Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Updates Iconic Roadster for 2012 in Limited Markets

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

jcstp

Feb 7, 2011
Belgium
Tesla Updates Iconic Roadster for 2012 in Limited Markets -- PALO ALTO, California, January 11, 2012 /PRNewswire/ --

Exclusive encore colors - Cosmic Black, Galactic Gray and Magma Orange - with new, complimentary interior colors
A rear snow cover and improved motor and inverter systems for even better performance in snow and ice
Improved air conditioning for driver comfort in the hottest months
Xenon headlamps ideal for rural night driving
Enhanced front windscreen seals to make the cabin even quieter
Two new Mobile Connectors available for charging in Europe and Japan
The Tesla IEC Type 2 (Mennekes) Mobile Connector enables charging from Type 2 stations and outlets, the most common EV charging infrastructure in Europe
The J1772 Mobile Connector enables charging from a developing infrastructure of public J1772 charge stations in Japan

Updated Roadsters are available now in Europe, Asia and Australia, while they last.

Is Mennenkes charging on the roadster via 1 phase, or via all 3 ?
It's a cable with Mennekes (Type 2) on one end and Roadster on the other with a 32A current rating... so only useful for 1 Phase charging. Unfortunately, it has no impact on the Model S 3 Phase charging issue :crying:

The UK price for the Tesla cable is £933 including VAT. I believe that Henry's cable will be a similar price but 70A capable.

Last edited:
I'm interested in the improved AC!!! How do we get more info on that?

I believe this (and the noise kit) are now somewhat standard. The AC improvement is pretty simple. In most roadsters, the electric fans are mounted above the heat exchanger, to draw air through it. But there's also empty space around the fans, and the empty space doesn't present much resistance to air, whereas the heat exchanger does! The fix is basically a shroud around the fans so that the air they pump has to go through the heat exchanger. (I don't have this mod, but I've seen it.)

They've retrofitted my Roadster with that shroud. As part of the process they recharged my coolant loop (they replace the whole radiator unit, not just the fans). My car had been spitting "Compressor Overtemp" messages into the log ever since I first got it. Tesla didn't seem to be worried about it, but the messages stopped completely when they recharged my coolant loop. I'm now wondering if that was part of the reason for the anemic air conditioning.

Steve, I had specifically asked about the shroud last year when I was in for service (I think it was just a couple of weeks after they started putting in the shrouds on some cars) and was told they were targeting just those cars in areas that might have the kinds of conditions that would warrant it.

Interesting I have a 1.5 in NE Tennessee where the summers are not normally too bad. When the ranger came this past July he added the new cooling fans and they do help somewhat. So I for one was impressed that Tesla did this practively without me asking. Maybe they were just out of the kits for your servicing. They also had to replace my door sills and that took over 2 months. Not a problem but it seemed they had trouble getting the new sills.

Has anybody figured out what this is yet?
I heard back from Tesla. They said basically it is an upgraded motor and inverter system offered to customers that improve performance in snow and ice. The fix has only been applied to Roadsters that have had trouble in cold climates and encompasses slight modifications to the PEM and motor fans.

The wind noise fix sounds like the fix that is already on the Roadster 2.5 so nothing new. I was hoping they figured out something new.