Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Unveiling Viewing Event at Santana Row Store 2/9 @ 8pm PST

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I visited the black beta Model S at Santana Row tonight to get my "fix" on the way back from Santa Cruz.

I was asked by one of the Tesla Reps to please post on the forums an open invitation to their "Model X Unveiling Viewing Event at Santana Row", Feb. 9th @ 8pm on their large LCD in the back of the store. He said "we can all get excited together". Will also be another opportunity to meet other Bay Area Model S reservationists. I forget to ask if people will be able to make Model X reservations that night? Somebody should ask them and post... I you live near another store, you might want to contact them to see if they are hosting something similar.

Model S:

He also claimed Model S test "drives" will start in late spring / early summer. I said "won't that be very close to when Signature folks are supposed to receive their cars"? He said yes, it will. I assume and hope they won't ask anyone to sign an ironclad contract until they've had a chance to test drive. I also sure hope at least Signature folks will get test "rides" in R.C. cars before "drives" are available and/or allowable by NHTSA certification.

We also looked at the 19" and 21" S wheel display in the back of the store. He told me if it is an upgrade option for you, then he only recommends the 21" wheels if you just love they way they look on the car. Otherwise, he said they weigh more than the 19 inchers, so will reduce range a bit. Also, "if you run over a pothole, you might get a flat tire" because of the low profile tires. He also claimed the 19" aero wheels really look good. (Unfortunately, I'll be stuck with 21" performance wheels on S performance model, since they haven't said they'll give credit for wheel "downgrades".)

He also claimed Model S test "drives" will start in late spring / early summer. I said "won't that be very close to when Signature folks are supposed to receive their cars"? He said yes, it will. I assume and hope they won't ask anyone to sign an ironclad contract until they've had a chance to test drive. I also sure hope at least Signature folks will get test "rides" in R.C. cars before "drives" are available and/or allowable by NHTSA certification.
I assume there will be Sig-only drive events as soon as possible to give them a chance to drive before contract lock-down. I know my wife won't be signing a contact for that kind of $$ without a test drive.

Tesla is taking reservations for the Model X starting at the unveiling February 9th.

Time to start another sticky thread in the Model X sub forum. michiganmodels does an incredible job with the Model S tally. Anyone who already knows he will place a deposit for Model X, care to do a tally thread for X? He/She should frequent both TMC and TM forums to collect reservation numbers.

I checked in with my CA (Kyle) to be sure that the Santana Row store will indeed have the "live webcast" on the big TV there.

He replied that he was double checking the network performance to the store to be sure it'd work, and later this afternoon he said:

Alright, looks like everything is good to go. We'll be streaming it live here in-store. :)

Looks to me like date night with the wife on Santana Row tomorrow, live entertainment at the Tesla store!

He said they'd be streaming to these west coast stores: Bellevue Square, Santana Row, and Fashion Island.

/Mitch.

Looks to me like date night with the wife on Santana Row tomorrow, live entertainment at the Tesla store!

He said they'd be streaming to these west coast stores: Bellevue Square, Santana Row, and Fashion Island.

/Mitch.
How about Menlo Park? I'm on the fence about driving down to San Jose right after practice when I could just watch from my laptop. But I wouldn't mind walking across the street to the Menlo Park store.

Nope, none that I've seen. In any case, the Menlo setup is spacious but, very barebones otherwise. Santana Row (with the rest of the food and entertainment options around) is indeed a better bet.

Santana Row is better because when people walk by on the typical busy Thursday night they'll be curious as to what's going on with all the people in the toy store.

My wife and I were there, probably 50+ people in the store for the announcement.

The stream steadily declined in quality over the presentation, but was good enough to see what was going on. A bunch of Tesla engineers and managers were there as well, good for meet&greet.

/Mitch.

Did it drop the start of the event there too or were they on a special link?

Our feed didn't start right at 8pm, but we saw the whole thing starting with "We're all family" George Blankenship. It was weird, because the quality was excellent all the way through the Model S sales pitch. As soon as the Model X was being driven on-stage, the quality deteriorated. Conspiracy theory: "Big Oil" paid for a DoS attack on their site! :mad:

There were some non-sales Tesla employees there just to see the vehicle, also, with their co-workers. Reminds me of Apple, where only people working on a project get to see it prior to release to minimize chance of leaks...

[postings get replied to so quickly here today it almost feelings like we're in a chat room!]

Last edited:
Our feed didn't start right at 8pm, but we saw the whole thing starting with "We're all family" George Blankenship. It was weird, because the quality was excellent all the way through the Model S sales pitch. As soon as the Model X was being driven on-stage, the quality deteriorated. Conspiracy theory: "Big Oil" paid for a DoS attack on their site! :mad:

What really happened is the alternate address got posted here and all of us logged on.