Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Clear hardtop on EBay

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

This S1 clear roof lacks the side structure that the S2 models have (similar door-top structures as the soft top). That said, it looks seriously 21st century :) although here in Spain it may turn the car into a solar oven!

The ebay seller is in the US but I get the impression it may also be sold in the EU (don't they make it in Italy?) with less shipping and import/export issues as a result. I am going to contact them... I like this more than the Tesla roof (which I was thinking of buying).

This S1 clear roof lacks the side structure that the S2 models have (similar door-top structures as the soft top). That said, it looks seriously 21st century :) although here in Spain it may turn the car into a solar oven!

The ebay seller is in the US but I get the impression it may also be sold in the EU (don't they make it in Italy?) with less shipping and import/export issues as a result. I am going to contact them... I like this more than the Tesla roof (which I was thinking of buying).

apparently the Swiss Lotus dealer sells them too! So when you visit the geneva-motorshow you can check it out there!

Not sure if caution is needed.
Does it really fit the Roadster? If it does, these guys are missing the market at this price. They may think that the 30,000 or so Lotus Elises would be the better place to find sales. Thing is, the Lotus owners are about pure driving and Tesla owners are more likely to be ok with quiet cruising. The Mesh Tops sell to Roadster owners more than ten to one.

I have exchanged some emails with the Italian manufacturer Visium.

They have not tried the roof on a Tesla but as it was built for the Elise Mk2 they think it should be ok. I sent them photos of the roof mounting points and they said they were the same. The guy I spoke to will be at the MotorShow in Geneva on the 12th and I suggested he speak to Tesla there and look at the Roadster on the stand.

As he is in Italy he could also just go to the Tesla store or one of the Italian Roadster owners, but I guess he can figure that out for himself.

I did say that I'd buy one if it was proven to fit and fit well. I requested a Tesla Owners Club group discount of course ;)

While it probably has the sound proofing of a Tuperware lid it looks to give opentop light with hardtop weather protection. A nice combo IMHO. Lets see if he can prove it works...

Mark

PS Ordered a black luggage rack from Sector 111. Seem like a very professional bunch to me, but I'm curious... what did they do for VFX?

the ebay seller emailed me back with more pictures. The piece looks nice. The mounting points look the same as my 2.5 top. However, he wasn't absolutely sure of the fit on the Tesla. He did mention they have a 2 week return policy to at least give it a try.

Looking at it, I think it would be a nice piece in the winter months as sun could help keep the cabin warm....

mgemmell, let me know if you find out anymore on this!

PS Ordered a black luggage rack from Sector 111. Seem like a very professional bunch to me, but I'm curious... what did they do for VFX?

They are just really cool. When Tesla launched, Sector 111 wanted to see what Lotus parts would fit on the Roadster. I drove down to their shop and we spent a day trying bits. I needed a charge to get home so Shinoo and I went to the hardware store so I could get parts to build a plug that would fit his compressor socket. After a fun day I went away with new brake pads, rubber mats and a Micro mirror.

Also gave him a drive. He said it was the closest to his Arial Atom he had ever felt. Duly impressed.

... Also gave him a drive. He said it was the closest to his Arial Atom he had ever felt. Duly impressed.

Brings back memories of when I had a supercharged Atom, many years ago. The 'car' was great fun on a track, and just for gawping at all the exposed engineering.

Up to 60 mph a Roadster will feel just as lively, but from then up to 100+ the Atom would continue accelerating really hard, with 0-100mph in about 7 seconds.

The anti EV press is obsessed with range anxiety, but how come none of the Atom road test reviewers ever commented on the fact it did about 100-120 miles on a tank full ???!!! I was constantly worrying about driving between petrol stations, and every time I filled up I'd spend half an hour answering questions about it.

However … it wasn’t much fun on a public road … many because its damn painful being hit in the forehead by a Bumble Bee at 90mph, and even more damn painful if the vehicle in front throws up small stones and other stuff on the road - and this was despite having the wind deflectors. So you end up wearing a helmet … and buy stocks of replacement visors on ebay.

Still, it was kinda cool driving around in something that looked like it came right out of Mad Max 2 !!

AtomSClowfront2.jpg