Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

History of options (exterior paint colors, seat patterns, etc)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Now that the Roadster has stopped production, I thought it would be interesting to (try to) document the various options for the Roadster that were available over time.

Initial Paint Colors:
Solid - Fusion Red, Signature Green (included in price)
Metallic - Brilliant Yellow, Radiant Red, Sterling Silver, Glacier Blue, Obsidian Black ($500)
Premium - Very Orange, Electric Blue, Arctic White, Thunder Gray, Jet Black ($1,000)

Post-Signature Series:
dropped Signature Green and (?) added Racing Green (?)

Early Paint Color Revision:
Added Twilight Blue in Metallic (but what Year and Model?)

Later Paint Color Revision:
Added Lightning Green in Premium (but what Year and Model?)

Final Five Paint Colors:
Ion Blue, Atomic Red

I was on the waiting list in 2008 and made my options choices at that time, but the stock market crash ended up making me wait until 2011 to get my Roadster. I have images from the web configuration, and noticed that over the years the options changed. If anyone can remember all the options, it would be great. I can list them here by editing the original post.

Paint colors:

Signature 100 had a dark metallic green, almost black, that was not available otherwise. Were there other exclusive Sig 100 colors?
Standard 2008 models had 2 solid, 5 metallic, and 5 premium
The 2011 models had 2 solid, 6 metallic, and 6 premium
The final 5 VINs had one or two custom colors

Seats:

Besides microfiber, there were many leather options, colors, and patterns.
In 2008, there were standard, premium, and premium two-tone. premium two-tone offered 2 colors out of a set of 9 total, in a traditional style, rally 1, or rally 2. the head restraint could be selected in either of the 2 selected colors. I've seen some Roadsters in the field with some really hideous combinations of interior colors!
By 2011, there were standard, premium, executive, and executive + carbon fiber. base colors were reduced from 9 to 3, the 2 rally choices were reduced to 1, and the headrest was limited to matching the base color.

Exterior/interior:

I never paid much attention to the carbon fiber accents, so I have no idea whether they changed over time
The front bumper was one obvious change, although it was never really an "option" unless you count the "2.25" models
Inside, the single DIN versus double DIN was an option that is unfortunately locked in once the car is built, or at least it takes significant, non-reversible modification to change from one to the other

Wheels:

Nobody makes wheels for the Tesla Roadster except Tesla Motors. There have been many variations in style, and even a few mistakes where wheels were made with the wrong finish. I've actually seen some owners seek out these "mistakes" because they prefer the aesthetics of the unintentional design. Basically, there are cast and forged, with black and silver colors options for the forged (and the mistaken finish as an "option" for the cast wheels).

In summary, I am mostly interested in options that have changed or disappeared over the lifetime of the Roadster. Now that the vehicle is a part of history, it seems worthwhile to document these little details.

Last edited:
For the Signature 100 cars, the most interesting aspect of the color choice was the box of 13 metal "super-eggs" that we received, one for each paint color and each one imprinted with he VIN number. It also contained rectangular swatches of the 7 leather color choices. I took a photo of it that found its way into this forum some time in 2008. I think TEG may have posted it.

color-kit.jpg

Signature 100 had a dark metallic green, almost black, that was not available otherwise. Were there other exclusive Sig 100 colors?...

No, I think Signature Green was the only "exclusive" color for the First 100 (also found on Founders', & VPs)

But, I think there were more customers interested in paying for, and more accommodation for completely custom colors in the 'early days'.
The most popular custom color seemed to be various interesting other shades of green. (eliciting names like "Lime green", "Insane Green", "Kermit Green", etc.)
Some notable custom colors included BBHighway's prismatic/chameleon/mystic/green-purple (love that paint job), VFX's copper, SteveP's "blackberry" (ultra dark red sparkly metallic), SteveJ's Lavender/Lilac, Elon/Akio Candy-Apple/Blood-Red/Ruby-Red, and various dual stripped Roadsters like MartinE's orange on gray, and DarrellH's nearly reversed orange with silver stripes.

Last edited:
Was Signature Green considered a Premium color? Were there even Solid/Metallic/Premium categories for Signature and earlier?
Which color replaced Signature Green? I assume it was Racing Green, but that puts them in different categories.

Anyone know the names of the colors for the Final Five? I'm searching...