Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Buyers: What's Your Income?

Model S Buyer: What's your annual gross income? (USD)

• Below $40,000

Votes: 10 1.0%
  • $40,000-$59,999

Votes: 25 2.6%
  • $60,000-$79,999

Votes: 52 5.4%
  • $80,000-$99,999

Votes: 65 6.8%
  • $100,000-$119,999

Votes: 69 7.2%
  • $120,000-$139,999

Votes: 73 7.6%
  • $140,000-$199,999

Votes: 191 19.9%
  • $200,000-$299,999

Votes: 183 19.0%
  • $300,000-$499,999

Votes: 156 16.2%
  • $500,000 or higher (swimmin' in cash)

Votes: 138 14.3%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Model S Buyers: What's Your Family Gross Income?

This is an ANONYMOUS poll of your annual FAMILY gross income, so we can get an idea of the range of incomes for Model S purchasers. Please complete it ONLY if you are planning on getting a Model S, and please DO NOT leave any posts revealing your own personal income.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, I think I messed it up. After Evan reminded me that I should clarify "Family" versus "Individual" income, I fixed my first post but was unable to fix the thread title. Moderators, perhaps you can fix it for me?

I wonder how many people cast votes for their individual income instead of family income.

You don't have "irregular" or "varies massively from year to year" as an option.

neroden, you are probably an outlier rather than the norm but, maybe, you can use some sort of a historical average over the past 3 years or so?!

Unfortunately, I think I messed it up. After Evan reminded me that I should clarify "Family" versus "Individual" income, I fixed my first post but was unable to fix the thread title. Moderators, perhaps you can fix it for me?

I wonder how many people cast votes for their individual income instead of family income.

Todd, it's unlikely that too many folks went with individual income. Buying a car falls within the family budget and definitely needs the significant other to be part of the equation (as we've seen with several posts on other threads :smile:).

I think the results thus far are seemingly as expected given the jobs that folks have and the price of the Model S.

This average strikes me as pretty typical for the market segment. I'd guess it's a lot of 2-income professions (both doctors, lawyers, engineers, etc) or 1 higher income (~100k) and the other a more typical (~50k). All are folks quite well off on the scale of things, but most aren't "model S out of spare cash" wealthy.

btw, >$500k folks aren't always "swimming' in cash." Between alimony, child support, mortgages, lease payments, property upkeep, tuition, horses, moorings, etc., there are high-income people can't write a check for $90k. I don't have much sympathy for their "plight," but I certainly know a few in that category. We all make choices....

btw, >$500k folks aren't always "swimming' in cash." Between alimony, child support, mortgages, lease payments, property upkeep, tuition, horses, moorings, etc., there are high-income people can't write a check for $90k. I don't have much sympathy for their "plight," but I certainly know a few in that category. We all make choices....

Amen! My father the accountant always told me that it's not about how much you earn, but how much you save. A millionaire who spends everything (or goes into debt) is poorer than someone who makes $100k and saves 20% every year. They key to living (and buying a Model S) is living below your means. It's paradoxical, but many very high earners live beyond their means. Case in point -- I just saw today that Leigh Steinberg (the inspiration for Jerry McGuire) filed for bankruptcy protection.

Interesting to see about 40% being in the top 2% (actually 2.6% have >$200k). I'd have thought it would be a lot more.

I should also note that - it depends a lot on where you are. $200k goes a long way in MO compared to the West Coast or North East.

Last edited:
Interesting to see about 40% being in the top 2% (actually 2.6% have >$200k). I'd have thought it would be a lot more.

I should also note that - it depends a lot on where you are. $200k goes a long way in MO compared to the West Coast or North East.

Kind of goes along with our forum sample I think, where currently about 28% are planning to get a Signature edition.