Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Walkthrough for state tax breaks/credits for Model S buyers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We all know about the 7,500 federal tax credit, but getting the information about what to do for state tax breaks/credits may be a little difficult. Personally I had to call 3 times in order to get the correct information (2 of the people said there was none for NJ)

For New Jersey

http://www.state.nj.us/treasury/taxation/pdf/other_forms/sales/st4.pdf

You have to cite the N.J.S.A. 54:32B-8.55 when filling out the forms

Please feel free to add for other states so we can build up a database for what to do

CO offers 2 incentives, an income tax credit and a sales tax exemption. The income tax credit is calculated as 75% of the price difference between the EV and a comparable ICE. The credit is refundable and is limited to $6,000. CO DOR has not announced which ICE car it considers comparable to the S so the amount of credit for the S is yet to be determined.

Tesla should handle the sales tax exemption certificate when they deliver the car as part of their paperwork. The onus is on them to collect and remit or prove that the sale is exempt (state rules vary but this should generally be true in all states if there is an exemption).

Washington

WA has a sales tax exemption for new, pure EVs. Not applicable to hybrids like the plug-in Prius or the Volt. Also not applicable to used EVs.

http://www.nissanusa.com/ev/media/pdf/incentives/nissan-leaf-incentive-54.pdf

According to the store manager, the entire invoice for the new car will be tax exempt. So that would include the HPC, winter tire set, etc. if they're included on the vehicle sales invoice.

Last edited:
Ontario

I trust you'll allow Provinces in this thread...

Ontario has an $8,500 rebate, which you apply for after buying the car. (The amount of the rebate actually depends on the size of the battery, but all Tesla vehicles have large enough batteries to get the maximum.)

I didn't think PA had anything, then I googled a bit and found this:

http://www.elibrary.dep.state.pa.us/dsweb/Get/Document-86100/7000-FM-PPEAO0217%20-%20Form.pdf

Still digging for more info, but it looks like they offer $500, $1,000 and $3,500 rebates (I'd assume the S would get the largest). I do believe their rebates for charger installs are gone though.

*edit* looks like for the first 500 only :frown:

DEP will offer a $3,500 rebates for Plug-In Hybrid Electric Vehicles (PHEV) (battery system capacity equal/greater than 10 kWh) and Battery Electric Vehicle (EV) (battery system capacity equal/greater than 10 kWh) to the first 500 qualified applicants. A $1000 rebate will be offered for any PHEV or EV (battery system capacity less than 10 kWh). Additionally, $1000 rebates are available for Natural Gas fueled vehicles (CNG), Propane fueled vehicles (LPG) and Hydrogen and Fuel Cell vehicles (FC). A $500 rebate will be offered for Electric motorcycles/scooters (EMC).

http://www.elibrary.dep.state.pa.us/dsweb/Get/Document-86101/7000-FM-PPEAO0217%20-%20Instructons.pdf

here's the program's URL: Alternative Fuels Incentive Grant

Last edited:
On 08/30/2011 Governor Schwarzenegger signed SB 535 which expands the Hybrid HOV program to allow for another 40,000 decals for electric cars, hydrogen fuel cell vehicles, and plug-in hybrids. This program will begin in 01/01/2012 and expires on 01/01/2015.

Zero Emission Vehicles (ZEVs):
ZEVs are vehicles driven only by an electric motor that are powered by advanced technology batteries or a hydrogen fuel cell. They have no tailpipe emissions over their entire lifetime. The CA Clean Vehicle Rebate Project makes incentives available to a broad range of ZEVs, including light-duty cars and trucks, low-speed neighborhood electric vehicles (NEVs), and zero-emission motorcycles (ZEMs). Light-duty car and truck ZEVs, because they are cleaner than Enhanced AT PZEVs, are eligible for up to a $2,500 incentive while ZEMs and NEVs are eligible for up to $900.

Eligible Vehicles - Single Occupant Carpool Lane Use Stickers

California

Tesla's website offers a good resource for this already for all states:

Incentives for Purchasing an Electric Vehicle in California, United States | Tesla Motors

At the state level, California's CVRP (Clean Vehicle Rebate Project) offers $2,500 as a rebate till June 30, 2012 or till funds are exhausted.

And, yes, HOV lane access (which does go a long way in the SF Bay Area and LA hotspots) till 2015.

Tesla's incentives page lists several local incentives (free parking, reduced charging rates from utilities, etc.)

Hopefully Tesla's new lobyist can help in each of the states to provide improved incentives. Rather than a rebate, I believe that a sales tax discount or exemption would be easier for the politicians to swallow. My point is that the lobyist should be advocating for the owners as well as for Tesla!

Last edited:
Washington

WA has a sales tax exemption for new, pure EVs. Not applicable to hybrids like the plug-in Prius or the Volt. Also not applicable to used EVs.

http://www.nissanusa.com/ev/media/pdf/incentives/nissan-leaf-incentive-54.pdf

According to the store manager, the entire invoice for the new car will be tax exempt. So that would include the HPC, winter tire set, etc. if they're included on the vehicle sales invoice.

State Federal Incentives | Plug In America

From the chart...
Any idea what "Infrastructure Incentives" refers to?

From Federal Incentive section...
The EV infrastructure tax credit was extended for one year until 12/31/11 at prestimulus levels. This means that the tax credit on an EV charge station is 30% up to $1000 for consumers
Bummer that this expired last month.

Last edited:
Too bad San Francisco is too far

And, yes, HOV lane access (which does go a long way in the SF Bay Area and LA hotspots) till 2015.

Even though carpool lane access would be excellent, San Francisco is too far a drive from where I live in Los Angeles (360 miles) to get there in one trip unless someone invents solar panels for my roof that continuously charge my Model S 85kWh Performance. I hope all these incentives being offered by the CA legislature encourage cities along the way to install supercharging stations at convenient intervals.

Last edited:
Few, if any of these, seem to really get it right as far as I can tell for Oregon, except Tesla's link. Oregon has a $1500 credit. The theelectriccar.com site shows $5k and I have no idea where that came from. The OR credits haven't changed in a while, except for discontinuing the credit for hybrids.

What I really would like on this forum is to have the forms and hoops that you have to jump through in order to get the rebate/tax break and also to make Tesla aware of them. I know in my NJ, the division of taxation/DMV was less than helpful in finding the information (3 calls- 1.5 hours).
I don't want someone to "pay" the tax or not get a rebate because form XYZ was not filled out correctly or some person when you went to register it said you are not eligible because they aren't aware of the law or statute in place.

Sorry brainman, I skimmed for links but went too fast.

"Infrastructure Incentives" are anything related to charging stations (and it is pretty much "anything related"; I didn't pay sales tax on my RFMC or my J adapter); details are usually noted in the state notes below the chart. As you noted, it's a sales tax exemption in WA. HI has a rebate.