Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any non-signature, early reservation holders waiting till 2013 for 'Muir Red'?!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

gg_got_a_tesla

Model S: VIN 65513, Model 3: VIN 1913
Jan 29, 2010
Redwood Shores, CA
Sorry, yet another color-related thread. I'm a non-sig reservation holder with a low-enough res number (P 1,620) that I should be getting my Model S by October 2012 or thereabouts. I'm going for the 60 kWh pack so, that should not cause a delay (as opposed to 40 kWh packs that are to be delivered next winter, i.e. effectively spilling over into 2013 anyway).

So... I had voted 'Sequoia Green' in all the color polls thus far but, am now contemplating waiting for "Muir Red" which - according to the Tesla options page - will push me to sometime in 2013. A big factor here is my 5-year-old son who just adores (the gas-guzzling) "Lightning McQueen" :biggrin:

I'm not really desperate to get the car by this fall so, it'd not be too bad to wait depending on how deep into 2013 'Muir Red' might dump me.

Any other non-sig early res holders in the same boat?! Thoughts?! Opinions?!

And, oh, my wife still hasn't forgiven me for picking a 'Hot Chocolate' '08 Mini Clubman as a surprise gift for her 30th b'day; she had always wanted a Mini (that I knew) but wanted it in blue/red/yellow apparently (that I didn't know!) :redface:

So, want to do it right by my son!

I'm just a few dozen spots ahead of you. I thought about it...for about 4 seconds. Then my senses came back to me ;).

I'd say get the color *you* want. When your son feels the acceleration, it'll feel like Lightning McQueen to him. That way, he (and you) won't have to wait several months longer for a ride!

Yup, waiting for 2013 and Muir Red. Will cost me a few weeks at most, since general production EU will not be introduced in 2012 (according to a sales rep). I agree with my wife: Driving such an exceptional car calls for a color that stands out.

Thanks, all, for the input!

I'd say get the color *you* want. When your son feels the acceleration, it'll feel like Lightning McQueen to him. That way, he (and you) won't have to wait several months longer for a ride!

That's the thing; in an ideal world, the color *I* want is the Sig Red but, I cannot afford the Sig. The Green (or Blue) was always going to be a compromise; wouldn't go anywhere near White (Pearl or otherwise), Black, Silver or Grey - all of them are 'dishwater bland' to me. Have a Brown car already like I said, so, all of this leaves the 2013 Red :frown:

Yup, waiting for 2013 and Muir Red. Will cost me a few weeks at most, since general production EU will not be introduced in 2012 (according to a sales rep). I agree with my wife: Driving such an exceptional car calls for a color that stands out.

Yeah, that's my line of thinking too now. After all, the Model S is sort of going to be the Ferrari of premium EVs and Red will go well with it! There's a reason most of the Sig folks are going for that shade of Red! :smile:

Okay, will ping Tesla about how deep in 2013 the choice of Red might put me...

I say you should wait... mostly because then there would be one person less in the line ahead of me. :tongue:
+1 :biggrin: I'm at 2840 and I'd love to get mine before Fall officially sets in (late Sept), but it doesn't feel likely. Tesla would have to start early and a lot of folks in front of me would have to defer their purchase.

+1 :biggrin: I'm at 2840 and I'd love to get mine before Fall officially sets in (late Sept), but it doesn't feel likely. Tesla would have to start early and a lot of folks in front of me would have to defer their purchase.

Well, I'm ahead (P1649) and I may have to defer mine depending on the stock market in the next 6 months. But, I'm making no promises.

Maybe...

I'm #P5058, and I'm really hoping that the Muir Red would be available by the time that I need to decide on a final color. If not, then I guess that it will depend on how much longer will I have to wait to get it in that color. If we're talking 6 months, I'll pass on the color & order immediately. If we're talking 2 months, probably will tell TMC to hold mine for the color option.:smile:

I'm #P5058, and I'm really hoping that the Muir Red would be available by the time that I need to decide on a final color. If not, then I guess that it will depend on how much longer will I have to wait to get it in that color. If we're talking 6 months, I'll pass on the color & order immediately. If we're talking 2 months, probably will tell TMC to hold mine for the color option.:smile:

My situation is similar to yours (P-4776), but I would only wait a few weeks, not a few months to get Muir Red.

Earlier on Tesla management made statements that they plan to produce 5500 to 6000 cars in 2012, but lately they've been talking about 5000. So if it turns out to be only 5000 then our decision may already be made for us. That is, we may not get delivery in 2012 even if we order the 85 kWh battery. I figure that we need to add 1200 (1000 U.S. and 200 Canadian Signatures) to our reservation numbers to get an idea of how many reservations are ahead of us. So that means that 6258 reservations are in front of you and 5976 are in front of me. If reservations were filled in strict reservation order we would definately be seeing delivery in 2013 if total 2012 production is only 5000. However, based on a recent forum survey 55% of non-signature reservations will be 85 kWh batteries and they will be delivered before the smaller battery packs. So that means if we were to order 85 kWh batteries roughly 4000 85 kWh and signature reservations would be ahead of us, and in a best case situation we just might see delivery around November.

These are borderline situations with lots of variables. I figure we have a 50-50 chance of getting delivery in 2012. By the time November - December rolls around, its also quite possible that the paint shop will have had enough time to add Muir Red to their option list and then for us the issue of whether to delay will be moot.

However, if I were to receive delivery in November and Muir Red still wasn't available until sometime in 2012 I would not wait, I would select another color.

Larry

Pinged a Tesla rep who had nothing more to add about when in 2013 Muir Red will become available but, she did confirm that if I were to choose to wait for it, that'll count as a one-time deferral (still not sure how that'd work and where that'll put me in the reservation order). She did say that I should be getting my car by Oct-Nov if I choose some other color and stay with P1620.

Decisions, decisions... Maybe, Green (or Blue), it'd have to be :frown:

Good luck with the timing vis-a-vis Muir Red, Larry and mklcolvin!

Agreed. I'd also figure that there would be some drop-outs occur (folks changing their minds, finances won't work, etc.). That should get things a little closer. Of course, how large of a number this would be is beyond me!

My situation is similar to yours (P-4776), but I would only wait a few weeks, not a few months to get Muir Red.

Earlier on Tesla management made statements that they plan to produce 5500 to 6000 cars in 2012, but lately they've been talking about 5000. So if it turns out to be only 5000 then our decision may already be made for us. That is, we may not get delivery in 2012 even if we order the 85 kWh battery. I figure that we need to add 1200 (1000 U.S. and 200 Canadian Signatures) to our reservation numbers to get an idea of how many reservations are ahead of us. So that means that 6258 reservations are in front of you and 5976 are in front of me. If reservations were filled in strict reservation order we would definately be seeing delivery in 2013 if total 2012 production is only 5000. However, based on a recent forum survey 55% of non-signature reservations will be 85 kWh batteries and they will be delivered before the smaller battery packs. So that means if we were to order 85 kWh batteries roughly 4000 85 kWh and signature reservations would be ahead of us, and in a best case situation we just might see delivery around November.

These are borderline situations with lots of variables. I figure we have a 50-50 chance of getting delivery in 2012. By the time November - December rolls around, its also quite possible that the paint shop will have had enough time to add Muir Red to their option list and then for us the issue of whether to delay will be moot.

However, if I were to receive delivery in November and Muir Red still wasn't available until sometime in 2012 I would not wait, I would select another color.

Larry

Agreed. I'd also figure that there would be some drop-outs occur (folks changing their minds, finances won't work, etc.). That should get things a little closer. Of course, how large of a number this would be is beyond me!

One indication of the magnitude of the drop-out rate can be inferred from this poll.

Pricing/Option Aftermath: Still buying?

For those respondents that had made up their mind, 5% planned to cancel their reservation following the pricing and options announcement.

Larry

Last edited:
One indication of the magnitude of the drop-out rate can be inferred from this poll.

Pricing/Option Aftermath: Still buying?

For those respondents that had made up their mind, 5% planned to cancel their reservation following the pricing and options announcement.

Larry

like EVNOW says, it's a skewed result, but the number of people planning to cancel was actually 3.9% (6 out of 154 voters)

like EVNOW says, it's a skewed result, but the number of people planning to cancel was actually 3.9% (6 out of 154 voters)

Hi,

Agreed, these are skewed results, but I was making a reference to the magnitude of cancelations. My 5% reference is the percentage you get when you remove the number of respondents (36) who were not sure and did not make a choice.

Larry