Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Air Suspension and Body Roll

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am wondering about the air suspension option on the Model S and body roll and pitch. Were the tour cars equipped with the air suspension? Anyone ask about how pronounced the reduction in boll roll the air suspension provides? I am less interested in the aerodynamic against then increased handling.

Thanks,

I am wondering about the air suspension option on the Model S and body roll and pitch. Were the tour cars equipped with the air suspension? Anyone ask about how pronounced the reduction in boll roll the air suspension provides? I am less interested in the aerodynamic against then increased handling.

Thanks,

My understanding is the test ride cars on 10/1 did have the Air Suspension. Unfortunately only the employees at Tesla know what a difference Air Suspension makes because they're the only ones who have driven the Model S with and without it.

In general I believe Air Suspension has the potential to greatly improve handling, ride quality and aerodynamics (by lowering the car on the highway.)

Because of the low center of gravity due to the location of the battery pack the Model S should perform well from a pitch and roll perspective even without the Air Suspension. With it you potentially could have a world class ride.

Last edited:
I think it must resemble the pneumatic suspension Citroen uses!

Damping gets firmer in corners and flat surfaces, and gets softer on bad surfaces and slow speed!

Range-Rover uses same system to get their vehicles corner like sportscars (hard suspension) on asphalt and soft on straits and bad surfaces! Also used to increase rideheight in extreme situations!

Can also be used to heighten or lower the car for easyer acces!

Damping gets firmer in corners and flat surfaces, and gets softer on bad surfaces and slow speed!

Range-Rover uses same system to get their vehicles corner like sportscars (hard suspension) on asphalt and soft on straits and bad surfaces! Also used to increase rideheight in extreme situations!

Citroen uses hydraulic (oil) pump and nitrogen. Most other high end cars use only air pump. The results are similar, unless you are Citroen.

Air suspension - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Citroen uses hydraulic pump (oil) which compresses nitrogen. Most high end cars using "air suspension" use an air pump, with no hydraulic oil involved. Many advantages, used on large trucks and busses even, probably similar in ways, unless you are Citroen.

Air suspension - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Tesla Model S will be using an air suspension system by Continental according to this article: Latest News : Vehicle Dynamics International

In other news, following the success of the Jeep Grand Cherokee, a second Conti-equipped car will hit the streets Stateside at the end of 2011 in the form of the Tesla Model S, which will be the first EV with air suspension. As such, it’s not only the first time Continental has worked with an OEM in tech-savvy California, but a demanding application in efficiency terms.

Company's web site: Continental Automotive -Electronic Air Suspension System

At the risk of touching off another round of complaints, here is a list of other systems that Continental AG can supply to Tesla:

Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC) - ACC follows the flow of traffic ahead of the vehicle, even if its forward progress is only stop-and-go.

Blind Spot Detection (BSD) - Blind Spot Detection warns the driver when there are vehicles in the blind spot of the side-view mirror.

Emergency Brake Assist (EBA) - Emergency Brake Assist detects critical traffic situations and ensures optimum braking.

Intelligent Headlamp Control (IHC) - Optimal night vision is essential particularly at night when the risk of an accident is twice as great as during the day.

Lane Departure Warning (LDW) - The Lane Departure Warning (LDW) driver assistance system alerts the driver with acoustical or haptic warnings before his vehicle is about to leave the lane.

Traffic Sign Recognition (TSR) - Just drive and let the car look out for the current speed limits – it won’t slip out of its mind

Continental Automotive -Advanced Driver Assistance Systems

OK all except the TSR which I did not know about.

Wait, I read that as meaning that he was ok with the car lacking the other options except without TSR he didn't want it. But on second read, it looks like he cares about all the options except TSR. That makes a bit more sense. So if that's what he means, then no winky needed - no joke. I guess the joke is on me.

I order to clarify my post I think that ACC, BSD, EBA, IHC and LDW are must haves in a LUXURY car and TSR would be a nice thing to have that I had not previously known about. And I guess I should have said I am not getting the car because it does not have these things as options.

Okay the alphabet soup is getting to be a bit much... bears repeating:

ACC = Adaptive Cruise Control
BSD = Blind Spot Detection
EBA = Emergency Brake Assist
IHC = Intelligent Headlamp Control
LDW = Lane Departure Warning
TSR = Traffic Sign Recognition

ACC - nice to have, will miss it
BSD - nah, I use Multivex mirrors and turning my head
EBA - for the driver with sleep disorders
IHC - sounds nice
LDW - for the driver with sleep disorders
TSR - for the driver with no brain... if you're not paying attention, having a machine do it for you really isn't going to help

Last edited:
I order to clarify my post I think that ACC, BSD, EBA, IHC and LDW are must haves in a LUXURY car and TSR would be a nice thing to have that I had not previously known about. And I guess I should have said I am not getting the car because it does not have these things as options.
I think it very likely that Tesla will include this full suite in a couple of years. Getting even the "basic" Model S out the door is undoubtedly a heroic effort. Adding on this suite initially would have added to costs and delays, which Tesla simply cannot afford.

As for me, I have never had any of these options, never had an accident, and am happy not to have six more things to break.

that's a good question. Did anyone notice any good amount of body roll? Let us know.