Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bad wrecks: #1007 & #1412

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

TEG

Teslafanatic
Aug 20, 2006
#1007:
Salvage TESLA ROADSTER for sale RED 2010 year Metro DC MD – lot 35659605 - repairable, damaged, wrecked autos | Car From US
aW1hZ2VpZD05MTIzMzk1NyZpbWFnZXR5cGU9MCZicmFuY2g9NzIxJnN0b2Nrbm89OTAxMjUyOSZpbWdvcmRlcj0y&lang=en.gif

#1412:
2011 TESLA ROADSTER SALVAGE CERTIFICATE For Sale in MARTINEZ, CA at Copart Auto Auctions
28809351_6X.JPG

Yeah, I'm starting to wonder if Roadsters have an extremely high crash percentage, or if it's just because it's the only vehicle that TEG keeps track of and I notice it more.

Would need to compare to other cars that can accelerate 0-60 in under 4s.
The quiet and smooth way it accelerates can also catch someone by surprise.
Also, the carbon fiber + aluminum design tends to result in salvage status from any major accident that intrudes into the chassis.

It could also be that more people use the Roadsters as daily commuters (like I do). I doubt many people use Ferraris and the like as daily commuters. It would be interesting the know what the story is for these 2 crashes. My wife and I are pretty concerned about crashing the Roadster now that there are no new ones. Do you know what insurance would pay for? Since there are no new ones would they look at the used car prices? Or pay back the original price?

The quiet and smooth way it accelerates can also catch someone by surprise.

Yes, you have to be very aware of that risk when driving the Roadster. People don't expect your acceleration capabilities, and they also assume that cars make a lot of noise when accelerating. If they think they're alone then they don't bother looking. I've become very attuned to drivers who might not be aware of my presence.

Also, the carbon fiber + aluminum design tends to result in salvage status from any major accident that intrudes into the chassis.

I think that's the bigger problem. A minor accident is repairable... a moderately severe crash will result in a write-off.

It could also be that more people use the Roadsters as daily commuters (like I do). I doubt many people use Ferraris and the like as daily commuters. It would be interesting the know what the story is for these 2 crashes. My wife and I are pretty concerned about crashing the Roadster now that there are no new ones. Do you know what insurance would pay for? Since there are no new ones would they look at the used car prices? Or pay back the original price?
You have to call your insurance company to double check. I can't remember the actual terms but one kind of insurance (more common, cheaper kind which is the only one my insurance will provide) will pay what 'fair market value' for the used car is. I think it's possible to get insurance for full, new car price but it seems to be tough to get and likely much more expensive.

Do (non-cf) Elises end up with the same issue?...
To some degree, yes, I think so.

Help with a total loss claim (victoria insurance) - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
...It was a sad day at the shop today when I raised my car in the air to find three minor dents in the aluminum floor pan on the passenger side, approximately right underneath the seat. To my knowledge from searching on the forums.. no matter the damage done to this area its considered a total loss since you have to replace the entire tub...

Evaluating the frame of my salvage Elise - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
...according to Lotus that the frame cannot be repaired...

Lotus: Aluminium Extrusions and Adhesives
...One disadvantage of the bonded design of an aluminum chassis still remains, however. Maintenance and repair is not quite as easy as with steel. Should such a chassis be damaged in an accident, it cannot be repaired by any back-street garage. The bonding conditions are too exacting for that. However, the Elise chassis has been so designed that extra bolt holes have been formed in those areas susceptible to damage. These holes are there so that a plate can be bolted on to the existing structure to compensate for the damage, should it occur. In the event of a serious collision, the body and the chassis can be separated and whichever is beyond repair can be replaced...

#1007 is up for auction tomorrow and the pics on copart are nowhere near as bad as the pics on that link.
A colleague has seen the vehicle and said it's 'in a real mess'. We bid in last weeks auction and thought we won it at $14,000 only to be told later by the broker "the email syas that you are the highest bidder. the lot 20707392 has a sales status On Minimum bid, that means that the car has a reserve price. as the reserve was not met, the seller relisted the car for another sale". We challenged Copart because we could find no such sales status but they don't answer any emails and we can't get to the bottom of this by phone. We don't plan to bid again....