I am hopeful that there will be Tesla superchargers along all the long distance routes I drive, but I doubt it will happen.
I plan to get an 85kW car, and I want a CHAdeMO adapter even if supercharger support significantly exceeds my expectations.
I sent mail to Tesla asking about a CHAdeMO adapter and this was the response I got:
We have not committed to offering a CHAdeMO adapter at this time, although we certainly understand that many customers are interested in such a product. There are some very significant differences between CHAdeMO and the Model S connector, and unfortunately I donít have any information at this stage about the feasibility of creating such an adapter, nor any capability or pricing information. Thank you though for asking, as this helps us gauge what products to offer in the future.
Tesla might read this forum and get feedback from it, but I think it is imperative that everyone with a reservation email Tesla and ask about it.
Tell everyone you know who has a reservation to send mail and ask.
My suggestions for points:
1. I would definitely buy the adapter at a reasonable price.
2. I would most likely buy the adapter at a reasonable price.
3. I will buy the car anyway if no adapter is available, but expect disappointment and frustration without it.
4. I would not buy the car without the adapter.
5. I plan to buy a 40kW Model S and need the CHAdeMO adapter to support at least X kW charge rate.