Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S buyer--previous EV/Hybrid owner?

What's the highest evolution of vehicle propulsion you've had?

• Full EV (highway capable)

Votes: 39 22.8%
  • Hybrid (Prius, Volt, etc.)

Votes: 47 27.5%
  • Conventional only

Votes: 84 49.1%
  • Never owned a car

Votes: 1 0.6%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

efusco

Moderator - Model S & X forums
Curious how many of us are 'upgrading' from a hybrid to a full EV. If you've had a hybrid and now have or previously have had an EV, just say EV (ie. your highest 'evolution' in auto propulsion), likewise if you've ever owned a hybrid but now have a conventional, answer hybrid.

My first car was a Dodge Neon. 2000 pound 0-30 rocket. 30-30+ snail. 95 top speed death trap. My brother totaled it.
I have owned a VW Jetta TDI. Back before gas was more than $2 a gallon.
I now own a VW GTI. Because they didn't have any TDIs in stock, and the salesman got me to drive it. Whoops!

But lacking in this poll is Human Powered Vehicle. I used a bicycle as primary transport (with some MARTA in Atlanta) for 3 years. Commuting 12 miles one way during 1 year.

I personally see Hybrids as awful compromises between an EV (I have always wanted a AC Induction powered vehicle) and a regular car. The original Insight I liked, and the Volt concept of EV with generator (it needs more battery capacity, and no default GM bungling), but the Toyota model of 2 substantial drive systems seems a waste.

I wonder how the cargo volume compares between the Mariner and the Model S.

I have a Roadster, but my Model S will be replacing a Toyota Prius.
According to Edmunds.com
"Cargo volume stands at a useful 29 cubic feet with the rear seat in place and 66 cubic feet when that seat is folded down  not bad given the Mariner's relatively compact footprint."

It looks like the Model S has 36.8 cubic feet normally and over 66 cubic feet when the rear seats folded down.

Last edited:
Replacing a 2010 Toyota Corolla that was a beater car for a year or two and will use it to haul garden stuff and get dinged up in the city/train station/shopping centers.
I have no respect for internal combustion engine cars. 100 years, 600 and some odd moving parts that are meant to break/wear out/need replacement and keep the dealerships busy.

I wonder the same. We don't have kids, so we keep the seats down. We do load up a great deal on those 3X a year treks to Costco. We also take a couple of long 700 mile plus road trips. As mentioned earlier, my wife does not have the patience to deal with charging on a road trip. She' s pretty high strung. So, we will keep a regular vehicle.

My first car was a Dodge Neon. 2000 pound 0-30 rocket. 30-30+ snail. 95 top speed death trap. My brother totaled it.
I have owned a VW Jetta TDI. Back before gas was more than $2 a gallon.
I now own a VW GTI. Because they didn't have any TDIs in stock, and the salesman got me to drive it. Whoops!

But lacking in this poll is Human Powered Vehicle. I used a bicycle as primary transport (with some MARTA in Atlanta) for 3 years. Commuting 12 miles one way during 1 year.

I personally see Hybrids as awful compromises between an EV (I have always wanted a AC Induction powered vehicle) and a regular car. The original Insight I liked, and the Volt concept of EV with generator (it needs more battery capacity, and no default GM bungling), but the Toyota model of 2 substantial drive systems seems a waste.

It may "seem" like a waste - but it's the largest car available that consistently gets 45-50MPG. The system is optimized so that the electric and gas torque curves complement each other. This allows the use of a low-torque/high-mileage Atkinson cycle on the engine. That's what provides the big efficiency win.

Despite the fact that the sample of this forum has an obscenely high proportion of prior EV owners compared to the general population, the high percentage of "Conventional Only" answers (currently at 50%) is extremely promising. So half of the people on this forum (approximately) are getting interventions and changing their drug of choice from gas to electrons. That's a very good thing.

I've been owner to 17 cars over 22 years (wow, that's some pretty ugly statistics). No EVs or hybrids.

All bought used, some very used. Only 2 from dealers, the rest from individuals.

The most expensive one was $17k. The second most expensive about half that. Believe me, I'm still having trouble reconciling the prospect of buying an $80k car...