Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Arguments for the 160 mile S (if you’re not a millionaire of course)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here are my arguments for the 160 mile S

• No long waits to recharge because the car can’t go long distance, 99.9% of charging is done at home.
    • Long distance driving puts ware & tear on your nice luxury vehicle
    • Who wants to drive when you can fly anyway?
  • Be in a better cash position
    • You could also buy a Model X if you so choose.
    • It’s been said that the 160 S is a glorified leaf, but the groupies aren't
    • Dave Ramsey says never live for a car payment.
    • If you lose your current great job and can find another for a while theirs less chance of your car getting repo'ed. LOL!!
  • You’ll have a scarce $50K car that looks the same as a $90k+ car
  • Actually realize savings on your car travel expenses.
  • 0 to 60 in 6.5 sec isn’t that slow. (It’s faster than a Frisker)
  • Because you live 2 miles from your job like me.

My reason is that I don't ever go over 60 miles a day (work is 12 miles) and $10,000 is just to much for 0.6 seconds off my 0-60.

For an around the town car this is going to be pretty sweet:

40 kWh
Silver Metallic
Body Color Roof
19" - All Season Tires
Grey Nappa Leather with Piano Black Décor Accents
Tech Package
580 Watt Sound Studio Package (12 speakers)
Active Air Suspension
Parcel Shelf

John Griswell
Model S Production Reservation #6316

I am debating what size battery to order. For most of our driving the 160 range is more than adequate. Even the 300 will not work for long trips. On vacations we like to go to national parks and fairly remote areas. By purchasing the 160 we could purchase a slightly used ICE the next year or keep our old ICE cars going for a few years. On the other hand it would be really cool to be able to take weekend trips in the model S with a 300 mile range. At this point I have not decided.

I am debating what size battery to order. For most of our driving the 160 range is more than adequate. Even the 300 will not work for long trips. On vacations we like to go to national parks and fairly remote areas. By purchasing the 160 we could purchase a slightly used ICE the next year or keep our old ICE cars going for a few years. On the other hand it would be really cool to be able to take weekend trips in the model S with a 300 mile range. At this point I have not decided.
How many weekend trips do you take a year? If it's only a few times a year and the 40 kWh pack meets 99% of your driving then maybe keeping your ICE around makes sense.

It makes more sense to rent a car for those few times you need an ICE.

I will be able to get along just fine with the S-160, but little voices in the back of my head are trying to convince me that it will be oh-too-cool to be able to drive fom Newport Beach to Santa Barbara and back again on a single charge. I have to lie down until the voices stop.
After all, with that $20,000 price differential, I have to be *somewhat* practical.
But then the voices start murmering that with the S-300, I could make Las Vegas if I stopped in Barstow for lunch and a 90-minute charge.
If my wife ever starts hearing those little voices, its a done deal.

-- Ardie
Could I recover the 20 grand by winning it back? I dunno, but it could be worth a try...

I like the Dave Ramsey reference. Very smart financial/christian guy. However, Dave Ramsey would tell you to buy a Model S after it was 2 years old and the first owner had taken the initial depreciation cost for you. I think everyone should be buying the Model S brand new if they can afford it. The sooner we end our addiction to oil (foreign or domestic) the better.

I will be able to get along just fine with the S-160, but little voices in the back of my head are trying to convince me that it will be oh-too-cool to be able to drive fom Newport Beach to Santa Barbara and back again on a single charge. I have to lie down until the voices stop.
After all, with that $20,000 price differential, I have to be *somewhat* practical.
But then the voices start murmering that with the S-300, I could make Las Vegas if I stopped in Barstow for lunch and a 90-minute charge.
If my wife ever starts hearing those little voices, its a done deal.

-- Ardie
Could I recover the 20 grand by winning it back? I dunno, but it could be worth a try...

Yeah, I know how you feel. I had that same voice in my head. I think its Mr. Green (Revolver movie reference).

Annoying? Having to store, maintain, and insure a vehicle I rarely use is annoying...

If you have someone to park it, then it's fine. I don't drive my R8 during the winter (anymore), but it's hardly annoying. It sits happily in the garage with no insurance bills to pay. I'm not doing maintenance on it, because I'm not driving it.

On the flipside, the rental process is always annoying to me. Even if you find a place that picks you up (so you don't have to actually find one and drive to it), you've got paperwork, you've got mileage concerns etc. It's not your own vehicle, so you're not 100% familiar with it. You have to worry about a return schedule etc -- I don't know about you, but if I go on a trip where I drive a long distance, I typically get home, and go pass out. I don't even unpack the car right away, let alone run to the rental place and return it.

Let's not even consider spur of the moment trips.

As dsm said, if you've already got the car, then there's no issues. Selling it and renting a car just sounds like more of a headache than just keeping it for when you need it. I bet it would come in handy more than one might think (especially with the 160m pack).