I've posted this in other forums, but I wanted to include it here as well.
Even if Tesla relents and allows some kind of "supercharger" access for the 40kWh packs, there are still plenty of reasons that the $10k upgrade to 60kWh is worth it. In fact, I think the 230 miler is the sweet spot.
1. Adds to the longevity of the pack. After 10 years, at 70% reduction, the 230 miler will be reduced to 160 mile range.
2. Does enable access to superchargers if that's what you want.
3. Adds flexibility to your weekend excursions. Without gasoline expenses, weekend runs will be much more desirable and enjoyable. Wouldn't it be nice to have that elbow room?
4. If you have to turn around immediately after work and go somewhere else, that elbow room might make all the difference.
5. Yes, it would add a bit better acceleration. Not a bad thing.
6. All of the above would certainly add significantly to the resale value of the car!
7. Last but not least, get the car at least a month earlier!
If you limit your options to metallic paint and the pano roof, you're still below $65,000 out the door.
Any other reasons you can think of?