Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New info from my Tesla 'dealer/genius'

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I just came back from the Santana Row store. They have a black signature series beta 2.0 on display with black leather and piano black accents. If you REALLY like black this is your car. ;) A few interesting things he shared with me. The performance version is going to get a spoiler in the back as well as they are working on an updated hood for it to help differentiate that it's the performance version.

They are still working on the finishing touches and from what he knew the Signature series is still going to get some little extras like upgraded hand stitching in the leather. He wasn't sure of anything else.

Test rides and more factory events are coming. (We already knew that). And they will be getting models for test drives at the Santana Row and Menlo Park stores "soon". He said maybe even at the factory so you can take it on the high speed test loop, but that wasn't for sure.

I can't imagine their insurance would cover "civilians" driving on the high speed test loop.

A spoiler on the Sport would be nice. Probably a small one like Mercedes puts on their AMG models.
It'd probably be the same deal when you sign up for one of those high performance driving schools. You'd sign all kinds of things, wear a helmet and you'd have someone sitting in the passenger seat with you and you'd be the only one out on the track.

Man I'd love the sport, but it's just so much more than the model I want given I'd rather have 19" wheels. It's +12k. *sigh* I simply can't afford it, I'm already stretching and then some. I could, in theory, drop the tech package, peal white, and sound, and only be +4k, but then I'd be losing out on options I'd really like. The extra performance just wouldn't be worth giving up those other options.

If it was, say, +6k or so, I'd get it.

Last edited:
ckessel, you only live once (and then you're dead). Borrow it, sell stuff, take on a bit more work, whatever it takes. You have at least six or nine months to come up with something. Then you'll have exactly the car of your dreams!

ckessel, you only live once (and then you're dead). Borrow it, sell stuff, take on a bit more work, whatever it takes. You have at least six or nine months to come up with something. Then you'll have exactly the car of your dreams!
Yea, I try to say that, but it's expensive enough I'd feel regret on it. I've got a wife, kids in college, etc. I refuse to take on debt period beyond my house unless it's a survival necessity. I hear what you're saying, I do, but all things held in balance, I wouldn't feel good about it. Add to the fact it's really increases my tire costs and reduce tire longevity, it costs a lot more long term too.

That doesn't stop me from daydreaming on it though.

Spoiler on what is effectively a hatch? Any pics of the car? Especially interior?
It already has a mild spoiler
http://www.teslamotors.com/models/gallery#5
But I guess it will something a little more aggressive. I can see it.
I was leaning towards the standard model but I'd be interested in seeing the final version if it has bad arse looks. So far I am pleased with the exterior design.

Sorry I didn't take pics of the interior. They did allow me to sit in it though it was roped off. I got wowed by the touchscreens and talking to my friends I had lunch with at Santana Row. I purposely chose the lunch venue. =) I think this is going to be there till the final version is released if someone wants to go and get an update. He did say the center armrest was still not final and that it was taken from Mercedes till they finalized theirs. The leather on the doors and dash areas is nice but still not polished. I also noticed they had accent lighting on the door illuminating the armrest/door pull which is nice. I forgot to check the vents. That was one thing that was noticeably shoddy on the previous beta I saw.

Yeah, I suppose if done right, and subtle, it can work. I wonder if they're putting new things into the current batch of cars, sending them to stores, getting feedback and then revising? Seems the smartest thing to do, and Tesla is a Silicon Valley company after all -- rapid prototyping and revision is in their blood.

*edit*

Sort of hard to see, but this is the best pic I have. Here's the Spoiler on my old GLI:

l.jpg

I can see something similar working here:

styling-hero.jpg

Perhaps someone can photoshop it.

Last edited:
A super charger bump or a scoop on the hood would be so tongue-in-cheek. :wink:
I was thinking the same thing. I always imagine how aliens laugh at how crude our putt-putt automobiles are making all that noise and having all these air scoops for cooling these hot engines. A UFO would have a smooth slippery exterior and quiet and fast...hey, sounds like an electric car we know. ;)

Perhaps instead a carbon fiber insert? I really like the black vents on the white roadster.