Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Active Air Suspension: Reliability?!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

gg_got_a_tesla

Model S: VIN 65513, Model 3: VIN 1913
Jan 29, 2010
Redwood Shores, CA
As per (the-soon-to-go-dark-for-a-day) Wikipedia, Air Suspension systems have some reliability concerns (typically caused by moisture or road debris):

Common air suspension problems

Air bag or air strut failure is usually caused by wet rot, due to old age, or moisture within the air system that damages it from the inside. Air ride suspension parts may fail because rubber dries out. Punctures to the air bag may be caused from debris on the road. With custom applications, improper installation may cause the air bags to rub against the vehicle's frame or other surrounding parts, damaging it. The over-extension of an airspring which is not sufficiently constrained by other suspension components, such as a shock absorber, may also lead to the premature failure of an airspring through the tearing of the flexible layers. Failure of an airspring may also result in complete immobilization of the vehicle, since the vehicle will rub against the ground or be too high to move.

Air line failure is a failure of the tubing which connects the air bags or struts to the rest of the air system, and is typically DOT-approved nylon air brake line. This usually occurs when the air lines, which must be routed to the air bags through the chassis of the vehicle, rub against a sharp edge of a chassis member or a moving suspension component, causing a hole to form. This mode of failure will typically take some time to occur after the initial installation of the system, as the integrity of a section of air line is compromised to the point of failure due to the rubbing and resultant abrasion of the material. An air-line failure may also occur if a piece of road debris hits an air line and punctures or tears it.

Compressor failure is primarily due to leaking air springs or air struts. The compressor will burn out trying to maintain the correct air pressure in a leaking air system. Compressor burnout may also be caused by moisture from within the air system coming into contact with its electronic parts.

In Dryer failure the dryer, which functions to remove moisture from the air system, eventually becomes saturated and unable to perform that function. This causes moisture to build up in the system and can result in damaged air springs and/or a burned out compressor.

Does anyone have prior experience with air suspension systems and their reliability?! Are they any less reliable overall than traditional spring suspension systems? Is it worth staking $1,500 on?!

I'm investigating the same type of things. I don't want a super-reliable car with a much less reliable suspension. What I've found so far is that:

-Typically incorrect installation (not by OEMs) significantly degrades reliability (not an issue here).
-Air suspensions have increased reliability significantly in the last 10 years or so (no data to back that up...just based on opinions and what I've read on the net).
-They are more complex than regular suspensions (obviously), so by their very nature are less reliable. However, whether the difference is worth worrying about--I haven't confirmed yet.
-Replacement/repair costs are significantly higher with air suspensions...again, whether significant concern over this is warranted is still unconfirmed.
-System failure *can* render cars undriveable, although I'm not sure if that's the case with the Model S.

I have a Mercedes GL450 with air suspension. 5 years and 80,000 miles with no issues. Failure in the S would likely just render you unable to negotiate steep driveways and speedbumps until repaired.

My wife has the same car with about the same mileage and we actually had the suspension fail a few months back. When the car was on everything was fine but when we turned the car off the front end would sink almost immediately. The car was fully drivable and was fixed by MB quickly. It seems that this type of failure is so rare that they had mechanics from other dealers coming over to see it.

I've heard audi allroad's having problems like this...

Yes, a quick search revealed several threads on this on multiple forums. Hmm... given some of the other positive input, I guess air suspension could be a mixed bag then. In my opinion, it's seemingly not worth the upfront expense and long-term reliability risk for a smooth(er) ride, small increase in range and the very occasional need to clear steep driveways and such?!

It'd also probably be easier to get traditional spring suspensions repaired/replaced by regular auto service centers. The air suspension option may make more sense for a potential offroad vehicle (such as the X?!) rather than the S, it appears. Okay, am saving my $1,500 for the pano roof or the Nappa Leather then!

Thanks all for the input!

A friend bought a Land Rover with air suspension and it failed after 4 months. Since he bought the car used, albeit certified, it really sucked since the car came with 90 day/1000 mile warranty. $4000 in repairs. He drove the car for 3 more years with substantial repair costs, never drove it off road (he bought it to ride higher than everyone else) and dreaded every minute of it.

I don't want to be in that position. In order for me to buy into the air suspension it better keep the car flat in tight turns and have a better warranty than stock suspension (aka as long as the battery 8y/125M).

I could use a little education on this issue. I am not a performance driver. I am a speed limit driver. I have never had a sports car. Do I want this feature? The price is not the issue. The price versus choosing other options is also not an issue. Why would I want it and what does it do? Why would I not want it? Thanks in advance. I really appreciate everything I have learned here.

Realizing that might have come across as flippant, being less general might be helpful.

Latest News : Vehicle Dynamics International
In other news, following the success of the Jeep Grand Cherokee, a second Conti-equipped car will hit the streets Stateside at the end of 2011 in the form of the Tesla Model S, which will be the first EV with air suspension. As such, it’s not only the first time Continental has worked with an OEM in tech-savvy California, but a demanding application in efficiency terms.

2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee Images, Pricing and News (Overland, Limited, Laredo) | Conceptcarz.com
New Quadra Lift™ air suspension system provides height control and lifts vehicle up to 4.5 inches from park mode to a maximum ride height of 11.1 inches to deliver legendary Jeep off-road capability

Jeep Grand Cherokee WK2 - Quadra-Lift Air Suspension system
Quadra-Lift is a closed system so adjustments are much faster than other systems that must draw in or exhaust air for operation.

Quadra Lift - JeepForum.com
Jeep also copied the MB airmatic system which has proven to be pretty reliable

Apparently they talk about it a lot on these forums, but I didn't find the definitive post(s) they kept referring to that supposedly discussed the reliability of the Jeep implementation.
Suspension/Driveline/Brakes/Wheels/Tires - JeepGarage.Org - We Are Jeep!

Anyway, hope this helps.