Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Falcon Doors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Robert.Boston

Model S VIN P01536
Analyst Calls Tesla Model X Electric Crossover “Fast, Roomyâ€￾

Initial spec (i.e 0-60mph faster than a Porsche 911, 40% more room than an Audi Q7, all-wheel drive, etc.) and design (falcon door, aerodynamic body, etc) were impressive.

"Falcon door"? I can't believe that you'd say "falcon door" to me "self-lifting door handles." Sounds to me like some variant on gull-wing? Or perhaps some large slider, like this:
hyundai_hexa_space.jpg

Odd term; do we mean a falcon diving or landing?
8618581-sm.jpg

falcon-262.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
There are sometimes non-obvious safety and/or usability issues that prevent some "non-conventional" door designs from being acceptable.
One thing to consider is "how do you open the doors if the car rolls onto the roof?"

Couldn't that be asked of cars with Lamborghini or gullwing doors as well?

Gull-wing door - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
...The most obvious downside to having gull-wing doors is that, should the car roll over and come to rest on its roof, exit by the doors would be impossible, requiring a large wind screen opening to escape. The DeLorean had a windscreen that was able to be kicked out of place in the event of a roll-over...
...It also makes sealing the car against water leaks more difficult because of the shape and movement path of the door itself. Many DeLorean owners report leakage when taking their vehicles through automated car-washes because of the high-pressure water jets...

So we're going oth the assumption that they meant gullwing when they said falcon? If so, an suv with gullwing doors is going to be... Interesting. Wonder if they'll make production? Knowing elon though, if it's something he wanted, they definitely will.

So we're going oth the assumption that they meant gullwing when they said falcon? If so, an suv with gullwing doors is going to be... Interesting. Wonder if they'll make production? Knowing elon though, if it's something he wanted, they definitely will.

All the gullwing doors I've ever seen have been on two seaters. How would someone implement that with a 3-row crossover?