Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mysterious Clay Model?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

WhiteKnight

_____ P85 #549 _____ Sig Red / Sig White
Jun 27, 2011
Atlanta
On a lark I watched the recruitment video on Tesla's career page and at 1:23 in the video they showed a clay model which at first glance looks like Model S but upon closer examination may be BlueStar since it looks to be a shorter wheelbase with shorter overhangs.

What do you think?

[video=vimeo;15411923]http://vimeo.com/15411923[/video]

On a lark I watched the recruitment video on Tesla's career page and at 1:23 in the video they showed a clay model which at first glance looks like Model S but upon closer examination may be BlueStar since it looks to be a shorter wheelbase with shorter overhangs.

What do you think?

[video=vimeo;15411923]http://vimeo.com/15411923[/video]

I need to take another look at this.

The clay model is of the Model S...just look at the body line.

Last edited:
When I first saw that video I assumed it was Model S (mostly due to the turbine wheels). I noticed it was shorter but thought maybe it wasn't a scale model. The front end has definitely been chopped off though.

What do you think?

Looks like a two door coupe.

5574cae0-7c18-5191.jpg

Hmm... does have a coupe/two-door look to it.

attachment.php?attachmentid=4058&d=1328643564.jpg

Hard to say, though. It might just be the aspect ratio of the video. Also there's no B-pillar in the model to give a sense of how the doors open. But assuming the wheels are the same size, it certainly isn't a Model S.
model-s_960x640_f.jpg

clay Tesla.JPG

Hmm... does have a coupe/two-door look to it.

Hard to say, though. It might just be the aspect ratio of the video. Also there's no B-pillar in the model to give a sense of how the doors open. But assuming the wheels are the same size, it certainly isn't a Model S.

I assume you mean video image (not digital) compression or squeeze. Aspect ratio is just the height to width ratio of the frame. If the image was distorted the round wheels would clearly show any deformation

An clay photo overlay with the S would reveal some info. 2 versions. One lining up the wheels and another trying to match the general shape with the S to see where the wheels fall.

I also think the clay has a two door boxy look.

I assume you mean video image (not digital) compression or squeeze. Aspect ratio is just the height to width ratio of the frame. If the image was distorted the round wheels would clearly show any deformation
Yeah, that's what I meant. I was specifically looking at the wheels which do look basically round, though the tires look a lot thicker on the inside than on the outside.

Anyhow, looks good and a logical direction to go, though I'm sure we're a ways off from learning much more. Looks like a shorter wheel base so maybe a smaller battery pack. Perhaps 12 or 14 modules instead of the 16 in the Model S.

It seem very unlikely that Tesla would be this careless with leaking photos or info... we've only seen one teaser of the model x and they've been very clear about their confidentiality policy with their workers. Bluestar is probably still close to a paper napkin drawing right now since it's to debut in about 2015. even if it is a coupe, that is probably 2 or 3 years away. this video is also over a year old... something to think about...