Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance trim options

Which performance trim option will you get?

• Banana Leaf

Votes: 14 27.5%
  • Carbon Fiber

Votes: 28 54.9%
  • Lacewood

Votes: 4 7.8%
  • Piano Black

Votes: 5 9.8%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm going to need to see them (and the final dash) to be 100%, but I think I'm going for CF. None of the other options appeal to me except MAYBE piano black. I'd love a brushed aluminum and CF mix tho

I liked the idea of the Banana Leaf, but when I saw it at the Factory Event I was very disappointed by how it looked. I've heard they've improved it; if so then I may reconsider... BUT...

I rather like carbon fiber, so that's probably what I'll do regardless.

I worry that the CF is going to look dated. I'm not a fan of the "raw industrial materials" look in design or architecture, and CF falls squarely into that category.

A Santana Row rep told me that Tesla was not satisfied with the banana-leaf inserts that they were shipped for the original betas, but it's what they had so they used them. The next versions should be less glossy and more nuanced. We'll see. Unless it's been significantly improved, I'm in for the lacewood.

I like Piano Black. I'd also like brushed aluminum. I had that in my 635CSi many years ago and found it much nicer than wood.
However, since I'm going to lay out an absurd amount of money for an exclusive edition of the car, I'm going to get the matching exclusive CF.

Here's a sorta crappy pic of the carbon fiber. Both it, and the banana leaf were matte, but it could be because of how they were mounted:

2012-02-09 21.25.43.jpg

Planning on carbon fiber, but have to see how well it goes with the rest of the interior first.

I can't decide on which leather color to get. I think that will have a lot to do with the choice of carbon fiber or not. I think black leather and the carbon fiber would blend together too much. Maybe the saddle color with CF.

After seeing all the options at the X event, I'm sorry to say I'm not a big fan of any of them. The lacewood has potential but it has an odd, matte finish on it. I makes it not really look like wood at all to me. Very strange looking. The banana leaf was my favorite option, but I don't love it. Too stripy and kind of a cool tone (not cool good, cool as opposed to warm - kind of grayish). I wish they had some beautiful warm walnut option. CF is too masculine for me (my husband likes it though of course!) and the piano black just looks like black plastic. Is it? Really wish they had a nicer wood option! Actually on the Model X interior concept board they had a nice wood - wenge I believe it was. I'd like that on my S!

For me, I like a nice wood finish without the varnish. It feels like wood. But you can always have a clear-coat applied once you have the car.

I hope it is not glossy also. Our local Tesla store apparently isn't important enough to have wood or leather samples yet, but I am looking forward to seeing the lacewood. I like what Audi is doing now with their non-glossy wood.

For me, I like a nice wood finish without the varnish. It feels like wood. But you can always have a clear-coat applied once you have the car.

Ever see the dash on an old Triumph? The problem is that without heavy varnish the sun and dry air will make it deteriorate in a few years. Oiling the wood helps, but few modern car buyers will do that.
Occasionally you see a matte varnish that looks like real wood - but far too often the "make it last the lifetime of the car" requirement results in wood that is indistinguishable from wood-colored plastic. That's why I prefer other trim finishes like aluminum and CF. My latest car has black anodized aluminum textured to look like CF. Pretty hard to tell the difference and much cheaper.