Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Options & Pricing page updated (2012/01/12)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

brianman

Burrito Founder
Nov 10, 2011
Model S Options and Pricing | Tesla Motors
Props to Lyle on the official forum for pointing out that the page had changed, forcing OCD people like me to find the changes.

Based on comparison with the cached version @ Google from January 11th, 10:51PM GMT.

Changes in the Options page:
- text is now "live" (and in a different font as a result)
- column 2: "$79,900" changed to "$84,900"
- column 2: "Plus Additional Standard Equipment" changed to "Includes upgraded interior, suspension, and wheels"
- column 2: "Additional Standard Equipment\n$5,000" changed to "Included Upgrades"
- box next to Pearl White is darker
- Interiors, Nappa Leather, column 1: "Hand wrapped" changed to "Hand-wrapped"
- Updated: Interiors, Nappa Leather, column 1: "soft, supple" changed to "soft supple"
- Tech Package: reordered
- Tech Package: 16GB hard drive bullet removed
- Sound Studio Package: ". Features a 16GB hard drive to keep" changed to ", and storage space for"
- Sound Studio Package: "at your fingertips" removed

Will make some people happy.
Will make some people sad.
Clarification.

Edit (2012/01/13):
Changes since my original post.

- Reverted: Starting Price, column 1, 85 kWh: "$69,900" changed to "$69,000" [ED: typo]
- Reverted: Highlights, columns 2 & 4: "Décor" now capitalized
- Reverted: Interiors, Microfiber: "synthetic leather" changed to "leather-like"
- Reverted: Interiors, Microfiber: "hand wrapped" changed to "hand-wrapped"
- Reverted: Interiors, Nappa Leather, column 1: "soft, supple" changed to "full-grain"
- Reverted: Interiors, Nappa Leather, column 1: "soft, supple" changed to "supple"
- Reverted: Interiors, Nappa Leather, column 2: "contrast" changed to "contrasting"
- Reverted: Interiors, Nappa Leather, column 3: "adjustable" changed to "adustable" [ED: typo]
- Reverted: Interiors, Nappa Leather, columns 2 and 4, Decor Accents: Piano Black, Banana Leaf, and Lacewood added
- Reverted: High Power Wall Connector: "complement" changed to "compliment" [ED: typo]
- Reverted: High Power Wall Connector: price raised from $1,200 to $1,500

Last edited:
Changes in the Options page:
- text is now "live" (and in a different font as a result)
- column 2: "$79,900" changed to "$84,900"
- column 2: "Additional Standard Equipment\n$5,000" changed to "Included Upgrades"
Very good choice.
- Interiors, Nappa Leather, columns 2 and 4, Decor Accents: Piano Black, Banana Leaf, and Lacewood added
Performance buyers are not forced to get carbon fiber interiors. OK, I guess they decided their production line could handle that. I'm sure some people will appreciate that.

- High Power Wall Connector: price raised from $1,200 to $1,500\
Well, so much for "these prices will be valid for current reservation holders"!

Now can they give Signature owners a discount for not buying the 21" wheels? You just proved you can change the prices.... :wink:

Maybe they are sticking to the $1,200 HPC charge for current reservation holders. Can always e-mail Tesla since they did say that. Overall, good change with the performance price, that was simply confusing and misleading before. Would be nice for them to stick with what they said in the e-mail.

Couple questions for the die-hards:

(1) Would you agree that the online Design Studio will be released on February 9th at the same time that the physical design studio is unveiled in LA?

(2) The online design studio has a section for both Packages and Options. We've seen the prices on options, does that make you believe we will see packages of options that are less expensive than the sum of their parts?

(1) Very likely that the Design Studio will be published on the 9th.
(2) Fairly unlikely that we'll see different packages than the ones already listed.

Remaining unknowns, perhaps even after Feb 9th, are destination/prep charges and a list of available accessories like roof rack and Winter wheel set.

I'm not buying an HPC, so that doesn't bother me. Though were I buying it, I probably would be bothered :)

I don't really understand who really gets value from an HPC. Are there really people that need 2x the charge speed? If you charge overnight, you certainly don't. You'd have to be someone that needs to charge quickly during the day, but not really quickly because even the HPC only gives back 60 miles/hour. That seems like a really odd sweet spot for charge times that'd require a very particular and peculiar set of charging needs.

I'm not buying an HPC, so that doesn't bother me. Though were I buying it, I probably would be bothered :)

I don't really understand who really gets value from an HPC. Are there really people that need 2x the charge speed? If you charge overnight, you certainly don't. You'd have to be someone that needs to charge quickly during the day, but not really quickly because even the HPC only gives back 60 miles/hour. That seems like a really odd sweet spot for charge times that'd require a very particular and peculiar set of charging needs.

I think a lot of the people buying the HPC are simply looking to have a second charger, so that the mobile charger can stay stowed away in the car all the time, and they can just pull into their garage and plug in. I could not imagine taking a model s out in the public charging station wasteland that is also known as Cincinnati without at least bringing along the means to pug into a 110 or 220 outlet if I get myself into trouble range wise. As a result, I will either need to buy a second mobile charger, or a HPC.

I think a lot of the people buying the HPC are simply looking to have a second charger, so that the mobile charger can stay stowed away in the car all the time, and they can just pull into their garage and plug in. I could not imagine taking a model s out in the public charging station wasteland that is also known as Cincinnati without at least bringing along the means to pug into a 110 or 220 outlet if I get myself into trouble range wise. As a result, I will either need to buy a second mobile charger, or a HPC.
Ah, that makes sense. If you're going to get a 2nd charger anyway then I can understand going for an HPC rather than a 2nd UMC. Of course, the HPC only really has value if you buy the 2nd on board charger, so that does bump the effective price.

I'm buying the HPC for several reasons:

1. I might want a faster charge in a pinch some time.
2. I can keep the universal connector in the car all the time for convenience and a second UMC would probably cost nearly as much as an HPC.
3. The cable from the HPC will be nicer to handle on a daily basis than the UMC would.
4. Aesthetically pleasing, it just looks nice.

Of course the additional cost for 100A wiring and the HPC make it very debatable and easy for most folks to skip in favor of a standard 50A outlet.

Damn, now that I have TSLA stock and I'm hoping it goes up enough for the Perf model, the more I'm really regretting (resenting? bemoaning?) the lack of credit for a tire downgrade. If Tesla gave me back the $3500 for going to 19" tires then I could damn near commit to getting the performance model as that cuts the price differential significantly (well, by $3500) from the base model I'd otherwise get. I'd even be ok if that shaves a touch off the 0-60 because of the smaller contact area 19" tires provide.

Hear that Tesla? Allow that downgrade credit and I'll give you more of my money!:biggrin:

Last edited:
(1) I don't see why the Feb. 9 Model X reveal or the opening of a physical design studio makes a webpage update more likely for that day. If anything, I think they'll be very busy on the 9th and not want the added distraction of putting up the full Design Studio.
(2) I'm guessing that "Packages" will have the battery pack and Performance, then Options gives the rest. I agree with Mycroft that it's unlikely that we'll see more or different groupings than we have in the P&O page, aside from the usual accessories (wheel locks, floor mats, etc.).

Damn, now that I have TSLA stock and I'm hoping it goes up enough for the Perf model, the more I'm really regretting (resenting? bemoaning?) the lack of credit for a tire downgrade. If Tesla gave me back the $3500 for going to 19" tires then I could damn near commit to getting the performance model as that cuts the price differential significantly (well, by $3500) from the base model I'd otherwise get. I'd even be ok if that shaves a touch off the 0-60 because of the smaller contact area 19" tires provide.

Hear that Tesla? Allow that downgrade credit and I'll give your more of my money!:biggrin:
The bundled 21" wheels are causing me heartburn, too. Actually, what I really want from the Performance package is the sports seating; this, too, is an item that has no necessary linkage to the power electronics! I fear that this is all "margin management" by Tesla.

I fear that this is all "margin management" by Tesla.
I'm curious what Tesla might allow versus what's published. Tesla apparently is a "this is the price" company, which I'm fine with as a sales model. However, I'm not really asking them to reduce the price so much as allow me a slightly non-standard handling of an option.

Me: How about I "sell" you these 21 inch rims for $3500 and you bolt on those 19" ones sitting over there in the corner? *wink* *wink*, *nudge* *nudge*

We've already got people talking about selling the 21" and getting 19", so it doesn't seem a big leap to have Tesla just handle it themselves.

Last edited: