Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Volvo XC60 PHEV

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A friend of mine who worked on it said they went from five engineers to fifty just for the electric drive train last year (2011), automotive companies are putting more and more resources in to electric powertrains every day now. Funny thing. I saw they copied the power/regen meter idea from the roadster on their C30 EV :)
2011-Volvo-C30-EV_Image-i01-1024.jpg

Volvo XC60 Plug In Hybrid shows where the company is headed

Here are the numbers: a 35-mile all-electric range, a recharging time of just 3.5 hours from a 220V outlet (7.5 hours from a more common 110V). Volvo estimates U.S. fuel economy of 105 MPGe and 50 mpg when the battery runs dry. 0-60 is reached in 5.8 seconds on the way to a 130 mph top speed. Oh, and eight gears in an auto transmission.

Petroleum is burned in a four-cylinder, 2-liter, turbocharged direct-injected gasoline engine that has stop-start technology. This 280-horsepower powerplant moves the front wheels, and a 70-hp electric motor propels the back wheels (this is known as a through-the-road hybrid). The XC60 PHEV has a 12-kWh lithium-ion battery, but just 66 percent of that (8 kWh) is used.