Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

poll of hypothetical door options

Which type of doors would you prefer on Model X if they were made an option?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

mikevbf

Feb 11, 2012
vermont
It seems the falcon wing doors are the most controversial aspect of the model x based on the postings in this and other forums. Some have suggested they should be an option. Hypothetically, let's say they were. Cast your vote:

1) falcon wings as is (extra 3k option)

Tesla-Model-X-Doors.jpg

2) traditional doors like the model s (difficult to get in 3rd row)

tesla-model-side-502.jpg

3) mini van doors (function and cost good, but many might not like the style)

hyundai_hexa_space.jpg

or
002-hyundai-hexa-space-860x572-1.jpg

4) something else like the full legnth falcon wing doors that PV4EV suggests in his post

ModelXBFDversion1-1.jpg

Last edited:
I think I'd go with #1, but possibly #2.

I've really been examining my own reaction to the falcon doors - even though I got in line and put my deposit in, I didn't not have the same visceral 'must have it!!' reaction to the Model X that I did with the Model S. There is absolutely no negative (for me) with the falcon doors (now that I've checked garage clearance), other than they're not what I'm used to. The more I look at the pics, the less strange they look and the happier I am with the whole package. And then I think of the number of times that the door opening has been the only limiting factor in loading a large item in a vehicle of mine ... these doors would make that a non-issue.

Now would I pay more for them, if Tesla made them an upgrade option? Perhaps not. I'm not sure.

Most photos of cars are shown with doors closed or only the doors facing the camera open, that is what we are accustomed to seeing. Even if both the left and right side of conventional doors were open, from the typical vantage view point our eyes would only see one side open. I believe this is why the falcon doors when open seem out of place to the eye; it is definitely out of the ordinary. We just need to let the newness settle in. I would imagine the production Model X will have the capability of only opening one falcon door. Put some trust in Tesla's engineers. Tesla wants to sell cars too.

Most photos of cars are shown with doors closed or only the doors facing the camera open, that is what we are accustomed to seeing. Even if both the left and right side of conventional doors were open, from the typical vantage view point our eyes would only see one side open. I believe this is why the falcon doors when open seem out of place to the eye; it is definitely out of the ordinary. We just need to let the newness settle in. I would imagine the production Model X will have the capability of only opening one falcon door. Put some trust in Tesla's engineers. Tesla wants to sell cars too.

+1, totally agree.

I don't know if I would pay for the falcon doors as a 3000 option, but I think that they're going to be really cool as a standard option. Getting our kids in and out of our SUVs is tough when parking is tight and mini-van doors are lame looking and can also present space issues.

I'd remake the poll thread with an actual poll, but if you're looking for people's preferences as to door types don't include the hypothetical that the falcon doors are more expensive. That's asking a different question that if one likes the falcon doors; it's asking if one likes them enough to spend more for them.

I don't see "door type" as a viable option for any car, especially Tesla at this stage.

The doors are an important part of a car's structure, crashworthiness, etc. In the X's case, it also seems to affect the side pillars, the roof size, sunroof, interior trim, and a bunch of other stuff. All of these need to be engineered, tested, and certified. Parts need to be stamped, assembly procedures are definitely different if you change something so significant.

There's a point at which a change is basically a new car design, and I think falcon vs standard doors is on the other side of that line. Tesla simply cannot afford to have two major variants of a single model.

So, I think it breaks down to this:

- You either like the new doors or you don't.
- Tesla makes the call as to whether their revenues will be higher with or without based on feedback from prospective customers.

/Mitch.

Though I'm not getting the X, voted #2 - with Tesla offering the means to electronically slide the second row forward (rather than collapsing the seats manually and rolling them forward like in a minivan), traditional doors would have been just fine for the typical, unfortunate third row occupants (teens, shorter adults, pets).

Getting kids into carseats in the second row does get easier with the falcon wings but, as someone said on the 'reaction to X' thread, in my opinion, the falcon doors will unfortunately turn a loooooot of folks away (after we fanboys/fangirls have been completely tapped) from the X - it's hard enough to convince the average Jane Carbuyer to go 'crossover EV' but, with the wings... :frown:

As Bonnie said above, the first sight of the S had me hooked - a super sporty, sexy, yet practical sedan that also happened to be an EV with unprecedented range! The X has ended up looking more gimmicky - Tesla and their boosters such as we all have to go the extra mile to convince folks that the benefits outweigh the perceived "concept car impracticality".

In the "something else" category you could also put a double-hinge (but otherwise conventional) door, that gets around the problem of getting a long door open in a tight spot. Renault used this on the Aventime which had a single long door for front and rear access.

avantime_door.jpg

Renault%20Avantime%20Ia.jpg

People were complaining it was hard to get in and out of the roadster, could only seat two people and only fit a bag of groceries. Now they made the X swallow seven people with luggage, doors that basically rip half the roof open with just a push of a button for everyone's convenience. They threw in some other nice things like the 17" touchscreen on the dash, a more sophisticated interior and an all wheel drive system.
All this for a lower cost than the roadster.

But now people are treating the X like a woman with an eye in the back of her head, looks ok as long as it's kept shut :rolleyes:

I always thought the rocket science was the hard part of Elons work, not the part working as a car salesman.
(No offence to anyone, i wrote this with irony)

My wife (the X is for her) and I both like the falcon doors (both functionality and esthetics). And for what it's worth, our 3 boys (ages 5 and 3 yo twins) are thrilled that we are getting a "flying car"! Not sure if we'd pay for them if they were an option though.

People were complaining it was hard to get in and out of the roadster, could only seat two people and only fit a bag of groceries. Now they made the X swallow seven people with luggage, doors that basically rip half the roof open with just a push of a button for everyone's convenience. They threw in some other nice things like the 17" touchscreen on the dash, a more sophisticated interior and an all wheel drive system.
All this for a lower cost than the roadster.

But now people are treating the X like a woman with an eye in the back of her head, looks ok as long as it's kept shut :rolleyes:

I always thought the rocket science was the hard part of Elons work, not the part working as a car salesman.
(No offence to anyone, i wrote this with irony)

:biggrin: Classic stuff. +1.

IMHO it's a very bold move from TM to go forward with the falcon doors.
I love the space it has inside...but I believe that 80% of the time you don't need the third row.
(meaning the easy access is nice to have but not essential)
But the 2nd row you need most of the time and going to ski-holidays with family...you can't fold the 2nd row.
So where to put the skis?...a box on the roof won't fit with the falcon doors.

Sacrificing the practicability of fixing a roof rack or box for a seldom used easy entry of the 3rd row...hmmm.

So I'm very curious what solutions TM will bring for this...TM has proven to be very creative in this :)

Any chance that Tesla actually changes the design at this point? I would love to see the falcon doors as an option but I doubt that's going to happen if they plan on production by the end of 2013.
No. Falcon doors are there to stay on Model X.
Ordinary rear doors would demand completely different chassis. It would be a 4th Tesla model, not Model X anymore.
I see falcon doors as something that makes Model X really different from other cars. Yes, it's and EV but that doesn't matter because it can't be seen from the other side of a parking lot.

Those doors are saying: Tesla Motors has balls to lead. We don't follow.