Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Main Fuse

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't think there is a single main fuse - more like dozens of individual fuses for different systems. There are certainly several major fuses inside the PEM and ESS housings. The ESS fuses are only reachable by removing and opening the entire ESS (I learned this the hard way).

There is a service isolation for the ESS at the rear left side of the car.

I don't think there is a single main fuse - more like dozens of individual fuses for different systems. There are certainly several major fuses inside the PEM and ESS housings. The ESS fuses are only reachable by removing and opening the entire ESS (I learned this the hard way).

There is a service isolation for the ESS at the rear left side of the car.

Interesting thanks for the information....

Reason I am asking is because in another thread a poster claimed to have removed the "main line" fuse as "directed by Tesla"

Damaged #1207

Additional Pictures: Unit is quoted as repairable by the insurance company but was totaled out due to the parts available time line from Tesla
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.323339501039163.81241.171088169597631&type=1

Unit is up for auction on Jan 31st http://www.ranchoautoauction.com/ and has had the main line fuse removed (as directed by Tesla Motors) to preserve the battery. Unit is open available for detailed inspection prior to the auction - just call them 916-321-8886 to schedule an appointment

I was just wondering if this was bogus or true

I think he took out the "main shutter plug" It is on the left side of the battery pack and can be taken out to disconnect the power from the battery pack.

Attachments

• IMG_0376.jpg
    IMG_0376.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 424
  • IMG_0377.jpg
    IMG_0377.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 412
They told me to take it out to disconnect the pack. Think it is more or less the control power from the pack and that pack has it own relay that shuts off inside.

That seems pretty small to carry all of the current from the pack!

The ESS has a set of large relays. You can hear them engage when you open the car.

I believe the "main shutter plug" just controls power to those relays. Without the relays open, no power leaves the pack.

P.S. Tesla don't call them 'relays' but have some fancy name for them. Something like 'contracters'.

"Contactors" would make more sense.

Yep:

Roadster Technology - Power Control | Tesla Motors

The charge and drive modes are configured using a set of four large relays known as contactors. The contactors allow the semiconductor switches to be used to connect the battery to either the charge port or the motor. When the Roadster is turned on, a series of clicking sounds can be heard as the contactors close the connection to the motor.

Reason I am asking is because in another thread a poster claimed to have removed the "main line" fuse as "directed by Tesla"

I was just wondering if this was bogus or true
Perhaps the account of the removal event itself was not bogus, but I would say that removing any such main fuse or relay control is NOT going to "preserve the battery." The only way to preserve the battery is to leave the Roadster plugged in to power, ideally in Storage Mode for maximum preservation.

Perhaps the account of the removal event itself was not bogus, but I would say that removing any such main fuse or relay control is NOT going to "preserve the battery." The only way to preserve the battery is to leave the Roadster plugged in to power, ideally in Storage Mode for maximum preservation.

I suspect it will extend the life quite a bit if the car isn't plugged in. The car draws about 1% power a day to run the VDS etc. I expect pulling the plug will limit the drain to cell self-discharge, which could take a very long time.

I suspect it will extend the life quite a bit if the car isn't plugged in. The car draws about 1% power a day to run the VDS etc. I expect pulling the plug will limit the drain to cell self-discharge, which could take a very long time.

This is what I was told. The batteries in the workshop, not connected to a car, drain very slowly (although they do have a special maintenance rig to charge them outside the car, if necessary).

I think he took out the "main shutter plug" It is on the left side of the battery pack and can be taken out to disconnect the power from the battery pack.

These photos look like the high voltage disconnect used in most, if not all, high voltage batteries to make them safer to service. It would be in series with the cells, and indeed it looks like it is designed for peak currents in the hundreds of amps. It's average or contineous current rating would be much less, about 1/5 of the peak rating or less, thus tricking zack's trained eye, which is probably accustomed to circuits designed to carry 80% of peak current on a contineous basis.

Also, don't forget that the cells will still slowly self discharge, even when completely disconnected.

GSP