Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

#268 - Red - San Jose, CA [SOLD]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

TEG

Teslafanatic
Aug 20, 2006
Tesla Tesla | eBay
$(KGrHqZHJCIE8mU5sorBBPMInjB3(Q~~60_12.JPG

Last edited:
Are those aftermarket wheels, did he have them painted, or were they offered like that on the early models?

After the 1.5 price increase, the forged aluminum wheels that were standard became an extra cost option, and this wheel style became the base price standard. However, an early batch of them (around this particular VIN) came in the wrong color... a gun metal look rather than the expected silver. Some preferred to keep this color even though Tesla offered to replace them. I think they work quite well with a red car.

Those are my wheels.

They are impossible to replace. Not a good thing for an item that gets battered by roads.

I have a set of four with snow tires for my Roadster.

Probably won't have any use for them after this winter since I plan on retiring the Roadster from winter use when we get the Model S.

Just to complete this thread, I'm now the new owner of #268 which I purchased last April. Very pleased and loving every moment I step into the Roadster. I live in Santa Cruz and work in the South Bay and I surely will be seeing some of you on the road :)

Congratulations Wiztecy!
At the risk of being rude, could you tell me what you paid for the car and how many miles were on it? I'm in the market for one but I'm waiting for them to get a little closer to my price range.
Thanks

Thank you, 268 really caught my eye when I set eyes on it on the eBay listing... I then used Craigzoom [US wide search(which craigslist now shutdown)] and I saw a history where the price kept dropping down so I knew there was room to negotiate. One thing, although I could feel I could negotiate, I really couldn't negotiate that much since the roadster had dropped a good bit in money already, had very very low miles, was immaculate, and was sitting in Tesla's garage almost as long than the owner had it himself. Just amazing how some of these roadsters just want to be driven but are sitting around in a personal show room (hopefully plugged in), instead of having fun on the road.

The key to buying a roadster is to be ready, best if you have the cash, loan, stock sale, or black male baby exchange (j/k) ready when you do. Also know that when the roadster reaches a certain price ( in relation to is year/mileage/care ) that other potential buyers will be attracted too. Some colors also are more attractive to buyers so keep that in mind. Another factor in the price of purchase is the sales tax and the "agreed upon" sale price. I didn't have any movement there so my cost went up some and that also factored into my "can I really buy this now" price.

Insurance is another factor, ask you insurance broker for a full coverage quote. I have the best agent around and he was able to get the full coverage to be very very affordable, about a few hundred dollars a year over what I'm paying for my 2 other basic coverage vehicles. The Tesla is listed as a "pleasure vehicle". So look for any discounts your broker can offer for you. It helps also to have the car ready for the agent, mine was really amazed by the Roadster and I think the Tesla factor helped out. I've seen this "Tesla factor" also work in getting discounts at the local automotive shop, such as with the detailing goodies. If you have a wife, I found that to be the biggest hurdle, make sure you promise lots of nights out in the roadster... Dinners, dancing, etc :). It makes the whole process go smoother!

As for what did I pay, that will have to remain a secret for that then my wife will also know and that adds up to many 5 star dinner and dancing night outs ;)

Thank you, 268 really caught my eye when I set eyes on it on the eBay listing... I then used Craigzoom [US wide search(which craigslist now shutdown)] and I saw a history where the price kept dropping down so I knew there was room to negotiate. One thing, although I could feel I could negotiate, I really couldn't negotiate that much since the roadster had dropped a good bit in money already, had very very low miles, was immaculate, and was sitting in Tesla's garage almost as long than the owner had it himself. Just amazing how some of these roadsters just want to be driven but are sitting around in a personal show room (hopefully plugged in), instead of having fun on the road.

The key to buying a roadster is to be ready, best if you have the cash, loan, stock sale, or black male baby exchange (j/k) ready when you do. Also know that when the roadster reaches a certain price ( in relation to is year/mileage/care ) that other potential buyers will be attracted too. Some colors also are more attractive to buyers so keep that in mind. Another factor in the price of purchase is the sales tax and the "agreed upon" sale price. I didn't have any movement there so my cost went up some and that also factored into my "can I really buy this now" price.

Insurance is another factor, ask you insurance broker for a full coverage quote. I have the best agent around and he was able to get the full coverage to be very very affordable, about a few hundred dollars a year over what I'm paying for my 2 other basic coverage vehicles. The Tesla is listed as a "pleasure vehicle". So look for any discounts your broker can offer for you. It helps also to have the car ready for the agent, mine was really amazed by the Roadster and I think the Tesla factor helped out. I've seen this "Tesla factor" also work in getting discounts at the local automotive shop, such as with the detailing goodies. If you have a wife, I found that to be the biggest hurdle, make sure you promise lots of nights out in the roadster... Dinners, dancing, etc :). It makes the whole process go smoother!

As for what did I pay, that will have to remain a secret for that then my wife will also know and that adds up to many 5 star dinner and dancing night outs ;)
Thank you for the tips, I'll make sure I'm prepared.