Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Likelihood of a CHAdeMO adapter for the Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

widodh

Model S 100D and Y LR
Jan 23, 2011
Venlo, NL
We know almost for certain that the Model S will not support CHAdeMO if Tesla does not provide an adapter. There have been some rumors about it, but nothing concrete. At this point we have to assume that CHAdeMO charging will not be supported.

In this thread: Ads which illustrate why I am so pissed about Tesla's marketing of the 160 it came up again and I felt it deserves a dedicated thread.

With the Nissan Leaf quick/fast chargers started being installed on various locations. In Europe (NL, BE, DE, CH & UK) a lot of those chargers are being installed. Nissan recently announced that they will donate 400 50kW CHAdeMO chargers.

In the Netherlands BP also announced that they are going to install CHAdeMO chargers along motor ways.

This is mainland Europe only, but in the UK Nissan is also installing various CHAdeMO chargers.

I also guess the same is happening in the USA (couldn't find a map of it..).

No, these chargers won't be able to charge a Model S with a 85kWh battery within 45 min, but it's a LOT quicker than a 40A charge. (Which isn't possible in Europe).

A the CHAdeMO chargers are being rolled out, one would assume Tesla would support CHAdeMO, but currently they are not.

I'd like to discuss the likelihood of an adapter coming out for the Model S.

The current guess is that the Model S will support the new SAE J1772 DC protocol which has a different signaling then CHAdeMO does.

How hard will it be to produce such an adapter and would it be possible that a 3rd party company would bring out such an adapter? (Or even the 'community'?)

Last edited:
How hard will it be to produce such an adapter and would it be possible that a 3rd party company would bring out such an adapter? (Or even the 'community'?)

I was thinking the same thing. If it's fairly simple, then I don't see why Tesla couldn't at least offer them for purchase to UK customers. Even if it isn't free/standard, I'd imagine it would still be worthwhile to those abroad who really need it in their areas.

As for aftermarket/the community, I imagine after people get their hands on the officially-offered adapters, they may be able to reverse-engineer them and come up with something. Of course this may end up affecting your warranty.

I was thinking the same thing. If it's fairly simple, then I don't see why Tesla couldn't at least offer them for purchase to UK customers. Even if it isn't free/standard, I'd imagine it would still be worthwhile to those abroad who really need it in their areas.

As for aftermarket/the community, I imagine after people get their hands on the officially-offered adapters, they may be able to reverse-engineer them and come up with something. Of course this may end up affecting your warranty.
Any particular reason why you point out UK customers?

It only has to do with signaling difference between CHAdeMO and SAE J1172 DC (if!), but could something like that be solved? Such an adapter needs active processing of both signals and will need power to do so. Where would the adapter get it's power from?

500V DC is 500V DC, no converting needed on that point.

You might also run into different problems. Could it be that the adapter would become to heavy for the socket? The CHAdeMO cables are also quite thick and heavy. They might put to much stress on the charge port.

Lying the adapter on the ground will be forbidden I guess due to safety reasons.

Any particular reason why you point out UK customers?

It only has to do with signaling difference between CHAdeMO and SAE J1172 DC (if!), but could something like that be solved? Such an adapter needs active processing of both signals and will need power to do so. Where would the adapter get it's power from?

500V DC is 500V DC, no converting needed on that point.

You might also run into different problems. Could it be that the adapter would become to heavy for the socket? The CHAdeMO cables are also quite thick and heavy. They might put to much stress on the charge port.

Lying the adapter on the ground will be forbidden I guess due to safety reasons.

I don't see it being more heavy than a 70 amp J1772 cable which weighs about 20 lbs. We know that this adapter is available!

No mal-intent. Only because it seems most calls for it come from European customers. I should have said European not UK.
Ah, ok.

I've been looking for the CHAdeMO wiring diagram. Does anyone know if a CHAdeMO station delivers something like 12V where a adapter could run on? It will need power since it needs to translate the signaling.

CHAdeMO Technology

interface.jpg

Maybe include some rechargable batteries that are replenished when the 12V lines are active?

We know almost for certain that the Model S will not support CHAdeMO if Tesla does not provide an adapter. There have been some rumors about it, but nothing concrete. At this point we have to assume that CHAdeMO charging will not be supported.

I'd like to discuss the likelihood of an adapter coming out for the Model S.

Yeah, this is the one thing keeping me from reserving one. Granted, there are a few other things I'm not too fond about (like the current interior) but they are minor in comparison to missing the charging option that will make long-distance travel possible. Especially since I'll be buying the car mostly for long distance driving. We will keep the Leaf for around-town errands and such, which the Model S is way too big for.

Also I'd guess the 50kW CHAdeMO would be gentler on the battery than a 90kW Tesla "Supercharger". I have no illusions about 90kW units popping up all around Norway any time soon but CHAdeMO chargers is arriving by the dozen.

Without a CHAdeMO adapter our Leaf will be a more capable long-distance car than the Model S :(

Here in TN Cracker Barrel has begun a roll out of CHADeMO and J1772 connectors. The rumor is all reasturaunts will have J1772 and every other store the fast DC chargers. Check on plugshare for the latest details. I really think Tesla would be foolish not to support this standard.

I am hopeful that there will be Tesla superchargers along all the long distance routes I drive, but I doubt it will happen.
I plan to get an 85kW car, and I want a CHAdeMO adapter even if supercharger support significantly exceeds my expectations.
I sent mail to Tesla asking about a CHAdeMO adapter and this was the response I got:

We have not committed to offering a CHAdeMO adapter at this time, although we certainly understand that many customers are interested in such a product. There are some very significant differences between CHAdeMO and the Model S connector, and unfortunately I don’t have any information at this stage about the feasibility of creating such an adapter, nor any capability or pricing information. Thank you though for asking, as this helps us gauge what products to offer in the future.

Tesla might read this forum and get feedback from it, but I think it is imperative that everyone with a reservation email Tesla and ask about it.
Tell everyone you know who has a reservation to send mail and ask.
My suggestions for points:
1. I would definitely buy the adapter at a reasonable price.
2. I would most likely buy the adapter at a reasonable price.
3. I will buy the car anyway if no adapter is available, but expect disappointment and frustration without it.
4. I would not buy the car without the adapter.
Optional:
5. I plan to buy a 40kW Model S and need the CHAdeMO adapter to support at least X kW charge rate.

evgonetwork (evgonetwork.com) has committed pretty heavily to CHAdeMO chargers in the Houston and Dallas/Fort Worth areas of Texas. I would like to second the assertion that it would be foolish of Tesla not to support this standard on Model S, and hopefully for the Roadster as well. Because of the already excellent network of chargers, it would open up travel with the Roadster and S to these cities from Austin and San Antonio with the minimum of recharge time.

I have seen one of those stations around. It doesn't get used very much at all, partially because evgonetwork is a subscription service where even if you don't use it they still bill you per month. (not to mention that the EVSE that they will rent to you is only rated at 20-30A)

I think I remember Eberhard asking for a CHAdeMO a while back. (I may be mistaken though)

Last edited:
I really question evgonetwork's business model. The subscriptions are fairly steep, and are geared toward users in the metropolitan areas that they're serving. I spoke to them last week, and they are allegedly working on a plan for out of metro users who would want to pay as they go.

I'm hoping this comes to fruition, as even the J1772's are placed at key locations in both Dallas and Houston to make Austin travel to these cities less of a range anxiety-inducing nightmare.