Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Connectivity Package

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I hope Tesla makes that clear before we end up with more blowups. For the record, I do understand it to be a paid-for service with some sort of trial. I THINK there may be a free portion for basic data functionality like iPhone app control etc, though that may get optioned into a package as well.

I vaguely remember it being said that you can actually get the car to connect to your own wifi as well, so if you already have tethering on your phone or mobile hotspot, you might be able to use that (which I prefer, we have connectivity in our A6 and it's via T-Mobile who has spotty reception at best in our area).

I THINK there may be a free portion for basic data functionality like iPhone app control etc, though that may get optioned into a package as well.

Yes it seems like some basic data is a must, because if you normally tether to your phone, but walk away with your phone then you cannot remotely access the car to activate the HVAC etc.

I have a hard time believing that Tesla will cover the cost of basic data for the life of the car. Wouldn't be surprised to see a $20/month plan like what the carriers offer for ipads.

I'm hoping for about $20/month for 2GB of data. If it's more than that, then I'll probably pass and go with wi-fi in my garage and tethering for driving. Having it connected while it's parked away from home isn't that important to me.

Hi,

I'm embarrassed to admit I'm not familiar with this subject, and obviously Tesla hasn't put anything in writing regarding connectivity features. :redface: Nevertheless, would someone please explain, in simple terms, some of the issues and potential features that would use this connectivity capability?

I gather that a Connectivity package would be a hardware option that permits the car to access the Internet like a cell phone?

To use this capability it is likely that we will have to purchase a data plan from our cell phone provider even if we have one for our phones?

The main application would be the ability to use a smartphone to communicate with the Model S?

Would this connectivity be necessary to use the turn-by-turn navigation system, either while obtaining real-time directions or to receive periodic updates of the maps?

Without this connectivity package and additional data plan accessing the Internet websites on the 17" infotainment screen would not be possible, nor receiving Internet radio stations?

I assume that even without the connectivity package we could still connect mobile devices via the USB ports to play songs on iPods, etc?

Are there any other potential features that the connectivity package might support, such as an OnStar like system, etc?

Thanks.

Larry

If you get the "tech" package then you'll have turn-by-turn with or without Internet connectivity. To get Spotify and other Internet radio or to surf the web, you'd need a cellular broadband package.

I don't see it as really necessary and I doubt I'll be keeping it past the trial period, but you never know.

Hi Larry, I'll try to answer your questions and maybe others can chime in....

I gather that a Connectivity package would be a hardware option that permits the car to access the Internet like a cell phone?
Like a smart phone, yes.

To use this capability it is likely that we will have to purchase a data plan from our cell phone provider even if we have one for our phones?
We all seem to be assuming so. There's some speculation that a basic package may be included in a top of the line spec car (e.g. Sig) but Tesla hasn't said anything on that AFAIK.

The main application would be the ability to use a smartphone to communicate with the Model S?
One of the applications, yes. However, using a smartphone to communicate with the car might only require a basic connection such as a GSM chip. We don't know details yet.

Would this connectivity be necessary to use the turn-by-turn navigation system, either while obtaining real-time directions or to receive periodic updates of the maps?
No, the turn-by-turn nav is available as part of the tech package. Nothing has been said about map updates yet.

Without this connectivity package and additional data plan accessing the Internet websites on the 17" infotainment screen would not be possible, nor receiving Internet radio stations?
Correct.

I assume that even without the connectivity package we could still connect mobile devices via the USB ports to play songs on iPods, etc?
Correct.

Are there any other potential features that the connectivity package might support, such as an OnStar like system, etc?
I don't think anyone knows that yet. But there are all sorts of Apps available which can apparently work on the touchscreen, so it's likely that something will be available but who knows whether it will be from Tesla or how exactly that might work.

Caveat on all the above is that Tesla hasn't released details yet....

Last edited:
If you get the "tech" package then you'll have turn-by-turn with or without Internet connectivity. To get Spotify and other Internet radio or to surf the web, you'd need a cellular broadband package.

I don't see it as really necessary and I doubt I'll be keeping it past the trial period, but you never know.

Hi Mycroft,

Thanks.

Larry

What is a GSM chip?
See:
GSM - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I think he is basically saying that the car is likely to include a cell device that could exchange control messages with your GSM capable phone device.
Seems like all EV providers are giving out some smart phone software to do things like monitor battery fullyness, remote turn on the climate control system, etc.

Yes, you're both right..... I meant either a basic cell device (early G) that could handle sms, which might manifest itself as a GSM modem....Or something else. Look at the Roadster threads, Tattler and OVMS are great ideas which don't require full connectivity packages. In any case, it would mean being able to control the car without needing a full connectivity package.