Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fear the self-driving living room: When will in-car tech go too far?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Larry Chanin

President, Florida Tesla Enthusiasts
Aug 22, 2011
Sarasota, Florida
Fear the self-driving living room: When will in-car tech go too far?

This tech pundit has his doubts.

Fear-the-self-driving-living-room-When-will-in-car-tech-go-too-far.jpg

Car manufacturers may be rushing to pile cars with gadgets and automation to ease commutes, but when does too much isolation from driving become dangerous?

One of the most striking bits of automotive technology showcased at CES 2012 was the 17-inch Nvidia-backed screen in the new Tesla S Sedan. It reminded me more of a tablet than a car entertainment system, and Tesla has been the first to really get aggressive on things like apps for automobiles.

Larry

He goes on:

Still, what is interesting about these cars, other than their deadly nature, is that they aren’t designed to be driven. They are designed to showcase a lot of technology, and as a result, all of the controls have been removed along with other useless parts like the engine and transmission. Outside a convention, they’re lifeless chunks of steel. But as we move toward self-driving cars powered by electricity, the need for big engines and manual controls will evaporate, so many of these ridiculous showcase projects might actually become visions of the future.

It isn't clear to me whether he's still referring to the Model S, but if so clearly his knowledge is confined to consumer electronics and not automotive developments if he thinks a Model S is merely a showcase project.

Larry

Interesting but I had a whole conversation with the guy in the Park Meadows store about accessing the web while driving. He said web access will be turned off while driving unless a passenger is in the car. He said there will be sensors in the passenger seat.

Interesting but I had a whole conversation with the guy in the Park Meadows store about accessing the web while driving. He said web access will be turned off while driving unless a passenger is in the car. He said there will be sensors in the passenger seat.

There have been many conflicting stories on this (from within Tesla even), so I'm just going to wait to see what they do. Distractions will happen regardless (kids, phone, makeup!). I agree we shouldn't add more, but no one has even driven the car yet to see what will or won't be a distraction. I've even heard some say the animated cover art transitions will be a distraction. *shrug*

This stuff gets really goofy really fast. In my G37, if you want to dial your cell phone through the touchscreen, you have to stop moving (regardless of whether there's a passenger). It won't let you access the handset phonebook while moving either. Strangely enough, it will allow you to access the separate "vehicle phonebook" if you're moving.

Does that make ANY sense?

While I think that it's admirable to let us (drivers) decide what is safe and not (I never program the GPS while moving, for example, but I'm glad the my car does not prevent it)... the law in California is pretty clear:

http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/displaycode?section=veh&group=27001-28000&file=27600-27607

If you read the regulation, you might be able to argue that a web browser is "none of the above"

.. but: I think there will be some interlock to prevent web browser viewing (at least) from working while the car is in motion.

/Mitch.

A hostile attacker compromising a fleet of cars could create a rather impressive amount of damage. Think of a line of cars suddenly turning right and accelerating off the side of a bridge.

Or better yet, think rationally and realize that the entertainment system is completely seperate from the traction system and no such thing can happen. Journalists nowadays spend way too much time writing and blogging and too little doing any sort of research on subject matter.

Average Weight for a Woman Statistics
the average weight for an adult female in the United States is: 162.9 pounds

Pet Supplies and More. L/M Animal Farms Premium Corn Cob Bedding 25 lbs.
386146.jpg

For $80, perma-passenger.

"Average" can't be the limit, my wife weighs much less than 162.9lbs (but she'd still kill me if I put the real number here!) and we have a couple of friends who weigh in under 100lbs. They can't discriminate against slim/small people.
Right, it would have to be less than that. Heck they probably have to recognize a child as well. So 1 or 2 (25 pound) bags might be enough.

Both Elon and Camille Ricketts (Communications Manager--the primary media communications face for the company) have mentioned that the screen will not be restricted while driving...for what it's worth.

I feel Tesla might be playing with fire here atleast in states like CA where the CHP wouldn't take kindly to a solo driver on the freeway with a bright glowing screen (playing the latest YouTube viral hit) next to him/her. Heck, even as a would-be Model S driver, I'd prefer to have certain things locked down when the car's moving - I don't want to be at the wrong end of a collision with a fellow Model S driver too distracted by something s/he was doing on the touchscreen.

"Average" can't be the limit, my wife weighs much less than 162.9lbs (but she'd still kill me if I put the real number here!) and we have a couple of friends who weigh in under 100lbs. They can't discriminate against slim/small people.

Absolutely. *I* am on the light side, and I would be furious if the passenger seat claimed I wasn't there.