Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bellingham to get first high-speed electric vehicle charger in statewide project

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The state plans to install a medium-speed charger at the Custer rest area along I-5, part of a demonstration for visitors from Canada. But it can't install and activate the station until it finds a sponsor to pay for the electricity costs, which are expected to be minimal, Buell said. Underground electrical work has already taken place to get the rest area ready for the station.

Read more here: Bellingham to get first high-speed electric vehicle charger in statewide project - Local News - bellinghamherald.com

This sounds confusing to me!
Why not pay for the electricity used, instead of getting it free?
Simple solution for simple problem?

This sounds confusing to me!
Why not pay for the electricity used, instead of getting it free?
Simple solution for simple problem?

Unfortunately it's not as simple as it sounds.

There will be a fee for electricity at most of the stations, which will be on private property. But at the two rest-stop stations (which are public property) the state is unable to charge for electricity due to a complex set of laws--largely concern about the state competing with private interests. The state is also not allowed to give things away at taxpayer expense. So...they need to find a sponsor to give it away at the sponsor's expense.

In practice, this is no big deal. L2 chargers at two rest stops in the state are hardly going to get any use, especially with DCQC stations in range. I'm not sure why the state even put these in.

Sounds like Plug in America should step into the void here.

We did consider that. But I think it's a better match for the state's EVA's to band together and sponsor them. Better yet, use an organization like Adopt-A-Charger, which was created just for this purpose. I believe we pointed the WA DOT at Adopt-A-Charger, but I'll check to make sure that really happened.