Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Is Martin Eberhard still with Tesla Motors?

Icon9 Expressing deep pain --and heartfelt thanks

I posted this message under the "news" thread, but will repeat it here:

-----------------------------------------------------------

I have lurked around this forum for quite awhile, but have only now registered to express my condolences --and appreciation-- to Martin and Carolyn.

We'll probably never know the full story of this second so-called "transition," due to the usual non-disparagement agreement, but something sure smells rotten in Denmark, er... South Africa.

Martin: I want you to know how very much I admire your vision and the years of effort you have put into making Tesla a reality. I seriously doubt that anyone else could have brought the Roadster from a mere idea to actual validation prototypes in such record time, especially with its cutting-edge technology.

You are, in fact, the "face" of Tesla, its creator and "evangelist." You have always been open, honest, and forthright with the public, something that more CEOs should emulate. The difference, I perceive, is that you are a true leader, while those other yokels are mere managers. Do you think they have ever read "Dilbert"? Well... what we desperately need in this world are more leaders like you, and fewer managers like them. I frankly wouldn't be surprised if many customers now demand a refund upon learning what has happened.

There is only one consolation I can offer. As Chelsea Sexton remarked to me, if that is the kind of people they are, who would want to continue working with them anyway? In the long run, you're probably better off slamming the door behind you, despite the pain you're likely feeling. Let them rot in their own managerial juices.

I sincerely wish you, Carolyn, and crew the very best in the future!

Quote Originally Posted by WarpedOne View Post
    So far, the only real visionary at Tesla Motors was you. Without you, they are only very good engineers and management.
    I think that may be going a bit too far.
    As far as I know, Tesla still has people like Wally, JB, Darryl, Alec, etc.
    I would think there are plenty left who share Martin's vision of an EV future, and are strong minded about it.

I think the more pertinent question would be who is left who can stand up to the board / institutional-investors if they are getting sidetracked from the original vision. There are certainly different business models more likely to make money, but that wasn't the primary goal from what I can tell. My concern is that they could start chasing the wrong kind of green.
    Last edited by TEG; 2007-12-02 at 11:59 AM.
    Moderator - Roadster, and Future Cars forums

Problem is, Martin has an image. He was/is an icon for the idea of pure EV.
    If he had to go, it really means those ideas and visions are not acceptable for Tesla Motors any more. It doesn't matter who is still there. It will only take time until all of them will leave or forget about those ideas.

If Tesla Motors was still on track, they could easily find some position for him. What they are really saying is: Tesla Motors does not share Martin Eberhard 's ideas any more. We are different company. Just watch what is comming.
    I believe in Tesla as a concept, a brand, and a suite of products. No matter who conceived, started, runs, or maintains, I hope it ultimately prevails and lasts.
    -- TEG

Well, the Tesla Master Plan was published by Elon, not Martin...

I can think of all sorts of reasons why Martin might have been pushed out that don't necessarily mean that vision or mission has been lost.
    I am going to resist the urge to post them as speculations here.
    Last edited by TEG; 2007-12-02 at 12:29 PM.
    Moderator - Roadster, and Future Cars forums

The biggest irony of all...

...is that the company was named to finally pay proper homage to Nikola Tesla, the true, unsung visionary of electricity who was shunted by the very same sort of corporate mentality. Sorry, folks, but from this point forward I'm going to refer to the company as "Edison Motors."

Martin, I too am very dissapointed with you being removed from Tesla Motors. I was never a car fanatic because I felt it was a waste of fuel. Then you and your vision came along and produced an amazing car. Yes, you had a bunch of very bright and dedicated engineers working for you but your leadership and vision is what gave them the motiviation and drive to get it done. The other thing that impressed me with you and Tesla was your honesty and transparency. I have never seen that in a startup company with so much at stake and it was refreshing to know that you were not trying to hide any of the problems. Maybe if Elon didn't insist that you lower the sills you would have passed the side impact crash test the first time through.

Unfortunately, I am not in the position to afford a Roadster but I was looking forward to the Whitestar. I was willing to pay a premium to purchase that vehicle but now I'm not so sure. If the Whitestar turns out to be just another PEHV then I'll have to look elsewhere. I wish the best for you Carolyn and the kids and look forward to you new blog.

Great job, Martin!

You did a great job, because you tell all the people, that an electric car doesn't need to be slow and ugly at all!

Anyway you've inspired many drivers and automakers to think about electric cars again! Here in Germany, there is a big hype on electric and series hybrid driven cars yet.

A german battery maker (www.li-tec.de) has invented a secure LiIon Cell, the separators in this cell can withstand temperatures of 550 °C (normal cells: 65 °C!), so they won't overheat anymore.

The electric car IS the future! We have to get rid of oil immediately.

Thanks Martin!

Greets,

Tachy from Germany.

The other thing that impressed me with you and Tesla was your honesty and transparency.
    Has anyone else noticed that openness had erroded?
    The last blog of that kind was Martin's electric survey. After that only PR.
    I believe in Tesla as a concept, a brand, and a suite of products. No matter who conceived, started, runs, or maintains, I hope it ultimately prevails and lasts.
    -- TEG

Martin, best wishes to you, you will certainly continue in the same direction. There are many opportunities with "electric vehicles" and although Tesla garnered a lot of publicity, raised the level of awareness for electric vehicles.

Lately it seemed there were "issues" that were not being communicated. That Tesla is facing a chasm which is not crossed yet.

Over the past month, I have been nothing less than fanatical about this car and the company behind it. The promise shown by the technology involved was inspiring but it was Martin's vision that made me believe this company could actually make a difference. These developments change everything, and while I'm still hoping for great things from Tesla, I am not holding my breath.

Best of luck in your future endeavours, Martin, we'll be watching for you.

--Chad aka MaxPower

Thread Information