Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How many would take factory delivery if it was available?

Who wants to pick up at the factory?

• Not me

Votes: 30 41.7%
  • Yes - local in-State

Votes: 27 37.5%
  • Yes- would come from out of State

Votes: 13 18.1%
  • Yes - would come internationally

Votes: 2 2.8%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would love to fly down to San Jose and pick up my car from the factory. I would actually love to watch it come down the line, but that would probably be too time consuming.
Assuming that there was no paperwork entanglement due to taxation issues or licensing issues, how many people would do this?

Well I would if it worked like European factory pickup (even without tax/tariff benefits) where you pick it up drive around a while on a vacation. Then they ship it to you. I just can't imagine driving my first electric car cross country before I get used to it.

Basically if they offered a factory tour, and some factory love. I would take a San Fran vacation to celebrate my new car.

I voted "Not me" because I want my car delivered to Atlanta. If I can afford and decide to purchase the 85kWh car, I might be convinced to drive from DC. As it would only be 3 days, and I could stay with friends each night all the way to Atlanta.

EDIT: DC is the closest current store to North Metro Atlanta.

It's only 150 miles for me. Not much difference than going to Menlo Park. I understand that at the "store", they do final prep etc, which they might not want to do at the factory. But I would love being able to stand on a platform and watch *MY* car take shape!

I marked that I would do it, but, from what I've been told, I would have to pay California sales tax to do so. I live in Oregon where there is no sales tax. Needless to say, factory delivery is not worth it if I have to pay sales tax on the vehicle. I would like to see the factory though.

As thinks stand I think that I can pick it up from Bellevue, WA and not pay sales tax. I saw somewhere on this forum some speculation that a Portland, OR store is in the works, so that might be an option by the time my number comes up. If I do end up picking up in WA, I'm going to make a couple day trip out of getting back to Eugene. I'm thinking about driving down the coast highway.

I was thinking about this the other day... I guess it would be cool to take a road trip across the country in it -- in theory. In practice, I get bored on the 2 hour trip to NYC. I guess I'd have to stop more, so that could be a plus -- but overall, I think it would be a miserable trip and I'd expose my new baby to all sorts of crap on the way.

I chose "yes, in-state only" but really what I mean is "a reasonable distance away." I live in Maryland -- hardly the largest state ;-), and near DC anyway. I wouldn't want to drive across the entire country! But if I lived on the same coast as a factory and it were, say, within a day's drive, I'd do it. But I don't want to make an expensive/time-consuming one-way-fly/drive-home trip out of it, no.

I live 10 miles away from the factory so, it's a no-brainer! I'd love a few photo ops at the factory with my new car and then, broadcast that to my (FB, G+, Twitter, etc.) world!

Btw, a little bird from T told me recently that they are planning on having a 'variety' of delivery options available (incl at the factory), some of which might be even more 'attractive' than factory delivery! Not sure what all that means but, we'd apparently be hearing more about this (and the relevant destination charges) 'very soon'. That's as far as I got...

It's only 150 miles for me. Not much difference than going to Menlo Park. I understand that at the "store", they do final prep etc, which they might not want to do at the factory. But I would love being able to stand on a platform and watch *MY* car take shape!

Rob, factory delivery would include final prep as well, I'd think.

I'd come down from Ontario for sure to watch my Model S being assembled on the line & drive it for a few days whilst on vacation there...our last trip to Cali for the plant tour was great...I'd go back.

I'm not sure the tax issue applies to me...I think if I had to pay Cali sales tax prior to the HST tax we have here in Ontario, I get to deduct the Cali tax from the HST...not sure what rate the Cali sales tax is though...

I'd like to see the vehicle being assembled & pick it up at the plant...think it would be a very unique experience!

I said no.

However, I would if they didn't make me pay California's sales tax. No sales tax on EVs in Washington.
Ditto. No sales tax in Oregon (for anything) :tongue:

My wife's family lives in the San Francisco bay area. I would really love to take delivery, take a wine tour, see her family, then cruise back up to Portland, OR.

I chose "yes, in-state only" but really what I mean is "a reasonable distance away." I live in Maryland -- hardly the largest state ;-), and near DC anyway. I wouldn't want to drive across the entire country! But if I lived on the same coast as a factory and it were, say, within a day's drive, I'd do it. But I don't want to make an expensive/time-consuming one-way-fly/drive-home trip out of it, no.

Wouldn't that be "Not me" then, since the factory is in California?

Would definitely come down from Oregon (where we enjoy no sales tax but 9% income tax) if I did not have to pay California sales tax. Delivery fee would be less than the sales tax so as it is, California is not going to get money anyway. They may as well allow factory delivery without sales tax and pick up some value from the increased tourism!

I'd come down from Ontario for sure to watch my Model S being assembled on the line & drive it for a few days whilst on vacation there...our last trip to Cali for the plant tour was great...I'd go back.

I'm not sure the tax issue applies to me...I think if I had to pay Cali sales tax prior to the HST tax we have here in Ontario, I get to deduct the Cali tax from the HST...not sure what rate the Cali sales tax is though...

I'd like to see the vehicle being assembled & pick it up at the plant...think it would be a very unique experience!

Hmmm.... could you even get a Canadian car licensed for that purpose?

Indeed. I find it amusing that California will likely be throwing away tourism $ because of their vehicle delivery taxation policies. Further, they're counter-productive w/r/t EV vs. ICE because those choosing non-factory delivery (because of the taxation) are requiring more ICE trucking on the road to get their vehicles.

Btw, a little bird from T told me recently that they are planning on having a 'variety' of delivery options available (incl at the factory), some of which might be even more 'attractive' than factory delivery! Not sure what all that means but, we'd apparently be hearing more about this (and the relevant destination charges) 'very soon'. That's as far as I got...
This is really intriguing. While I don't think we have a charging infrastructure sufficient for me to drive from Fremont to Boston, I'd be interested in hearing more options.