Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging in Upstate New York (or maybe Vermont)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Doug_G

Lead Moderator
Global Moderator
Apr 2, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
We've had a few conversations scattered around the forums, so I'd like to consolidate a discussion on charging in the "EV wasteland" of upstate NY. (I'm not including New York City in this, since there are many options available there.) We'll also include Vermont since there are alternative routes there.

Whenever a charge location gets added to the list, I'll edit it into this first post.

NEW YORK

J1772 30A 208V (confirmed) right outside front door Albany NY Downtown Hotels | Albany Holiday Inn New York

NEMA 14-50 Ithica, NY, being installed by neroden

Watertown Hilton Garden Inn has a "30A or 40A" outlet at the right side door (reported by a friend, wasn't sure of plug type).

VERMONT

Level 1 (not tested) A Romantic Vermont Inn - The Inn at Weathersfield - Rustic Luxury and Gourmet Dining in a Romantic 1792 Inn

Tesla HPC and NEMA 14-50 (confirmed) Jericho VT - private garage. Tesla owners welcome to charge with advance notice. Contact forum member ViperDoc [email protected]

Tesla HPC (confirmed) Thetford VT - private outdoor charger available off I-91. Will be posted shortly on Open Charge Map (per hcsharp).

Tesla HPC (confirmed) Putney VT - private HPC that has been made available to Roadster owners. PM hcsharp as he can contact the owner for you.

Level 1, Level2 (not tested) Home | Healthy Living Market and Cafe | South Burlington, VT

Last edited:
My personal interest in this: I have a trip coming up, where I am going to drive from Ottawa, ON to Suffern, NY in late April. I'd like to take my Roadster.

I have a friend in Binghamton who has offered to put a NEMA 14-50 in his garage. If I can make it that far I can make it to Suffern. Assuming I can get 110V at the hotel I will be able to return there a few days later.

There appears to be a hotel in Albany with an EV charger. So if I can get to either Albany or Binghamton I can get to Suffern.

Of course, if there's a faster way I'm all ears!

Last edited:
This is from New publicly sponsered charging network across Québec.

It's slim pickins along the I-87 corridor in NY state. There's a 30A 208V charger at the Holiday Inn in downtown Albany NY that I've used. Unless you want to stay overnight somewhere, you're better off coming down I-91 where you will find 70A Roadster hubs in Thetford and Putney, VT, and New Haven, CT. From there it's a short drive to the southeast corner of NY state. Even using all the 70A hubs, it's still a long drive for one day. It would be long in an ICE vehicle.

I would probably come down 416 and cross at Ogdensburg, then through Utica NY to Albany and stay overnight at the Holiday Inn. Wake up and you're a short drive to your destination. You would only need to find a charging point about half way between Ottawa and Albany. Most of that route is at favorable Roadster speeds and close to state forests so there has to be a lot of campgrounds on that leg. A few phone calls to see if any are open in winter...

Let me know if you want to go thru Montreal - Burlington VT - I-91... I'll try to help.

Can you provide more information on 70A charging in Thetford VT, Putney, VT, and New Haven, CT? Are these private locations?

It might be possible to get to Utica, NY, but I'd have to stop somewhere before that for charging. In the summer I could go to the Ganonoque KOA, but they don't open until May 4, a couple of weeks after my trip.

Last edited:
You should check for " realness ", but from the alternative fuel website :

For Vermont :

Central Vermont Public Service Corporation
Electric
2154 Post Rd
Rutland VT 05701
Type: Level 1, Level 2
Phone: 888-758-4389
Distance: NaN Miles
Access: Public - see hours

Healthy Living Market and Caf?
Electric
222 Dorset St
South Burlington VT 05403
Phone: 888-758-4389 802-863-2569

Saint Michael's College
Electric
30 College Pkwy
Colchester VT 05446

For New York :

Results 1 to 10 of 83 (see rest here : Alternative Fuels and Advanced Vehicles Data Center: Alternative Fueling Station Locator)

New York Institute of Technology - Central Islip Solar Carport Station
Electric
300 Carleton Ave
Central Islip NY 11722
Type: Level 1
Phone: 516-686-1007
Access: Private access only

New York Institute of Technology - Old Westbury Solar Carport Station
Electric
Valentines Ln and Northern Blvd
Old Westbury NY 11568
Phone: 516-686-1007

NYSERDA Headquarters
Electric
17 Columbia Cir
Albany NY 12203
Phone: 503-892-7345

Saratoga Technology & Energy Park
Electric
10 Hermes Rd
Malta NY 12020

Central Hudson Gas & Electric
Electric
284 South Ave
Poughkeepsie NY 12601

Hudson Valley Community College TEC-SMART Building
Electric
345 Hermes Rd
Malta NY 12020
Phone: 518-629-7075

Car Charging Group, Inc - Icon Parking
Electric
350 W 50th St
New York NY 10019

Beam Charging - Sylvan Pinnacle Garage
Electric
112-01 Queens Blvd
Forest Hills NY 11375
Phone: 718-520-1403 888-758-4389

Edison ParkFast #168
Electric
113 10th Ave
New York NY 10011
Phone: 888-727-5327 888-758-4389

Beam Charging - Duford Studios
Electric
127 E 83rd St
New York NY 10028
Phone: 212-535-2890 888-758-4389

Last edited:
This is from Tesla DC charging network

OK, my research is actually finding more places than last time. *But most of them are only open seasonally*.

The one I was thinking of is Green Lakes State Park, in Fayetteville. It has a number of 50 amp camping spots. Two state parks in the Finger Lakes area also have some 50 amp service: Filmore Glen (in Moravia) and Watkins Glen. *But they all have May-October seasons*, so you'd better not be planning to travel during the fall, winter, or spring.

There's also A KOA further north with 50 amp service. 1000 Islands / Association Island | Camping in New York | KOA Campgrounds
Again, May-October.

This realization caused me to try a different filter on my searches. "Year round" :wink:

Frost Ridge Campground in Le Roy appears to be year-round and have 50 amp service, but it's west of Rochester.

I haven't found anything else good for November-April yet.

(Perhaps this should be moved to a more suitable thread?)

Rochester isn't useful, unfortunately, due to its location.

Watkins Glen... might be fun to visit the track!

Doug first I'd like to thank you for organizing this info. I travel this area several times a year so this is very useful.

Can you provide more information on 70A charging in Thetford VT, Putney, VT, and New Haven, CT? Are these private locations?

Thetford VT is private but available for public use, outdoors with a Roadster plug, 4 mi off I-91 on a main road. More info will be posted shortly on Open Charge Map database.

Putney is private Roadster owner and while he has not made his HPC public per se, he has invited other Roadster owners to use it. PM me if you think it would be useful for your trip and I will contact him.

New Haven CT has a well-known HPC in the basement of the Omni Hotel half a block from Yale campus. Great location for places to eat, shopping, cultural events at Yale, etc. Great for traveling to/from NYC and Boston or other points north. They also have a juice bar (J-1772). Pay for parking, juice is free.

Last edited:
My personal interest in this: I have a trip coming up, where I am going to drive from Ottawa, ON to Suffern, NY in late April. I'd like to take my Roadster.

I have a friend in Binghamton who has offered to put a NEMA 14-50 in his garage. If I can make it that far I can make it to Suffern. Assuming I can get 110V at the hotel I will be able to return there a few days later.

There appears to be a hotel in Albany with an EV charger. So if I can get to either Albany or Binghamton I can get to Suffern.

Of course, f there's a faster way I'm all ears!

It might be possible to get to Utica, NY, but I'd have to stop somewhere before that for charging. In the summer I could go to the Ganonoque KOA, but they don't open until May 4, a couple of weeks after my trip.

Finding something half way between Ottawa and Albany would make that a perfect trip. Tesla held 3 events in VT last year, all at small inns with a restaurant. Two of them they plugged into a NEMA 14-50 in the restaurant kitchen. The third one had some kind of outdoor equipment with a 240V outlet that they used at 40A. With enough work I'm sure you could find something along that stretch.

Downtown Albany Holiday Inn is a nice hotel and the J-1772 port is right outside the front door - couldn't be more convenient! The staff are friendly to EV owners and they like it when you call ahead to reserve the port.

You should check for " realness ", but from the alternative fuel website :

For Vermont :

Central Vermont Public Service Corporation
Electric
2154 Post Rd
Rutland VT 05701
I've tried to use this multiple times but they won't let me (or anyone else). Pisses me off. They got a grant to help pay for it, too. Their excuse is that the VT Public Service Board will not let them sell the power because it can't be regulated because it's entirely off the grid. But in their monthly newsletter that comes with my bill they wasted no time touting their concern for the environment including their "green" investments like all the EV charge ports they were (supposedly) going to install last year (they didn't). They have another charging station in Rutland that they won't let you use either because it's private - only for their own vehicles. But they love to brag about it.

Healthy Living Market and Caf?
Electric
222 Dorset St
South Burlington VT 05403
Phone: 888-758-4389 802-863-2569
This is new and haven't used it but sounds good! I'll check it out as soon as I can and report back.

Saint Michael's College
Electric
30 College Pkwy
Colchester VT 05446

St Michael's claims it isn't really public but I've never heard of them stopping anybody from using it. Not very close to downtown Burlington.

If you decide to go the "long" way, by going down thru Vermont, since there seems to be more charging stations on that side than upstate NY, you could stop for the night in Montreal.

You best bet today, in Montreal, is the Sheraton hotel downtown :

Le Centre Sheraton
by Coulomb Technologies
Address
1201 Boulevard René-Lévesque
Montréal, Québec
Phone
(888) 758-4389
About
For public use, open 24/7.
Charger Types

EV Plug (240v J1772)
Station offline.
Standard Outlet (120v)

P.S. In a year from now, I could have left my Model S outside and offered you my garage, but not yet there... :)

Last edited:
If you decide to go the "long" way, by going down thru Vermont, since there seems to be more charging stations on that side than upstate NY, you could stop for the night in Montreal.

Montreal is only a two hour drive from here; if I'm going to stay overnight somewhere I'd rather do another hop first. Do you know what the deal is at the Sheraton? Do I have to stay there to access the charger?

New Haven is full of EVSE options. In addition to the aforementioned Omni hotel, there is an EVSE at Union Station, and chargers in the city parking garages at 155 Temple St. and 260 Crown St.

Thanks for the info. I've pondered whether to add Connecticut and Massachusetts into the list, but they've got higher population densities and it's a bit easier to find charge points there. What I'm trying to do is establish some EV travel routes through the very lightly populated areas south of the Canadian border. The target audience is people in upstate NY / VT and ON / QC.

Try looking at PlugShare - Electric Vehicle Charging Network. that is the best online app I have found to locate charging stations. There seems to be many options in upstate NY, Vermont and Canada

I can't actually get this working. Not without signing up, which I won't. There's just a blank grey space in the middle of the screen.

EDIT: Got it working. It requires allowing Facebook Connect to track your Internet activity, which I don't think is appropriate. Anyway, it does seem to think that there are public J1772s in Syracuse -- mostly by Blink, but also at Burdick Nissan -- and at the Maguire Nissan dealer in Ithaca. I don't know whether any of them are for real; you'd probably have to call and check. If I make it to Syracuse any time soon (which is kind of unlikely) I may go around and check all of them.

Last edited:
With plug-share for one to get the full benefit, at least on the Android app you need location services set up as it shows all charging opportunites near you.

After being burned by two other charging lists that had phantom chargers that could not found on a long trip, I have been pleased with the accuracy of Plug Share at least for Tennessee.

Last edited:
should check if the EVSEs at the AMT station at Ste Dorothee in Laval are open to others that are not in their pilot program. There is a volt that is parked and plugged in there most days of the week but there are two charge stations available ...