Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As most of my current projects rap up, I might suggest this as a project for the Dallas Makerspace. Especially since one member already has a Nissan Leaf.

I'd also like to see a DIY EV interface for CHAdeMO. I was thinking something more along the lines of, for example, a Mbed for CAN bus integration and battery management.

I may also suggest that we forward our results to Tesla's Engineers so that we can have official support and develop an interface for the Roadster, Model S, and future Vehicles.

As most of my current projects rap up, I might suggest this as a project for the Dallas Makerspace. Especially since one member already has a Nissan Leaf.

I'd also like to see a DIY EV interface for CHAdeMO. I was thinking something more along the lines of, for example, a Mbed for CAN bus integration and battery management.

I may also suggest that we forward our results to Tesla's Engineers so that we can have official support and develop an interface for the Roadster, Model S, and future Vehicles.

As I said in the thread that talked about a reverse engineered CHAdeMO micro-turbine range extender, I find it unlikely that the CHAdeMO association will take legal action against a few enthusiasts reverse engineering their standard mostly for hobby.

However, I don't expect them to ignore Tesla (who will be selling a substantial amount of EVs for profit and likely would make some sort of profit off of a CHAdeMO adapter). There will likely be licensing fees involved for Tesla, which probably does play a significant role in why they are avoiding it (the second reason is probably mainly the CAN bus and the number of pins). As I said in the previous thread, given the likelihood of J1772-DC support via adapter, I'm not particularly worred about CHAdeMO support for Tesla in North America. These efforts will probably benefit Tesla owners in Japan or Europe a lot more.

It will be interesting to see how the CHAdeMO verses J1772-DC "war" plays out in North America. We already have a few CHAdeMO chargers, and lots (by historical EV standards) of CHAdeMO vehicles. Plans to install a lot more CHAdeMO chargers in the near future have been announced. Nissan and Mitsubishi are rolling out their CHAdeMO vehicles nationwide. Expect CHAdeMO vehicles to really ramp up.

Here is one US CHAdeMO announcement:

Nissan Sets 1,500 - 2,000 DC Quick Charging Target For U.S. By 2014
"If everything goes according to plan, Nissan expects more than 800 DC quick charging stations will be installed in the U.S. in the next two months, with over 1,000 quick charging stations online by the end of 2012."

So far, no J1772-DC chargers or vehicles have even been announced (although GM released a rendering of the Spark EV that appeared to include a J1772-DC port).

On the other hand, it is still early in the game.

GSP

Last edited:
It will be interesting to see how the CHAdeMO verses J1772-DC "war" plays out in North America. We already have a few CHAdeMO chargers, and lots (by historical EV standards) of CHAdeMO vehicles. Plans to install a lot more CHAdeMO chargers in the near future have been announced. Nissan and Mitsubishi are rolling out their CHAdeMO vehicles nationwide. Expect CHAdeMO vehicles to really ramp up.
The number of CHAdeMO chargers is still quite small. Even if Nissan does end up rolling out 1000 chargers by the end of 2012, that's still not an insurmountable lead. The number of CHAdeMO capable vehicles out right now in the US is historically large (in the 10k/year range), but it can be easily eclipsed in the future as BEV volumes grow to the 100k/year range. I expect the US government will put their full support on J1772-DC once it is ready (supposedly it will be by the end of this year) and all other DC standards will fall to the side (just like what happended with J1772). The fact that the Tesla connector likely supports J1772-DC via adapter also helps.

Right now the biggest advantage of CHAdeMO is it's ready and Nissan makes relatively inexpensive chargers for it. However, there are enough advantages to J1772-DC (and the IEC 62196-3 standard) to make it difficult for the CHAdeMO association to get non-Japanese EV makes to get onboard (except for the partnerships/clones like Renault, and the Peugeot Ion/Citroën C-Zero) and make it "defacto".

http://www.chademo.com/pdf/CHAdeMOtsjis.pdf
CHAdeMO Specification to be open as a Technical Specification (TS) of JIS
August 28, 2012
On August 23, Japanese Industrial Standards Committee (JISC) held its Automobile Technology Committee to decide that the CHAdeMO standard specification for DC fast chargers shall be issued as its Technical Specification (TS).
This is a part of CHAdeMO activities voted on at the 2012 General Assembly: to propose CHAdeMO Specification to JIS, while keep working on IEC to be admitted in its international standard. The official JIS Technical specification (TS) is scheduled to be published shortly, if all goes as planned.
Being approved as JIS TS allows the specification to be disclosed faster than the normal JIS standard process, and ahead of the anticipated IEC publication next year. CHAdeMO shall be recognized, and made open as an official standard of Japan. Moving ahead from its current status as a private standard, this is expected to contribute to garnering more active international supports for CHAdeMO.
CHAdeMO Association Secretariat

- - - Updated - - -

Some other CHAdeMO threads:

CHAdeMO
TEPCO/CHAdeMO Level III charging station/connector
Likelihood of a CHAdeMO adapter for the Model S

I LOVE your idea! There are already LOTS of CHAdeMO chargers about every 40 miles on many of the highways here in WA as well as OR as a part of the "green highway". They are in public lots by burger stations, etc, and available 24/7. Being able to access them, instead of just the slow speed adapters included with my car would make trips to the airport / city, etc infinitely more convenient. In speaking with Tesla customer support last week, I was told that "there are no current plans to create a CHAdeMO adapter for the S" in spite of the enormous benefit that it would provide for people like me that have a CHAdeMO infrustructure already in place. He took my VIN # and submitted a request in to his superiors to consider it's development. He told me that the more people that placed such a request, the more influence it would have on Tesla. I had suggested that other people call customer support, or otherwise pressure Tesla to make a CHAdeMO adapter, but I think that creatint an aftermarket adapter might be a great idea, to al least pressure Tesla to do the right thing, or actually provide a less costly or alternative product. Where do I sign up to get one??

3D printed plug

IMG_4530[1].JPG
IMG_4531[1].JPG

Seen at the Leaf Club booth NIPD, Long Beach