Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reasons to upgrade to 60kWh

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've posted this in other forums, but I wanted to include it here as well.

Even if Tesla relents and allows some kind of "supercharger" access for the 40kWh packs, there are still plenty of reasons that the $10k upgrade to 60kWh is worth it. In fact, I think the 230 miler is the sweet spot.

1. Adds to the longevity of the pack. After 10 years, at 70% reduction, the 230 miler will be reduced to 160 mile range.
2. Does enable access to superchargers if that's what you want.
3. Adds flexibility to your weekend excursions. Without gasoline expenses, weekend runs will be much more desirable and enjoyable. Wouldn't it be nice to have that elbow room?
4. If you have to turn around immediately after work and go somewhere else, that elbow room might make all the difference.
5. Yes, it would add a bit better acceleration. Not a bad thing.
6. All of the above would certainly add significantly to the resale value of the car!
7. Last but not least, get the car at least a month earlier!

If you limit your options to metallic paint and the pano roof, you're still below $65,000 out the door.

Any other reasons you can think of?

If you limit your options to metallic paint and the pano roof, you're still below $65,000 out the door.

Speak for yourself, my Washington-state-no-sales-tax-on-EVs friend :smile: Here in Alameda county, CA, we've got to fork out another 8.75% (computed on $67,400 + options before the fed credit) before driving this puppy home!

But, yes, these are precisely the reasons for which I'm going for the 230 pack myself, primarily potential range anxiety after a few years with the battery degradation. Sub-6 second 0-60 is cool too.

Speak for yourself, my Washington-state-no-sales-tax-on-EVs friend :smile:

Yes, you're right; that would be a consideration. :redface:

Before the performance package was announced in October, I had my P reservation for a 230 miler even though a 160 would easily meet my needs. The advantages of the 230 are just too large, without even taking into consideration the supercharging system.

But that frickin Elon and his frickin performance package cost me big time! I can't wait! :love:

1. Adds to the longevity of the pack. After 10 years, at 70% reduction, the 230 miler will be reduced to 160 mile range.
I agree with other points - but we have to be careful with this one. Lithium batteries degrade with just age - even if you don't use them. There are some articles that say the degradation after 80% will not be linear - but could be exponentially faster.

I don't think anyone can safely assume 160 mile after 10 years.

I was in the camp of 40 or 85 kWh. Either I was going big so I could make longer trips (Portland, Or to Seattle for example) or I'd go small because my daily needs never exceed maybe 80 miles, such as going to the airport and back. After seeing the info on the 40kWh, that's a no-go. 6.5s 0-60 is pretty sluggish for that much money, and the 60kWh battery just doesn't fit a driving need for me. If I'd been planning on the 40kWh, I'd probably just keep my current car and wait a few more years for something like the BlueStar to come out.

Not meant to be serious.

You should be able to drive from your dealership to your home? I live in Portland and my nearest dealership is more than 160 miles away. I am sure I can find some charging station in between by then but I wont like that first drive experience.

It seems that when people are calculating ranges they forget about cold/hot weather. In mild California winter with 40 degree F weather my range in my Volt drops from 45-50 miles/charge to 30-35 miles/charge. I've heard some on the East coast only get 25 miles per charge when it's really chilly out. The Volt is rated at 35mpc average.

That's why I am going for the 300mpc version. If battery degradation after 10 years is down to 240mpc and winter heat or summer A/C takes another 30% then I'm down to 160 in severe conditions on an old pack.

Not meant to be serious.

You should be able to drive from your dealership to your home? I live in Portland and my nearest dealership is more than 160 miles away. I am sure I can find some charging station in between by then but I wont like that first drive experience.

Not meant as a joke, but I think they'll deliver it to your door step if you need. At least that's what Tesla seems to have done with Roadsters.

Not meant as a joke, but I think they'll deliver it to your door step if you need. At least that's what Tesla seems to have done with Roadsters.
Not really a 60kWh thing though :).

I'm wondering how Tesla will deliver the Model S. Individual to-the-door deliveries might make sense for a $150k car you produce in the hundreds each year, but I don't think it makes sense when you're delivering a couple thousand per month. They'll need to batch up deliveries to areas when they can to keep delivery costs under control and someone has to help show the car upon receipt.

I'm wondering how Tesla will deliver the Model S. Individual to-the-door deliveries might make sense for a $150k car you produce in the hundreds each year, but I don't think it makes sense when you're delivering a couple thousand per month. They'll need to batch up deliveries to areas when they can to keep delivery costs under control and someone has to help show the car upon receipt.

Maybe an in-person demo/delivery at the dealer. Then once the paperwork is done, they schedule it to be shipped to you if you live far? When I asked at the NYC store, they were not yet sure what the deal was going to be.

The Roadster also had a $1950 delivery charge, I'm guessing that would cover home delivery to most locations. (For myself, living about 20 minutes away from Freemont, I'd be more than a little miffed if I wouldn't be able to get out of this by picking it up myself...)