Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New publicly sponsered charging network across Québec.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This was announce yesterday at the opening of Montreal auto show.

The network is actually sponsored by Hydro-Quebec, the nationalized electric company, which is the only entity allowed to sell electricity in Quebec.
So it had to come from them. Thankfully, they seem to have their eye on the ball for this one.

About 120 charging points in 2012, located at groceries, retails stores, train stations, etc. Mostly in cities for now, so not really for long distance travel.

Mostly 240V for now, with 400V chargers around the end of the year, when testing is completed. $2.50 a charge, for as long as you want!.

The news : Sorry for the google translation, i will update once they come out with the english cersion of the news.
Google Translate

The web site :
Electric Circuit

The locations:
http://media.hydroquebec.com/uploads/documents/Carte_emplacements_borne_de_recharge_Montreal_Fr.pdf
http://media.hydroquebec.com/uploads/documents/Carte_emplacements_borne_de_recharge_Quebec_Fr.pdf

-------------------------------------------
P.S. George B take note, failure to be compatible with real world solutions (ie 400V, chademo) will be a deal breaker... at least for me.
-------------------------------------------

I live 189 miles from Montreal with a 70A Roadster charger installed on the outside of my garage for public use. I'm 160 mi from Boston. So with this network in Canada you are then connected to Boston, New York City, Philly, Washington DC with 70A charging in the US. Doug how hard would it be to drive from Ottawa to Toronto?

I live 189 miles from Montreal with a 70A Roadster charger installed on the outside of my garage for public use. I'm 160 mi from Boston. So with this network in Canada you are then connected to Boston, New York City, Philly, Washington DC with 70A charging in the US. Doug how hard would it be to drive from Ottawa to Toronto?

It's quite feasible to drive Ottawa to Toronto - I've done it - but right now you have to charge at a KOA, and they're not open in the winter. But this situation may be about to change... can't say more yet.

On a related topic, I have a road trip coming up where I need to get from Ottawa to the southeast corner of NY state... I'd love to do the trip with my Roadster rather than ICE. Do you have any any tips on charging locations?

On a related topic, I have a road trip coming up where I need to get from Ottawa to the southeast corner of NY state... I'd love to do the trip with my Roadster rather than ICE. Do you have any any tips on charging locations?

It's slim pickins along the I-87 corridor in NY state. There's a 30A 208V charger at the Holiday Inn in downtown Albany NY that I've used. Unless you want to stay overnight somewhere, you're better off coming down I-91 where you will find 70A Roadster hubs in Thetford and Putney, VT, and New Haven, CT. From there it's a short drive to the southeast corner of NY state. Even using all the 70A hubs, it's still a long drive for one day. It would be long in an ICE vehicle.

I would probably come down 416 and cross at Ogdensburg, then through Utica NY to Albany and stay overnight at the Holiday Inn. Wake up and you're a short drive to your destination. You would only need to find a charging point about half way between Ottawa and Albany. Most of that route is at favorable Roadster speeds and close to state forests so there has to be a lot of campgrounds on that leg. A few phone calls to see if any are open in winter...

Let me know if you want to go thru Montreal - Burlington VT - I-91... I'll try to help.