Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Was the unveiling car AWD?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In one of the various videos, Elon points to just under/behind the frunk and says that's where the 2nd motor is, so I'm guessing it does not eat up the frunk.
Agree. Note that the tunnel available in the Model S is gone in the Model X. That's where the motor goes. Whether or not it exists in that specific prototype? Who knows.

But to answer the general 'do they have AWD systems up and running' question, I'm willing to bet there's one or more Model S test-mules that have already had front motor prototype units installed, specifically to develop and test out the AWD system and control logic.

First of all, I wasn’t at the event so take this as my own thoughts.

The model X is a bit higher - the front is almost twice as high as model S, this leaves room for a sec motor + a frunk - so I see no reason why there wasn’t a AWD on display.
What was more interesting to know about was the turning radius, didn’t Musk said it would be smaller than a "mini" (should that be as in "BMW mini" ?) - witch sounds too good to be true...he claimed that this was because of AWD....did I misunderstand that part...

Does anyone know if the unveiled car was AWD or just RWD? I see the RWD option on there, I suspected it. But I wan't to know if they have a working AWD system up and running yet?

Yes, according to the Tesla rep who was driving my test ride. The test ride course was very short, but during the straightaway portion he specifically referenced, "You can feel the AWD working here, right?" (or something to that effect).

What was more interesting to know about was the turning radius, didn’t Musk said it would be smaller than a "mini" (should that be as in "BMW mini" ?) - witch sounds too good to be true...he claimed that this was because of AWD....did I misunderstand that part...
I caught this as well. It's not immediately obvious why the X would have a tighter turning radius (for its wheelbase length) than other vehicles. Here's my train of thought:
  • RWD vehicles have to push on the front wheels, so if they are turned too sharply, there's more sideways force on the wheel. There's a limit as to how far the wheels can turn before overstressing the suspension when you step on the accelerator.
    '
  • FWD vehicles don't have this problem, but they do have half-shafts with CV joints that need to articulate as the wheels turn. This is the same for X as it is for any other FWD or AWD vehicle, so that's not a valid difference.
    '
  • The difference for Model X is that the front motor is much smaller/narrower than a typical engine (either transverse-mounted 4-cyl, or V6/V8), so you physically have more space for wheel wells, inside which to turn the wheel, than you would in other cars.
    '
  • Finally, with an AWD EV, the vehicle can favor the front motor in the tightest slow-speed turns, so the front wheels pull the nose in the proper direction, instead of the back wheels pushing.

It's not immediately obvious why the X would have a tighter turning radius (for its wheelbase length) than other vehicles.

I believe an additional reason is due to torque vectoring of the wheels while turning, ala the Acura's "Super Handling" AWD, or Audi's "Quattro" AWD. Spin the outer wheel a tad faster in the turns, or slow the inner wheel a tad with brakes.

JB said Elon thinks they will gain a torque vectoring advantage. One of the engineers did not even know about that Mini statement. In talking with them it was clear they still have a lot of tweaking to do.

It has not been in snow yet and when I asked if it had been on a skidpad the team sort of waffled. I took it as a "not really".

I believe an additional reason is due to torque vectoring of the wheels while turning, ala the Acura's "Super Handling" AWD, or Audi's "Quattro" AWD. Spin the outer wheel a tad faster in the turns, or slow the inner wheel a tad with brakes.

That was the explanation I heard. In fact, at one point I heard someone say (my memory is fuzzy here) that in a parking lot maybe one of the front wheels would turn forward and one of the rear wheels would turn backward. This type of setup seems possible since they have two motors. I was hoping Elon would say more from the stage about it. But I agree with the idea that Model X is still a concept and they still have 20 months of work left to do so nothing is certain or set in stone.

Torque vectoring would help stability at speed, but I don't think it can help turning radius.

Also, side to side torque vectoring (like Honda SH-awd) would be more helpful than front to rear. I wonder if Tesla would add that extra complication to their drivetrain. I'm guessing it wouldn't be the best investment of limited time and money. However I guessed the same for power door handles, electric door release, in-house pano roof, falcon doors, etc.

GSP