Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Side Mirrors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

vfx

Aug 18, 2006
CA CA
For a car the is "close to production" these are a big move. Apparently Tesla is going to lobby to have these legal. Not even pairing with any other makers.

3 to 5% aero gain is a lot. WHile we have seen it on other design studies, they are a better solution than those headlights on the Leaf.
attachment.php?attachmentid=4186&stc=1.jpg

X rear view Mirror.jpg

The car was very dusty when the curtain dropped.​

I think it is clearly time to transition to cameras in place of mirrors, at least on higher end vehicles. The aero gains are significant. As pointed out, I think there is far less chance of damage to these things than to a large mirror poking way out.

I just wonder if they'll start finding a better place to put the "mirror" The traditional location makes sense for a real mirror, but with a transition to cameras it may make sense to place the camera closer to the rear of the vehicle with a wide angle view that would show completely eliminate blind spots and show any vehicle at the side quite clearly.

If my speculation is accurate, it would seem that that would be a key selling point to getting legislative approval--prove/show improved safety and better road vision than traditional mirrors and show that we can improve fuel efficiency.

I think it is clearly time to transition to cameras in place of mirrors, at least on higher end vehicles. The aero gains are significant.

I would think every auto maker will want this in the future. If Tesla can see 5% gains I am sure every other carmaker could see the same.

If Chrysler has a vehicle that gets 29.5MPG on the highway, why wouldn't they want to bump it up to 31MPG on the highway by just removing the mirrors?

Go Daniel, go Daniel, go Daniel (Witt).

I posted an idea to get around the mirror requirement in another thread, though don't know if it's practical. Put the smallest mirrors allowed but shape them so they can fold back and tuck into an aerodynamic shape with a camera on the edge, which would point back when folded in. That way you have mirrors you could fold out if the cameras failed for some reason, if that's the concern.

I posted an idea to get around the mirror requirement in another thread, though don't know if it's practical. Put the smallest mirrors allowed but shape them so they can fold back and tuck into an aerodynamic shape with a camera on the edge, which would point back when folded in. That way you have mirrors you could fold out if the cameras failed for some reason, if that's the concern.

I like that idea quite a lot. Not only would it permit skirting the law (I think), but you'd have a backup option if the camera fails for some reason.

Current US law: FMVSS Standard 111

Looks like mirror dimension for the driver side is based on field of view requirements. No such restrictions on the passenger side, though it will likely be the same size as the driver side mirror for aesthetic purposes.

+1 to JRP3's suggestion!

You are not even required to have a passenger mirror (if your inside rearview meets some requirement). My ZERO options Dodge Neon in the 90s didn't have one until I put one on.

Last edited:
I like the idea of being able to have the rear and side view inset in the driver dash cluster...
x_1.jpg

They had a 3 camera view in the prototype, but it looked like a work in progress.

I want these on my Model S.

Are you listening Tesla? Listen to this.

I want these on my Model S.

I understand that the Model S is too close to production to change this now. Take an engineering car and put them on, then figure out what tiny subtle changes you need to make to the S to make it compatible with the Model X camera mirrors so that it is an easy bolt on swap when you've got them approved.
I will take my car back to the Tesla store as soon as they are available/approved and get it done.

It was mentioned that having small screen on the inside near where the old mirrors used to be would be closer to when you need to check your blindspot.

Though with the placement, camera, and lens chosen correctly the field of view would show the blindspot on the dash screen as well.

I like the idea of being able to have the rear and side view inset in the driver dash cluster...
x_1.jpg

They had a 3 camera view in the prototype, but it looked like a work in progress.

While I tend to favor much sleeker less adorned dash designs. I do like the rich wood feel and black leather of this illustration.

Simle steampunk.

Love love love the idea of rear view cameras that can flip up into mirrors as a backup to camera failure. The feds should not just allow but mandate these on all new cars! We get better gas mileage and if the rearward view are implemented on either side of the speedometer as the Model X shows, you would always see someone coming up beside you. Tesla and Feds, we need this!

Love love love the idea of rear view cameras that can flip up into mirrors as a backup to camera failure. The feds should not just allow but mandate these on all new cars! We get better gas mileage and if the rearward view are implemented on either side of the speedometer as the Model X shows, you would always see someone coming up beside you. Tesla and Feds, we need this!

Mandating something that would add cost and complexity, for what benefit? For an entry-level Nissan Versa, should they be forced to raise the price X,000 just to add cameras when side view mirrors work just as fine? It's like mandating power windows.

Though i get the benefits of removing them, I don't see anything "wrong" with side view mirrors.