Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TPMS frequency, baud rate, other technical information?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone know the parts, frequencies, baud rate, or communications standards for the TPMS in the Roadster?

About the extent of what I have figured out is that each wheel sensor has a 32-bit ID that is memorized by the vehicle after a service tech uses the CAN bus tool to inject a new set of four.

I found some Application Notes at Microchip that help explain the general concepts, but they're not necessarily compatible with the Roadster.

Thanks, Mark. Has anyone logged the messages sent by the TPMS tool to the Roadster via CAN? I assume that the process used to scan the messages learned so far could be used to decode the TPMS tool, unless they cannot both be connected at the same time, in which case I think someone needs to design a CAN sniffer with pass-through connections.

Edit: In other words, if we could duplicate the message(s) sent by the TPMS tool that teach the Roadster about a new set of wheels, then we could just have any of the existing CAN circuits generate those same message(s).

Not that I know of. The can bus is trivial to T, but it might be hard to do it without the ranger noticing ;-)
Yes, but considering that they don't charge for this, then I assume they won't object to a savvy owner making themselves independent. Worst case, the owner has to come in and have them teach the Roadster about the wheels again using the official tool. ... well, worst case assuming that the CAN injector doesn't screw things up totally, but if you've already connected something to your Roadster then these TPMS messages should not represent any increase in risk. Blah, blah; IANAL, YMMV. et cetera

Yes, but considering that they don't charge for this, then I assume they won't object to a savvy owner making themselves independent. Worst case, the owner has to come in and have them teach the Roadster about the wheels again using the official tool. ... well, worst case assuming that the CAN injector doesn't screw things up totally, but if you've already connected something to your Roadster then these TPMS messages should not represent any increase in risk. Blah, blah; IANAL, YMMV. et cetera

The Ranger WILL notice and WILL unplug it. (to avoid liability)

The TPMS sensors are different between the 1.5 and 2.0+, the 1.5 cars apparently use off the shelf TPMS while the 2.0+ cars use some custom sensors that require the special tool to interface with the roadster. When I have my tires changed next wek I'll look and see who makes the sensors that are in the 1.5 cars.

For the 1.5, Tesla used this system:
bf1systems

So the sensors are different from 1.5 to 2.x?
Did anyone try to use 2.x sensors on the 1.5?

From personal experience, I can tell you that the 1.5 and 2.0 TPMS systems are incompatible. I bought some 2.0 rims for my 1.5 and the TPMS from the 2.0 rims do not work in my 1.5. Now I need to buy some 1.5 TPMS for those rims. Where can I or my tire shop order the bf1systems sensors? Do they need any special programing?

The local Tesla Service center tells me they can put the the 1.5 TPMS in my rims for $100 each, installed; maybe, that is the easiest.

Also, note that the 2.0 uses 195/45R16 and the 1.5 uses 195/50R16 snow tires. Regen does not work on the 1.5 with the 195/45R16 snow tires on the front because of the difference in expected diameters. Apparently, the Roadster will not engage regen during the perceived skid.

==================

Bad memory... The quote for the sensors was $550 for all 4, $137.50 each, installed.

Last edited: