-rex and friends are not what we are burning today with oil, coal and natural gas.

The Energy Story - Chapter 8: Fossil Fuels - Coal, Oil and Natural Gas

I know, but I figure if the gassers are allowed to spread blatantly false misconceptions about us like "EV's cost the tax payer $250,000 each" or "EV's cant go very fast or very far, and if you drive one, people will think that you are gay" (nothing against gay people, just a Simpsons reference), that I should be able to spread a funny misconception like running my car on T-Rex.

I know, but I figure if the gassers are allowed to spread blatantly false misconceptions about us like "EV's cost the tax payer $250,000 each" or "EV's cant go very fast or very far, and if you drive one, people will think that you are gay" (nothing against gay people, just a Simpsons reference), that I should be able to spread a funny misconception like running my car on T-Rex.

Good idea! Wait till the kids in the back hear that one; they'll be traumatized for life and never get a gasser when they grow up! :wink:

Two wrongs don't make a right.
You can't dismiss darkness with darkness; light works much better.
etc.

Two wrongs don't make a right.
You can't dismiss darkness with darkness; light works much better.
etc.

I completely agree, I am just having a little bit of fun at the Gasser's expense, operating under the assumption that everyone on this forum knows where gas comes from. Apparently the joke was misused, and I will be sure to only make scientifically correct jokes in the future (and end them all in "Banzinga!")

Heh, Rifleman. No worries on the jokes; keep 'em coming.
The political finger-pointing and dishonesty is getting to me. Yes, I know politics is "just that way". Doesn't make me feel any better about it though.

My Leaf lease ends in 2 years (Feb-14). I think at that time I'll have to select one of
- Leaf Gen-II
- BMW i3
- Model X
- Model S
- Infiniti EV

If 40 kWh model supports CHAdeMO - I'll likely get Model S. X is more than want I want to pay - and is too large (too wide too !). Leaf Gen-II and BMW i3 may not have enough range for comfortable winter driving around here. That makes Infiniti EV the current choice - probably because we hardly know anything about it ;-)

Ofcourse, I dind't answer the poll since I don't have a reservation. If 40 kWh model supported QC, I'd have booked one, just to show the support even though I don't need a reservation to get a car in Feb-14.

I have a spreadsheet going logging how many miles I drive a day. I would have to change my driving habits to be able to get a Leaf and still make it home. Well over half my days I travel over 60 miles. And with my habits I would be right at Leaf range. Plus the Leaf is not very big and I wouldn't be able to put my dogs in there.

Ok this thread has been dead a long time but I have still be tracking my daily travel distances. It really seems that the 40kWh pack is the right choice for me. The 85kWh could get me to Charlotte, but I don't think it is worth $20k to me, and I don't think USAA would front me the money for it either :smile: .

My longest day (I have 101 entries) has been 222km (139mi). It involved 3 round trips from my house on a Sunday. Airport. Chairity run/walk where I volunteered. And my soccer game. I had about 3 hours at home between these events to charge, and I was not rushed for any of them so I could have driven civilly. And the trip to the charity walk was mostly surface streets at ~35mph. So I think I could have made it without mid-day charging. My next longest day was 168km (105 miles) which I have 3.

I have 33 days (out of the 101) where I traveled over 100km (62mi). These days would all be difficult with a Leaf/Focus/MiEV. And considering the speed at which I drive on the interstate not possible without a change in driving habits, or reliable charging away from home.

I have 5 days over 145km (91mi) that would not be possible in a Leaf/Focus/MiEV in any sort of reliable fashion.

Looking at it if I REALLY wanted to I might be able to make a Leaf work. The problem is that 3 of my 5 days over 145km were on no notice. So planning on and getting charging when I needed it wouldn't have happened in time. And my 222km day would not have been possible. I could have used my fiancee's car but we would have had to plan a bit better as we never met at home until the end of the day.

I have traveled roughly 8700km (since Jan 13). I average 85.5km/day. I have spent $1009.47 on premium fuel (over the entire year).

Also, if you can add a second charger to charge at 80A during those mid-day breaks, that would make it easier. Also, the 60 kWh would make those trips a little easier and open up Supercharger access.

While we are bringing this thread back to life, how many 40KW buyers are still buying? Has anyone who originally put down a deposit either canceled, or changed their plans to include a 60KW? My plans have changed on in that I decided to push back my making my reservation (I was going to make it in February, but now I am going to make it next month) to assure that 40KW model S's have been on the road for a few months before I have to sign the MVPA. This way I can get a third party source to know that the 40KW will be able to meet my range needs. This delay might also give me the option to lease, although as of this time I am planning on buying the car outright.

While we are bringing this thread back to life, how many 40KW buyers are still buying? Has anyone who originally put down a deposit either canceled, or changed their plans to include a 60KW? My plans have changed on in that I decided to push back my making my reservation (I was going to make it in February, but now I am going to make it next month) to assure that 40KW model S's have been on the road for a few months before I have to sign the MVPA. This way I can get a third party source to know that the 40KW will be able to meet my range needs. This delay might also give me the option to lease, although as of this time I am planning on buying the car outright.

I originally planned on 40KW and and now considering 60KW and I plan on buying the car outright.

Also, if you can add a second charger to charge at 80A during those mid-day breaks, that would make it easier. Also, the 60 kWh would make those trips a little easier and open up Supercharger access.

Sadly I only have 150A to run my whole house. I would probably only be able to use 80A charging in the fall-spring at night. Georgia Power won't even give me a cost to get another 100A feed. Other than "5 figures". My power lines are buried and I am about as far as you can get from a transformer in my neighborhood. Even still I was under the '160 miles' number on my longest day. With some timid driving I probably could have stretched it without charging, but I even had about 3 hours at 40A to work with if I needed it. I drove a diesel Jetta for a while and got the basics of hypermileing down.

It may turn out that the 40 kWh has the range you need, even on those random long-trip days.

Yep at first I was real apprehensive about the 40kWh pack. I was expecting to NEED the 60kWh pack. It turns out I actually drive much less than I imagine. I will have a few days where I will stretch my 40kWh pack but it should do the job. And even when it is heavilly worn only about 5% of my days will I even need to be cautious about range. But by that time I should be able to run those batteries down to nothing and still feel comfortable. I mean right now I drive past '0 miles to empty) on about 90% of my tanks of gas. And have yet to run out of fuel.