Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 91

Thread: Charging in Upstate New York (or maybe Vermont)

  1. #31
    Roadster 919, S 2006 Doug_G's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Ottawa, Canada
    Posts
    12,220
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by hcsharp View Post
    What's wrong with the half-dozen or so chargers in Syracuse and Rome, NY? You wouldn't have to be there long if Albany is on the edge of your range. Or maybe you didn't want to stay overnight in Albany?
    I have not had confirmation that those chargers are (a) real, (b) have acceptable power levels, and (c) are publicly accessible.

  2. #32
    Senior Member hcsharp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Vermont
    Posts
    1,572
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug_G View Post
    I have not had confirmation that those chargers are (a) real, (b) have acceptable power levels, and (c) are publicly accessible.
    There are so many that it's hard to believe they all don't work. Syracuse has 13+ Blink chargers that all show up as operational on the Blink network. Another 15+ that are off network. Mostly public parking lots. 5 chargers in Rome NY, 4 of which are in public parking lots although they indicate "off network." If it's anything like Chargepoint, off network just means they aren't paying the monthly fee to Blink or ChargePoint to be active on their network, but the charger still works. All the network does is tell you if they are in use or not. Various charge maps show them as 32A 240v or 208v. A quick phone call to Rome City Hall would probably tell you whether they are operational since most of them are in municipal lots. I realize you'd rather find 40A sources. RV parks aren't generally open yet but many owners are there year-round. I would encourage you not to give up yet!

  3. #33
    Happy Model S Owner
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Ithaca, NY, USA
    Posts
    1,673
    Well, Doug, sorry I didn't manage to verify the charger locations in Syracuse.

    Even though I'm not getting an electric car right now, I went ahead and sprung for a NEMA 14-50 outdoor outlet on my house, so if you ever plan to stop by Ithaca, you know you have some place to charge (after tonight when the electricians finish working).

    (I figured after investigation that doing the wiring for the outdoor outlet, where I'm absolutely sure where it will need to be no matter what electric car I get in the future, made sense; the most I'd have to replace is the socket.)

  4. #34
    Roadster 919, S 2006 Doug_G's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Ottawa, Canada
    Posts
    12,220
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by neroden View Post
    Well, Doug, sorry I didn't manage to verify the charger locations in Syracuse.

    Even though I'm not getting an electric car right now, I went ahead and sprung for a NEMA 14-50 outdoor outlet on my house, so if you ever plan to stop by Ithaca, you know you have some place to charge (after tonight when the electricians finish working).

    (I figured after investigation that doing the wiring for the outdoor outlet, where I'm absolutely sure where it will need to be no matter what electric car I get in the future, made sense; the most I'd have to replace is the socket.)
    Hey, that's awesome. That would be the missing link I am looking for!

  5. #35
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    18
    I believe that I read that CVPS (power company) has installed chargers in Middlebury and Montpelier.

  6. #36
    Senior Member hcsharp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Vermont
    Posts
    1,572
    Quote Originally Posted by bsimoes View Post
    I believe that I read that CVPS (power company) has installed chargers in Middlebury and Montpelier.
    I'll believe it when I see it. Their so-called public charger installed in Rutland about 2 years ago is still not operational. OK, they use it themselves but if they catch you charging there they will kick you out. This despite the fact that they made a big deal bragging about it in the brochure that came in our electric bill. They blame the state for not approving a special rate for them to charge EVs but that's not the whole story. They could easily charge normal rates until it's resolved.

  7. #37
    Roadster 919, S 2006 Doug_G's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Ottawa, Canada
    Posts
    12,220
    Blog Entries
    1
    I've just added the following to the summary at the start of the thread:

    Watertown Hilton Garden Inn has a "30A or 40A" outlet at the right side door (reported by a friend, wasn't sure of plug type).
    Roadster #919, Model S #2006. Blog The Rules of Model S Road Tripping
    Moderator: Tesla Motors , Electric Vehicles, Media, Roadster,
    Canada, EVents and Off Topic sub-forums.

  8. #38
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    3,627
    reviving an oldish thread because I'm planning on taking a road trip to finger lakes country NY. I am looking for the best place to charge around skaneateles/syracuse. I see some public 30A charging stations...i'll be lowish on battery so using one of those will take a good 7 hours or more to fully charge. any recommendations? I'm guessing maybe an RV park somewhere may be the best bet? Any good hiking around those parts? I guess I wouldn't mind hiking around for a few hours to get a full charge on a NEMA 14-50 in an RV park. Any help/recommendations appreciated! If anyone knows of a HPWC in these parts (i have dual chargers) that may be even better
    P85. VIN05837. Mileage (05/13/14): 48,000mi, Black | Tan Leather | Perf Seats | Obeche Glossy | Pano | Tech | Sound Studio | Air | Spoiler | Parcel Shelf | Twin Chargers | HPWC | Fog | Extended Trim | Alcantara | Premium Lighting, Aftermkt: XPEL | 40/20% Tint | Lighted T | 19" Tsportline TST Grey Turbines | 255/45ZR19 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S3

  9. #39
    Senior Member hcsharp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Vermont
    Posts
    1,572
    I think you've got the right idea looking for an RV park/campground, especially if you like hiking. I would call a few and ask if there is access to good hiking trails directly from the campground. Some are more EV friendly than others so make sure they will have a 50A outlet available on the days you're there.

    Quote Originally Posted by yobigd20 View Post
    reviving an oldish thread because I'm planning on taking a road trip to finger lakes country NY. I am looking for the best place to charge around skaneateles/syracuse. I see some public 30A charging stations...i'll be lowish on battery so using one of those will take a good 7 hours or more to fully charge. any recommendations? I'm guessing maybe an RV park somewhere may be the best bet? Any good hiking around those parts? I guess I wouldn't mind hiking around for a few hours to get a full charge on a NEMA 14-50 in an RV park. Any help/recommendations appreciated! If anyone knows of a HPWC in these parts (i have dual chargers) that may be even better

  10. #40
    Senior Member JRP3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Central New York
    Posts
    6,879
    You might try Plugshare and Chargepoint as well.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. #658 - Very Orange - New York
    By TEG in forum Tesla for Sale
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 2012-08-22, 10:00 PM
  2. P424 on Craigslist New York
    By howabout2 in forum Tesla for Sale
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 2012-08-09, 06:50 AM
  3. New York Times Watts Next?
    By vfx in forum Electric Vehicles
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 2011-05-11, 02:25 PM
  4. Taxi on Fire in New York
    By vfx in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 2009-09-06, 12:30 PM
  5. New York Post
    By doug in forum News
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 2009-02-03, 05:12 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •