Page 8 of 20 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Thread: Model X Side Mirrors

I like the updated colors and rear mirrors and I also think it give the "X" a finished look that ready to take on the competition.

Head Moderator / Administrator doug's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by vfx View Post
    X Side mirror thread

Camera Mirrors
    Yes, as far as I can tell this has become an identical discussion, so I'm doing a merge.

Quote Originally Posted by Local host View Post
    This graphic is from the Tesla Motors site:

Attachment 5651

The first two are Model S and the third and fourth are Model X. Note the cameras have been replaced with side mirrors. I wonder if that means that they cannot get them approved.
    Possible but I do like the look despite it being so 20th Century.

Banned
    A lot of UK cars, where parking lot spaces are SO narrow, have mirrors that, using a switch fold inwards.

And I have done that with a UK car while driving (by mistake!) ... it felt weird.

Banned
    The photo of the mirror that starts this thread ... why does the lens and housing need to be SO big?

The camera on top of licence plates is tiny.

I'd love to see the image in the dash or in the windshield if possible.

S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13 jerry33's Avatar
    Presumably there is a motor in there so that you can adjust the angle.
    1. Do not copy anything that I post outside of the TMC forum without permission.
    2. Any advice or opinions posted here are to be taken as my personal opinions only. There is no implied warranty, fitness for purpose, or official statements from any company I may have been or am affiliated with.
    3. Even the best recommendations are wrong when used inappropriately.

Take a look at their latest twitter pic.

http://twitter.com/#!/TeslaMotors/st...446466/photo/1

Looks like they have added the mirrors to the actual beta. Guess they believe it is a bigger challenge then they can handle right now. Hopefully someone can get to Newport Beach to get some photos.

MSP#7577 **--** MX#1891 spatterso911's Avatar
    The beta at Fashion Island was converted with Model S mirrors. They looked pretty natural on the X.

Name:  IMG_1227.JPG
Views: 244
Size:  1.63 MB

Name:  IMG_1223.JPG
Views: 263
Size:  1.90 MB

Sig X#1100 and X#1618 Discoducky's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jerry33 View Post
    It's been known for some time that the side mounted cameras would never pass regulatory approval. They're a neat idea, and better than mirrors, but unless you have $500,000 minimum to pay the lawmakers to get the law changed, it won't happen.
    Subjective looks aside...yes, I know the car looks better with ears...

To push this through...It will take lobbying for sure, but I'm amazed their isn't a "safety commission" or the like that wouldn't be pushing this.

I'll make the argument that side/rear view always on cameras *should* be *better* than physical mirrors. And it's the *should* which requires trial and error, design iteration, innovation and market demand analysis.

Consider this...Hypothetically, what if the cost to put in all cameras and no mirrors was substantially in favor of cameras? Say somehow safety mirrors were way more expensive. There would be a push to implement cameras or something other than mirrors to offset the cost while keeping safety as high or higher than mirrors. Since this is not the case, we keep the mirrors.

I'll say it another way...What if airbags become so cheap, efficient and reliable that we don't need to install seatbelts anymore? That day may never come but it's really the same issue. Which is "we have this great safety thing, being seatbelts, but we think *now* there's a better solution. This is going to happen more and more as we push technology into our cars. We should have a better way to bring this tech to cars quicker and with greater certainty of it's intrinsic value.

And you'll need to convince people like this: Why Mandatory Rearview Cameras Won't Stop Backover Deaths - MSN Autos

I for one, am convinced, because having cameras, instead of mirrors *seems* like it would be much safer.

Here's my wacky notion. I would pay up to $2000 for having both mirrors and cameras installed on my Model X **IF** the ability of those cameras is substantial and included features like this:
    1. Traffic mapping - each camera can detect and track vehicles in several lanes of traffic up to 300 feet behind so at a glance the driver can be aware of what is behind their vehicle.
    2. Auto-headlight sensitivity - Drivers visibility won't be impaired or diminished by bright headlights from glare.
    3. Auto-cleaning - A rotating lens ensures that environmental factors won't interfere with the capabilities of the camera
    4. Natural-view - The viewing angle is much wider than conventional mirrors allowing the driver to see more of the road behind and does NOT need to be magnified to objects are NOT closer than they appear. They will actually appear to be how close they actually are.

Blog Entries
    "Personal responsibility"??? The guy's assumption that deaths are simply due to irresponsible and inattentive people is ludicrous. If you can't SEE, how can you possibly know if a small child just walked behind your car? It might have been clear before you got in the machine, but things can change quickly.
    Roadster #919, Model S #2006. Blog The Rules of Model S Road Tripping
    Moderator: Tesla Motors , Electric Vehicles, Media, Roadster,
    Canada, EVents and Off Topic sub-forums.

Thread Information